All-Ireland Final, September 18th, 2016 - Dublin v Mayo

Started by IolarCoisCuain, August 28, 2016, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: blast05 on August 30, 2016, 11:36:16 AM
QuoteGiven how well Paddy Andrews played against Mayo in both games last year (when both Connolly and Brogan were largely bottled up

Is it a recurring theme with Brogan in last couple of years in that it seems in the big games after Leinster he is largely bottled up.... or at least bottled up more often than not.
He hasn't scored more than twice in a game in his last 5 post-Leinster games in Croke Park.... Fermanagh QF last year being the last time he contributed more than that. Is he in decline ? It feels like he needs a really big performance in the final (a la 3 years ago  :'( )to ensure his name can ultimately be considered as one of the greats.

Brogan could be under pressure to hold his place for the final. He has been relatively quiet in the last few games and whilst he is still a top class forward on his day, I think he is not as good as he once was. Flynn is another player who has plateaued out over the last 2 seasons and may also be under pressure to keep his place. Ultimately they will probably both start but its more based on the reputations they have built over a longer period than their actual form this season.

Canalman

Bar the couple of wides I thought BB was very good on Sunday. Double marked and never stopped running and trying to create space. The balls that went in to him by and large stuck and struck a couple of crucial points.

He will not be dropped.

Hound

Quote from: Canalman on August 30, 2016, 12:15:48 PM
Bar the couple of wides I thought BB was very good on Sunday. Double marked and never stopped running and trying to create space. The balls that went in to him by and large stuck and struck a couple of crucial points.

He will not be dropped.
I agree. I'm happy with Bernard. Working very hard for the team. Still contributing a lot.

Maroon Manc

seafoid

"A man with a Mayo accent is a stag at bay
Upon a bog with rabbits round its hooves."
– Paul Durcan, The Mayo Accent

seafoid

It will probably come down to one or two incidents

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/james-horan-on-his-time-at-the-helm-of-mayo-1.2010683
So with Mayo: I think the team has a clear vision of what is needed to work in a high-performance environment. But I am not sure that everything else around it has. That is as nice a way as I can possibly put it. And it is critical. The team needs to relentlessly improve and always will do. Every team does. But when you are up in the top four in the country and we are talking about the width of a post or the bounce of a ball being the difference, the tiny, tiny little things that are around the team can be something that can make that difference. So that awareness and understanding is needed.

AZOffaly

I see Ciaran Kilkenny will be flying up and down from Donegal for training :) Nice :)

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Quote from: Rossfan on August 30, 2016, 03:19:54 PM
Leitrim won't be able to match that anyway!

Sure Leitrim and Donegal are right beside each other.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

I could see the Dubs throwing Connolly into the FF line at the start to see if Keegan follows him in.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Gael85

Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 30, 2016, 01:01:28 PM
Is Flynn carrying an injury?

Flynn playing through pain barrier the last couple years. Should sit out the league next year as badly needs a break. I though he was out sunday. My source got that and McCarthy one wrong. McCarthy looked very rusty but came into game in last 15 minutes

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Jinxy on August 30, 2016, 03:30:16 PM
I could see the Dubs throwing Connolly into the FF line at the start to see if Keegan follows him in.

He actually followed Shane Walsh into the FF line when they played Galway. Probably didn't help Mayo in the end.

AZOffaly

And Quinlivan v Tipp. I don't think he's comfortable in there.

whitey

Quote from: muppet on August 30, 2016, 03:31:32 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 30, 2016, 03:28:53 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 30, 2016, 03:19:54 PM
Leitrim won't be able to match that anyway!

Sure Leitrim and Donegal are right beside each other.

The only person I ever heard of flying to Leitrim was:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/harney-wings-clipped-26062024.html

I'd say they had a bear of a time trying to redistribute the weight on that flight