All-Ireland Final, September 18th, 2016 - Dublin v Mayo

Started by IolarCoisCuain, August 28, 2016, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: blast05 on September 04, 2016, 08:59:16 AM
Yee're far too middle aged, middle class and sensible lads  ;)
Its a bloody All-Ireland final and the last time we played them in it in 2013, we were quite as lambs when the game was in the balance.... 16th man my arse. The time when we were needed most and we went missing. We were a collective embarrassment. Its nonsense to say we were just trying to breath. Thats complete bullsh*t.
Were we able to just breath in the 2nd half of the Kerry draw in '14. Of course - but we were also able to roar our heads off until we were hoarse.
The worst type of bloody supporter .... sitting back waiting for the team to do something before we getting involved

Why not roar and shout and sing all the way through .... more power to them. Why not collectively organise through the various social media channels to have a rendition of the chorus of the 'Green and Red of Mayo' commence immediately upon completion of the final bar of the National Anthem. And again at the 10th minute, the 20 minute and so on .... and promise to yourself that you will immediately stand to your feet and start roaring 'Mayo, Mayo....' the moment you hear someone else doing it. And if there is a lull/quiet period, then you don't wait for someone else - you get up and start the roaring yourself.

Yee're far too middle aged, middle class and sensible lads  ? ?
Add in boring aul farts while we're at it  >:(

I've no problem with roaring and shouting.
There were plenty of games where I left Croke Park without a voice.
However, I have never sang in my life at a football match (excluding the anthem).
It's not part of GAA culture and long may that continue.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: yellowcard on September 04, 2016, 12:16:53 PM
I do wonder what the feeling in Mayo is before this match. Do they fear the worst or do they genuinely believe that they have a chance of winning the title. I get the sense that the expectation simply isn't there that might have existed for previous finals. Most people expect them to get beaten anyway and though it would give me absolutely no pleasure, it would come as no surprise to me if they were on a very heavy defeat. This Dublin team are at the peak of their powers and I just can't see anyway possible that Mayo will beat them. 
Superb analysis. Thanks for sharing it.

cuconnacht

Quote from: moysider on September 03, 2016, 11:41:26 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 03, 2016, 10:47:53 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 03, 2016, 10:04:31 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 03, 2016, 08:14:26 PM
Going by the mayogaablog, there'll be mad singing, chanting, and the whole shebang all through the game...

What are they hoping to achieve with that?

No idea. They don't like the Mayo Mayo chant, and want to out sing the Dubs. Whatever makes people happy I suppose.

Load of shite. There wont be much singing tomorrow in the hurling. Fans from both counties will be concentrating on every puck an cheering or moaning as appropriate.
This isn t soccer where you can go 90 mins and sometimes not a lot happens, so fans sing and chant insults at each other to pass the time.
Mayo fans at AI final will be just trying to hold it together and many will be watching from between fingers or just traumatised and stuck to the seat.
Dubs will be different because they are already well sated with success and will be celebratory from the start, anticipating a parade.
Dubs will be like an audience at a musical/pantomime while Mayo fans will be like an audience at a horror film, waiting for the scary bits and wondering how they ever agreed to go to one of these shows - again. Singing my hole!
Absolute cracker Moy ,burst a gut last nite or today (not sure of the days) but so true.
Thon the Dead Rabbits !

Chimley

I'm bored so.....

Six men who stood shoulder to shoulder to bridge the sixty five years since Mayo won Sam

Willie Casey was 18 years old when he was sub on the Mayo team that won the All Ireland in 1951. He made his debut a couple of weeks later in the league against Kerry alongside Sean Flanagan as a replacement for Paddy Prendergast at full back.

John Morley made his debut for Mayo in 1961 and in his first outing against Sligo he took the field with Willie Casey who was still in his prime. Morley is rightfully seen as a legend of Mayo football. Both men served the county for thirteen seasons.

Richie Bell ran out against Fermanagh in the company of Morley in 1973 as the sun was beginning to set on Morleys career. Bell from Carramore would pick up an AI under 21 medal the following year and serve his county until the early 80s.

Dermot Flanagan whose father lifted Sam took the pitch with Bell in a Connacht final against Galway in 1983 as the latter was enjoying a swansong to his career. Flanagan would go on to represent Mayo with distinction for many years

Kenneth Mortimor and Dermot Flanagan were mainstays of the Mayo full back line that got to two All Ireland's in the 1990s. Mortimor appeared in finals for Mayo at all grades up to senior but he never got his Celtic cross.

Andy Moran stepped onto the pitch in February 2003 as a 20 year old beside Mortimor who was in his last year in a Mayo jersey. Andy is in line to start the final this year and is playing some of the best football of his career.

So there you have it. It is only 6 linked football generations since Sean Flanagan raised Sam Maguire. This will surely move to 7 if we're not successful this year.

Syferus

Only five of them are Mayo men, though.

There's no doubt in Dublin that they'll win this one. It's not even arrogance - it's well-founded confidence.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on September 04, 2016, 04:18:16 PM

There's no doubt in Dublin that they'll win this one. It's not even arrogance - it's well-founded confidence.

Do you hear anybody arguing with them?

INDIANA

If both sides play well Dublin will win.

If Dublin under-perform Mayo can definitely win this game.

they have the best record against us since 2011 then anyone else. And it will be a titanic battle.

Dublin's biggest advantage is the cycle of fear that Gavin has over the players. It's very similar to Cody. He doesn't forget guys who don't turn up on big days because of the pick of players at his disposal.

the other motivating factor is to match the 70's team of 76 and 77 with a two in a row.

bennydorano

Quote from: Jinxy on September 04, 2016, 12:18:22 PM
Quote from: blast05 on September 04, 2016, 08:59:16 AM
Yee're far too middle aged, middle class and sensible lads  ;)
Its a bloody All-Ireland final and the last time we played them in it in 2013, we were quite as lambs when the game was in the balance.... 16th man my arse. The time when we were needed most and we went missing. We were a collective embarrassment. Its nonsense to say we were just trying to breath. Thats complete bullsh*t.
Were we able to just breath in the 2nd half of the Kerry draw in '14. Of course - but we were also able to roar our heads off until we were hoarse.
The worst type of bloody supporter .... sitting back waiting for the team to do something before we getting involved

Why not roar and shout and sing all the way through .... more power to them. Why not collectively organise through the various social media channels to have a rendition of the chorus of the 'Green and Red of Mayo' commence immediately upon completion of the final bar of the National Anthem. And again at the 10th minute, the 20 minute and so on .... and promise to yourself that you will immediately stand to your feet and start roaring 'Mayo, Mayo....' the moment you hear someone else doing it. And if there is a lull/quiet period, then you don't wait for someone else - you get up and start the roaring yourself.

Yee're far too middle aged, middle class and sensible lads  ? ?
Add in boring aul farts while we're at it  >:(

I've no problem with roaring and shouting.
There were plenty of games where I left Croke Park without a voice.
However, I have never sang in my life at a football match (excluding the anthem).
It's not part of GAA culture and long may that continue.
Should get that Mayo 'firm' that was knocking about a few years ago on the go again, singing & fighting they were looking IIRC.

bucko

Quote from: INDIANA on September 04, 2016, 07:03:13 PM

If both sides play well Dublin will win.

If Dublin under-perform Mayo can definitely win this game

they have the best record against us since 2011 then anyone else. And it will be a titanic battle.

Dublin's biggest advantage is the cycle of fear that Gavin has over the players. It's very similar to Cody. He doesn't forget guys who don't turn up on big days because of the pick of players at his disposal.

the other motivating factor is to match the 70's team of 76 and 77 with a two in a row.
Probably as good a summary as any. We'll have to produce above and beyond anything we've done this year, at least 40-50 mins of the football we played in those 10 minute spells before half time in our matches so far. And still we'll need 4-5 Dublin players to have off days. And the bit of luck and the reffing decisions to go our way. Might be too much to expect for all those factors to fall into place. But hey it's an all Ireland final so who knows!

Fuzzman

I'd like to see Mayo going hammer and tongs right from the start and get an early lead to ask some questions from Dublin. Kerry could have been dead and buried had Dublin not kicked so many wides.
Dublin answered a lot of questions against Kerry, especially when 3 down going into the last 10 mins.
To have any chance I think Mayo have to score goals and not give Dublin easy possession from kickouts.

Jinxy

I hope it's a proper manly contest.
As Brian Talty once said, "Give belts, get belts, get up and get on with the f**kin' game."

From the Bunker

The hype officially kicked in today with the first flag put up on Main Street in Castlebar.

moysider

ONeill

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 04, 2016, 09:04:14 PM
I'd like to see Mayo going hammer and tongs right from the start and get an early lead to ask some questions from Dublin. Kerry could have been dead and buried had Dublin not kicked so many wides.
Dublin answered a lot of questions against Kerry, especially when 3 down going into the last 10 mins.
To have any chance I think Mayo have to score goals and not give Dublin easy possession from kickouts.

There's no way Mayo can beat Dublin by playing football. It has to be pure dirt.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jinxy

Quote from: moysider on September 04, 2016, 10:52:39 PM

Wow, display of sickening arrogance in Castlebar.

Such hubris.
So much for the low-key build-up.