Tipp v Mayo AI semi final (still doesnt sound right!!)

Started by tippabu, August 07, 2016, 10:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on August 23, 2016, 09:29:30 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 22, 2016, 11:22:47 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 22, 2016, 10:06:29 PM
What about the 95% of club players who probably haven't kicked a ball in anger since late June?

There's the usual hand-wringing about the club players.

A friend of mine is training one of the clubs involved next weekend. 4 players will be missing because they are going to a concert. This is a senior club.
I remember from my own experiences fellas telling ye that they wouldn t be about for a club championship match because they were going away for a stag weekend.
You just had to suck it up. Other crazy stuff happens too.
I'd take the club bleating with a pinch of salt.
Postpone these matches. Give the county team the best advantage they can get. I realise we will probably lose no matter how well we prepare for the final but that is neither here nor there. We are in an AI final and we need to throw the kitchen sink at it and see what happens. God knows when we will get back there again.
Ballintubber play Aughamore in a must win game for 'tubber. A lot of potential grief in that fixture alone.

Wouldn't be tolerated at the club I played for and lord knows we were no world beaters.
What would have been done?
Told not to go? Throw them off the panel when they went anyway?

Jinxy

To be honest, they wouldn't have done it in the first place moreso out of the fear of having to face their teammates.
In a proper club, discipline isn't maintained by the management, it's maintained by the senior players.
They set the tone and enforce the standard that is expected of everyone.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

iorras

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 23, 2016, 10:22:05 AM
I think that was a black card. He dragged him (deliberately) back when he was running through, and he brought him to the ground. If the ref thought it was deliberate, then it's a clear black card.

The only mitigant would be if he thought it was accidental, and that is subject to the refs discretion.

It annoys me reading people saying Lee Keegan should have had a black card. For what? He didn't , that I could see, commit a black card offence. People say he deserved one for 'constant fouling' of Quinlivan, or for pulling his jersey. I despair.
I agree, there seems to be this running narrative of people who don't know what they are talking about wanting lee Keegan to get sanctioned or sent off. that's what annoyed me most about the Sean Cavanagh/Mickey Harte pity party after the quarter final re the targeting bullshit, they some of it would stick. And they knew that so I don't understand why they would do it.  Something in the locker for down the road maybe but at that stage, and even still, it could only have an advantage for Kerry or Dublin. So why do it?
When you listen to ex IC players talk about him, they are full of admiration for what he does. I'm sure hes a complete dose to be marked by, he does pull and drag off the ball at times, and sure maybe God help us, he might even trash talk, but there is zero evidence he has done anything bar be a damn good defender, and is not too bad going forward.
This year he has played 6 games, his man has scored 1 point from play. He has scored 6 himself!
Against Sean Cavanagh he had 33 possessions, Cavanagh had 9 before he was sent off with 10 minutes to go.
I really don't understand where the negativity is coming from, so far albeit with one game to go, it has to be one of the best defensive displays from a player in modern times. Look what he did to Diarmuid Connolly over two games last year. I don't get it.

AZOffaly

I would, as I said before, but an asterix beside Keegan holding Quinlivan scoreless from play. I thought Quinlivan and Sweeney won most ball that came into them, and it was more that the Mayo defensive setup took away a lot of the direct ball Tipp like to play. Whenever a pass went in I thought the two lads were out in front and won a lot of ball. Keegan himself must have given away 2 or 3 frees that were pointed, so I'm not sure I would rate the scoreless from play stat that highly.

I used live with a lad in college who played corner back. Every Sunday he'd come back and say 'I kept my man scoreless from play again', and ever Sunday another lad from the same town would answer, 'Yeah, but he scored X frees, and you gave away 4 of them!'.

Ballaghman

Quote from: Jinxy on August 23, 2016, 12:43:37 PM
To be honest, they wouldn't have done it in the first place moreso out of the fear of having to face their teammates.
In a proper club, discipline isn't maintained by the management, it's maintained by the senior players.
They set the tone and enforce the standard that is expected of everyone.
Have to agree with Jinxy. At a club with genuine ambition the players wouldn't even dream of missing championship for a concert or stag. Management wouldn't need to ask them not to go.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: blast05 on August 22, 2016, 09:10:05 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 22, 2016, 07:48:11 PM
Mayo managed to score 1-7 in 10 minute period yesterday which won them the game yesterday but the reality is its highly unlikely they'll have a spell like that again Dublin/Kerry as there's no way they'll loose so many of their own kickouts in a spell like that.

Quoting from http://www.the42.ie/mayo-tipperary-2-2941856-Aug2016/ about Tipperarys first half kickouts before and after the goal ...... "they went 7/9 pre goal and 5/8 until half time. It's less but hardly dramatically so"

The only real motivation Mayo had yesterday was fear of losing - same as Dublin in most games this year ... and neither team have set the world on fire.
And from a Mayo point of view, that is fine. A team can only go to the well so often in its life-cycle and so what would be the point in completely giving every fibre of your being in a game where, despite Tipps impressive 2nd half, there was never a real fear or doubt that Mayo would do enough imo.
I remember Niall Quinn saying that from his experience the difference between top level soccer and championship in GAA was that in soccer the vast majority only ever gave 90% because giving 100% week in week out would be impossible..... GAA championship on the other hand being 100%.
For Mayos its been all but week in week out  ... 5 championship games in 7 weeks .... impossible to give 100% in all those .... and not the right thing to do if you want to be able ti give 'every fibre of your being' in September.

So, job done, rest up, get the bodies and tactics right and prepare to really and truly empty the tank on the 18th. The pity of course is that there is club championship in Mayo this weekend.

Thats fair enough with the kickouts, I was at the game and it just appeared Tipp really struggled during that period to win a kickout. I certainly recall then having much possession in the Mayo during that time, I just couldn't see Mayo having a period of domination like that against Kerry or Dublin. If Tipp had scored a goal during 10-15 minutes to go then you'd never know how Mayo would have reacted as they certainly struggled to react against Galway. Thankfully that didn't happen and without the goal Tipp were never going to win.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 23, 2016, 01:25:06 PM
I would, as I said before, but an asterix beside Keegan holding Quinlivan scoreless from play. I thought Quinlivan and Sweeney won most ball that came into them, and it was more that the Mayo defensive setup took away a lot of the direct ball Tipp like to play. Whenever a pass went in I thought the two lads were out in front and won a lot of ball. Keegan himself must have given away 2 or 3 frees that were pointed, so I'm not sure I would rate the scoreless from play stat that highly.

I used live with a lad in college who played corner back. Every Sunday he'd come back and say 'I kept my man scoreless from play again', and ever Sunday another lad from the same town would answer, 'Yeah, but he scored X frees, and you gave away 4 of them!'.
Quinlivan definitely outplayed Keegan in the first half. I thought Keegan got the upper hand in the second.

Wouldn't be so sure of Tipp being certain to get an All Star in the forwards. Especially if this Sunday is a shoot-out. Albeit if its wet and relatively low scoring like last year's AI final, then that would help their cause.

Some Mayo lads put a lot of emphasis on Keegan keeping Connolly quiet when they play the Dubs. But that's pretty much all Keegan does in those games, because its no easy job of course. Likewise Connolly does little bar keep Keegan occupied. Wouldnt be so sure that Mayo are getting the best of that bargain

imtommygunn

In the first half of the first half I would say. keegan started attacking during mayo's dominant period and was a big factor.

highorlow

Anyone listen to Liam Kearins on off the ball last night? Thought he sounded a bit immature for an experienced manager and didn't have much praise for us at the weekend. I suppose that's the way they are down in Tralee.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

iorras

Quote from: highorlow on August 24, 2016, 10:22:30 AM
Anyone listen to Liam Kearins on off the ball last night? Thought he sounded a bit immature for an experienced manager and didn't have much praise for us at the weekend. I suppose that's the way they are down in Tralee.
It came up on my podcast feed but I didn't bother listening to it as I reckoned it would only be annoying, and it sounds like I was right. The narrative of Tipp lost it and aren't they great lads, is starting to get abit annoying now, as is the "we were robbed by the ref" craic. When Tipp win a Munster championship they can perhaps be called great lads but it wouldn't surprise me for this Tipp team to do nothing after similar to Wexford in 2008 and Fermanagh in 2004. They'll take the odd scalp along the way but Liameen wouldn't want to be getting too carried away with himself.
Anyways, back to looking for tickets to the final....

In other news, Wolly's podcast is quiet good surprisingly. I say surprisingly because on Off The Ball he came across to me like he was just trying to be controversial all the time. Hes much more measured on this and makes a lot of sense. in fairness to him he must have some respect from the players as he manages to get them all on there, Aidan O'Shea, Michael Murphy, Andy Moran and Eamonn MCgee over recent weeks. Asks them uncomfortable questions as well without being a complete p***k about it.
His sidekick Conal something or other who I think joe.ie have foisted upon him can be a bit annoying but he doesn't say a massive amount. Speaking of lads who don't say a massive amount Paul Galvin has been on their a couple of times, in this weeks one he says the Gooch is going to make a massive impact on Sunday. Get yer money on him now for top Kerry scorer or something like that

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Revolutionary new tactic? Playing 2 keepers  :o or is it 3 with the regular no1 and Sheehan plus Cooper?
If it works we'll have every Junior B crowd at it next year.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: iorras on August 24, 2016, 10:52:24 AM
Quote from: highorlow on August 24, 2016, 10:22:30 AM
It came up on my podcast feed but I didn't bother listening to it as I reckoned it would only be annoying, and it sounds like I was right. The narrative of Tipp lost it and aren't they great lads, is starting to get abit annoying now, as is the "we were robbed by the ref" craic. When Tipp win a Munster championship they can perhaps be called great lads but it wouldn't surprise me for this Tipp team to do nothing after similar to Wexford in 2008 and Fermanagh in 2004. They'll take the odd scalp along the way but Liameen wouldn't want to be getting too carried away with himself.
Anyways, back to looking for tickets to the final....

In other news, Wolly's podcast is quiet good surprisingly. I say surprisingly because on Off The Ball he came across to me like he was just trying to be controversial all the time. Hes much more measured on this and makes a lot of sense. in fairness to him he must have some respect from the players as he manages to get them all on there, Aidan O'Shea, Michael Murphy, Andy Moran and Eamonn MCgee over recent weeks. Asks them uncomfortable questions as well without being a complete p***k about it.
His sidekick Conal something or other who I think joe.ie have foisted upon him can be a bit annoying but he doesn't say a massive amount. Speaking of lads who don't say a massive amount Paul Galvin has been on their a couple of times, in this weeks one he says the Gooch is going to make a massive impact on Sunday. Get yer money on him now for top Kerry scorer or something like that

Sickening arrogance.

Ah no, seriously, Liam Kearns does say stuff that you'd rather he didn't, but he has gotten a lot out of this group of players. As to whether Tipp kick on or not, we'll see. Where they are probably in a better place than the teams you mention is a) They have lads who were unavailable this year coming back in, which will add to the competition, and b) They have young lads coming through which will hopefully continue.

But it's no good to Tipp unless they kick on, and I think everybody involved in football in Tipp understands that, and is excited by the challenge.

StephenC

Thought Keans was fine on OTB last night. Didn't disrespect anyone and simply came across as disappointed. People hearing what they want to hear I think.