All-Ireland Final, September 18th, 2016 - Dublin v Mayo

Started by IolarCoisCuain, August 28, 2016, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: ZeitChrist on August 30, 2016, 09:14:12 PM
Mayo should focus on the last 20 minutes of the game. This is when Dublin will look to empty their bench and hit hard once they feel the opposition have worn themselves out trying to get ahead. They've burned Kerry doing this as Kerry do not have the legs to keep pace with Dublin for 70 minutes and are eventually run ragged after working hard to get their noses in front for most of the match. Fitness should not be an issue for Mayo as they are the only team who are really capable of holding their own against Dublin in this department. They should be looking to finish the game stronger than they started it and with their best 15 on the pitch. It may mean not starting some key personalities, but those guys are the ones you want to have full of running in the home straight if the game is there to be won.

If the last twenty minutes of the final goes like the last twenty minutes of last year's semi-final replay I'll be happy.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Jinxy

Quote from: Rossfan on August 31, 2016, 03:29:09 PM
Conor Lane to ref the final.
I believe he's much loved in Rhubarbia.

I've a photo of him visiting Dublin Zoo a few years back.
Wait till Martin Breheny hears this.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

bucko

Quote from: Jinxy on August 31, 2016, 08:07:22 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 31, 2016, 03:29:09 PM
Conor Lane to ref the final.
I believe he's much loved in Rhubarbia.

I've a photo of him visiting Dublin Zoo a few years back.
Wait till Martin Breheny hears this.
It'll be a flowing game with Lane in the middle. Decapatations or limb amputations will be the only offences blown for.😫

Gaaggle

Mayo should focus on the last 20 minutes of the game. This is when Dublin will look to empty their bench and hit hard once they feel the opposition have worn themselves out trying to get ahead. They've burned Kerry doing this as Kerry do not have the legs to keep pace with Dublin for 70 minutes and are eventually run ragged after working hard to get their noses in front for most of the match. Fitness should not be an issue for Mayo as they are the only team who are really capable of holding their own against Dublin in this department. They should be looking to finish the game stronger than they started it and with their best 15 on the pitch. It may mean not starting some key personalities, but those guys are the ones you want to have full of running in the home straight if the game is there to be won.

They did the same to Mayo in the replay last year, does that not also suggest that Mayo don't have the legs to keep the pace with Dublin for 70 mins?

highorlow

QuoteThey did the same to Mayo in the replay last year, does that not also suggest that Mayo don't have the legs to keep the pace with Dublin for 70 mins?

Would this years league game be a closer guide?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Gaaggle on September 01, 2016, 08:43:00 AM

They did the same to Mayo in the replay last year, does that not also suggest that Mayo don't have the legs to keep the pace with Dublin for 70 mins?

Sure all the Mayo lads had to go back to work in the trenches for the week whilst the well off Dublin folk had a week of pampering.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 01, 2016, 09:30:38 AM
Quote from: Gaaggle on September 01, 2016, 08:43:00 AM

Sure all the Mayo lads had to go back to work in the trenches for the week whilst the well off Dublin folk had a week of pampering.

Ah ya. McAlpine and John Murphys van will be waiting for them outside the caff in Kentish Town on Monday around 7
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 31, 2016, 07:50:53 PM

If the last twenty minutes of the final goes like the last twenty minutes of last year's semi-final replay I'll be happy.

I was thinking the same about the original fixture! Burned us off well that day?

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 01, 2016, 08:18:15 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 31, 2016, 07:50:53 PM

I was thinking the same about the original fixture! Burned us off well that day?

Touché
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Il Bomber Destro

Lane gave the most downright awful display of cheating from a match official that I have ever seen in last year's Galway-Derry game.

It was a disgrace and he should never have took charge of an intercounty game game after it. He was absolutely shocking in the Monaghan-Down game this year as well. He seems to pick sides very early on in games and allows one team to get away with everything and making punitive decisions against the other side for doing very little.

I would expect the referee is inevitably going to be a talking point after this game because this guy is disgraceful. When guys like him and Marty Duffy are awarded the biggest gig in the game for a referee after all the warning signs they had emitted beforehand then you really have to wonder what sort of money exchanges hands here. Duffy seems to be more just incompetent but Lane is a bad one.

Jinxy

Better to have a bad ref than a biased ref that does his clothes shopping in Arnotts.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

heffo

Quote from: REDCOL on September 03, 2016, 07:54:19 AM
All Ireland Football Final Tickets & Signed Mayo Jersey up for grabs. Please follow the link http://garrymoregaa.com/all-ireland-tickets/
l

Second prize is two signed Mayo Jersies

Bod Mor

How to unlock the Dublin defence. Well, how to make Aidan O'Shea effective at full forward.
Mayo's biggest mistake with the long balls into O'Shea during the two semis last year was that he was surrounded by three Dublin defenders. Why was that you might ask? It can't be that hard to figure out. Dublin were playing a sweeper and he was instructed to be in front of O'Shea at all times. So where did the third defender come out of?
Easy. The third defender was the man marking Cillian O'Connor. Whenever the ball was played in, that defender sprinted straight away over to stand beside O'Shea. What Mayo got wrong is that Cillian O'Connor and O'Shea should do what happened in the first half of the semi final replay last year in the passage of Play leading up to Aidan O'Shea's point in the first half. Drag their markers out and that leaves the sweeper to mark the space in between them. In this phase of Play I have mentioned, a long ball is played in to O'Shea who has made a run out towards the Hogan stand sideline and O'Coonor headed out in the opoosite direction towards the Cusack and brought his man with him. McMahon got his hands to the ball but it was the only time they were one on one to a high ball in the two games.
O'Shea won it and scored a point.
Now, hopefully Rochford and co. have picked up on this. What is missing from this is somebody bursting through for O'Shea to pass to and you would then have 2 on 2 or maybe a 2 on 1 and a goalscoring chance.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

heffo

Quote from: Bod Mor on September 03, 2016, 01:45:07 PM
How to unlock the Dublin defence. Well, how to make Aidan O'Shea effective at full forward.
Mayo's biggest mistake with the long balls into O'Shea during the two semis last year was that he was surrounded by three Dublin defenders. Why was that you might ask? It can't be that hard to figure out. Dublin were playing a sweeper and he was instructed to be in front of O'Shea at all times. So where did the third defender come out of?
Easy. The third defender was the man marking Cillian O'Connor. Whenever the ball was played in, that defender sprinted straight away over to stand beside O'Shea. What Mayo got wrong is that Cillian O'Connor and O'Shea should do what happened in the first half of the semi final replay last year in the passage of Play leading up to Aidan O'Shea's point in the first half. Drag their markers out and that leaves the sweeper to mark the space in between them. In this phase of Play I have mentioned, a long ball is played in to O'Shea who has made a run out towards the Hogan stand sideline and O'Coonor headed out in the opoosite direction towards the Cusack and brought his man with him. McMahon got his hands to the ball but it was the only time they were one on one to a high ball in the two games.
O'Shea won it and scored a point.
Now, hopefully Rochford and co. have picked up on this. What is missing from this is somebody bursting through for O'Shea to pass to and you would then have 2 on 2 or maybe a 2 on 1 and a goalscoring chance.

Just keep Big Aido away from Brian Fenton - he scored the goal last year with Aido huffing and puffing about 20 yards back after they both ran from midfield