All-Ireland Final, September 18th, 2016 - Dublin v Mayo

Started by IolarCoisCuain, August 28, 2016, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Gael85 on August 30, 2016, 03:36:30 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 30, 2016, 01:01:28 PM
Is Flynn carrying an injury?

Flynn playing through pain barrier the last couple years. Should sit out the league next year as badly needs a break. I though he was out sunday. My source got that and McCarthy one wrong. McCarthy looked very rusty but came into game in last 15 minutes

I barely remembered Flynn on the ball at all as for you say McCarthy looked like a player who was back from injury. That game will have done wonders for him going forward to the final. Given the strength Dublin have in the forwards they can always rely on a couple of them to have great games.

muppet

Quote from: whitey on August 30, 2016, 03:54:51 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 30, 2016, 03:31:32 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 30, 2016, 03:28:53 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 30, 2016, 03:19:54 PM
Leitrim won't be able to match that anyway!

Sure Leitrim and Donegal are right beside each other.

The only person I ever heard of flying to Leitrim was:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/harney-wings-clipped-26062024.html

I'd say they had a bear of a time trying to redistribute the weight on that flight

in fairness she had a moral flexibility that meant her conscience's centre of gravity covered a large area.  :D
MWWSI 2017

JoG2

Flynn playing through pain barrier the last couple years. Should sit out the league next year as badly needs a break. I though he was out sunday. My source got that and McCarthy one wrong. McCarthy looked very rusty but came into game in last 15 minutes

I've read this on here numerous times. Is this fact or speculation?  Why, with their strength and depth would they be playing any man who is injured, and has been carrying an injury for 2 years? Surely with the Dubs attention to detail, Flynn would have been sorted and rehabbed back @ this stage?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 30, 2016, 03:47:34 PM
And Quinlivan v Tipp. I don't think he's comfortable in there.

I can remember Keegan following Comer into the full forward line and didn't cope too well with the only ball that came in, he had to pull Comer down when bearing down on goal.

yellowcard

Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 30, 2016, 04:00:02 PM

I barely remembered Flynn on the ball at all as for you say McCarthy looked like a player who was back from injury. That game will have done wonders for him going forward to the final. Given the strength Dublin have in the forwards they can always rely on a couple of them to have great games.

Flynn stated at the end of last years AI series that he had carried an injury through the 2015 season. In that instance I don't understand why he would not have got it sorted out in the 2015 off season. Or maybe he did and has picked up a fresh injury this year but is playing through the pain barrier. He is definitely not the Paul Flynn of old. 

Gael85

Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 30, 2016, 04:00:02 PM

Ya Flynn barely touched the ball. Since Donegal 2014 he is playing a much deeper role as a auxiliary midfielder but he hasn't reached his high standards in last 12 months

Gael85

Quote from: JoG2 on August 30, 2016, 04:04:25 PM

I've read this on here numerous times. Is this fact or speculation?  Why, with their strength and depth would they be playing any man who is injured, and has been carrying an injury for 2 years? Surely with the Dubs attention to detail, Flynn would have been sorted and rehabbed back @ this stage?

I think he got operated last year but doesn't seem to have cured problem. Dublin strength and depth is a myth when it comes to wing forwards.  Tomas Brady and Shane Carthy(St Vincents) are only half forwards on bench and have been used scarcely by Jim Gavin. Hopefully Shane Carthy(Naomh Mearnog), Gavin Burke or Niall Scully make the step up in next couple of years.

Hound

To me it seems he's playing like someone who's afraid he'll get injured if he pushes too hard.
And for a man who got a lot of his star quality and four All Stars for pushing so hard, it has basically taken his whole game away.

Last year, his best game was the All Ireland final (by a distance) when he probably didnt need to worry too much about a recurrance. 

JoG2

Quote from: Hound on August 30, 2016, 04:26:54 PM

To me it seems he's playing like someone who's afraid he'll get injured if he pushes too hard.
And for a man who got a lot of his star quality and four All Stars for pushing so hard, it has basically taken his whole game away.

Last year, his best game was the All Ireland final (by a distance) when he probably didnt need to worry too much about a recurrance.

I'd say if he has started every game up to now, he'll definitely start the final. Such a brilliant footballer when on song

ZeitChrist

Mayo should focus on the last 20 minutes of the game. This is when Dublin will look to empty their bench and hit hard once they feel the opposition have worn themselves out trying to get ahead. They've burned Kerry doing this as Kerry do not have the legs to keep pace with Dublin for 70 minutes and are eventually run ragged after working hard to get their noses in front for most of the match. Fitness should not be an issue for Mayo as they are the only team who are really capable of holding their own against Dublin in this department. They should be looking to finish the game stronger than they started it and with their best 15 on the pitch. It may mean not starting some key personalities, but those guys are the ones you want to have full of running in the home straight if the game is there to be won.

iorras

Quote from: ZeitChrist on August 30, 2016, 09:14:12 PM
Mayo should focus on the last 20 minutes of the game. This is when Dublin will look to empty their bench and hit hard once they feel the opposition have worn themselves out trying to get ahead. They've burned Kerry doing this as Kerry do not have the legs to keep pace with Dublin for 70 minutes and are eventually run ragged after working hard to get their noses in front for most of the match. Fitness should not be an issue for Mayo as they are the only team who are really capable of holding their own against Dublin in this department. They should be looking to finish the game stronger than they started it and with their best 15 on the pitch. It may mean not starting some key personalities, but those guys are the ones you want to have full of running in the home straight if the game is there to be won.
Kerry didn't keep pace with Dublin until the last 10, in truth Dublin were miles better for the majority of the game, for 55 minutes I would say. The first 25 minutes of the first half were almost boring such was Dublins supremacy. It seemed to affect them as well as they missed some easy chances and took some wrong options. Then we had the mad 10 minutes with the two goals where Kerry got on top. another brief stint in the second half and besides that it was all Dublin.
I think Kerry tried what you are suggesting by bringing in James O'Donoghue and Bryan Sheehan late on but it didn't work.

highorlow

Quotein truth Dublin were miles better for the majority of the game,

a small bit of exaggeration
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Kurtz

The goals came from Dublin backs not paying attention not a Clucko meltdown

Rossfan

Conor Lane to ref the final.
I believe he's much loved in Rhubarbia.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ZeitChrist

Quote from: iorras on August 31, 2016, 09:45:05 AM
Quote from: ZeitChrist on August 30, 2016, 09:14:12 PM
Kerry didn't keep pace with Dublin until the last 10, in truth Dublin were miles better for the majority of the game, for 55 minutes I would say. The first 25 minutes of the first half were almost boring such was Dublins supremacy. It seemed to affect them as well as they missed some easy chances and took some wrong options. Then we had the mad 10 minutes with the two goals where Kerry got on top. another brief stint in the second half and besides that it was all Dublin.
I think Kerry tried what you are suggesting by bringing in James O'Donoghue and Bryan Sheehan late on but it didn't work.

Kerry were overly cautious for the first 20 minutes or so which contributed to their lack of scores early on. They only came to life after the goal, which seemed to give them confidence. The subs didn't work so well because James O'Donoghue simply hasn't played enough football this year to be properly sharp and Bryan Sheehan might be able to kick a ball, but he was hardly ever going to bring the pace and fitness levels required to go toe to toe with Dublin in the last 15/20 minutes. Kerry have shown a couple of times now that they tend to run out of steam against Dublin and Dublin know they don't have the legs for a full 70. My point merely was that Mayo have a very well-conditioned squad and they should be wise about how they utilise their physicality. They need to be good to go for the last 20.