Tipp v Mayo AI semi final (still doesnt sound right!!)

Started by tippabu, August 07, 2016, 10:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Will it be the softest All Ireland Mayo ever lost?

whatifs

Quote from: Chimley on August 22, 2016, 12:30:14 PM
I have been thinking about the way Mayo looked very flat yesterday and didn't hear the pundits mention the tough run of fixtures that Mayo have been involved in recently. Mayo have played a game in Croke park for three out of the past four weekends and that has to take a toll. It has been a very hard few weeks and now they can prepare with a bit of breathing space for the final.
had to have a laugh at this,these lads and other county teams preparing from before xmas!!!! games bring a team on and am sure they would rather be playing games than training with 2-3 week breaks as per norm in county gaa,talk of playing 3 games in 4 weeks taking its toll is far fetched as all county men nearly semi pro!!!

Maroon Manc

A lot of credit goes to Mayo for managing to reach an AI final without showing any sign of real form. This bunch have real character to keep coming back year after year and the experience they've accumulated along the way has probably got them this far.

Mayo managed to score 1-7 in 10 minute period yesterday which won them the game yesterday but the reality is its highly unlikely they'll have a spell like that again Dublin/Kerry as there's no way they'll loose so many of their own kickouts in a spell like that.

Their a long way of the 2013/14 team but really hope I'm wrong.

blast05

Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 22, 2016, 07:48:11 PM
Mayo managed to score 1-7 in 10 minute period yesterday which won them the game yesterday but the reality is its highly unlikely they'll have a spell like that again Dublin/Kerry as there's no way they'll loose so many of their own kickouts in a spell like that.

Quoting from http://www.the42.ie/mayo-tipperary-2-2941856-Aug2016/ about Tipperarys first half kickouts before and after the goal ...... "they went 7/9 pre goal and 5/8 until half time. It's less but hardly dramatically so"

The only real motivation Mayo had yesterday was fear of losing - same as Dublin in most games this year ... and neither team have set the world on fire.
And from a Mayo point of view, that is fine. A team can only go to the well so often in its life-cycle and so what would be the point in completely giving every fibre of your being in a game where, despite Tipps impressive 2nd half, there was never a real fear or doubt that Mayo would do enough imo.
I remember Niall Quinn saying that from his experience the difference between top level soccer and championship in GAA was that in soccer the vast majority only ever gave 90% because giving 100% week in week out would be impossible..... GAA championship on the other hand being 100%.
For Mayos its been all but week in week out  ... 5 championship games in 7 weeks .... impossible to give 100% in all those .... and not the right thing to do if you want to be able ti give 'every fibre of your being' in September.

So, job done, rest up, get the bodies and tactics right and prepare to really and truly empty the tank on the 18th. The pity of course is that there is club championship in Mayo this weekend.

twohands!!!

On Moran's performance yesterday I thought the Tipp defender marking him had a terrible performance in the first half - they stood way too far off him and gave him far too much space  - Moran took advantage of it as a good intercounty forward should but there's no way any Dublin or Kerry back will be as poor and give him as much time and space. Once Tipp switched markers in the 2nd half of the game Moran went almost totally out of the game.

moysider

Quote from: blast05 on August 22, 2016, 09:10:05 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 22, 2016, 07:48:11 PM

Quoting from http://www.the42.ie/mayo-tipperary-2-2941856-Aug2016/ about Tipperarys first half kickouts before and after the goal ...... "they went 7/9 pre goal and 5/8 until half time. It's less but hardly dramatically so"

The only real motivation Mayo had yesterday was fear of losing - same as Dublin in most games this year ... and neither team have set the world on fire.
And from a Mayo point of view, that is fine. A team can only go to the well so often in its life-cycle and so what would be the point in completely giving every fibre of your being in a game where, despite Tipps impressive 2nd half, there was never a real fear or doubt that Mayo would do enough imo.
I remember Niall Quinn saying that from his experience the difference between top level soccer and championship in GAA was that in soccer the vast majority only ever gave 90% because giving 100% week in week out would be impossible..... GAA championship on the other hand being 100%.
For Mayos its been all but week in week out  ... 5 championship games in 7 weeks .... impossible to give 100% in all those .... and not the right thing to do if you want to be able ti give 'every fibre of your being' in September.

So, job done, rest up, get the bodies and tactics right and prepare to really and truly empty the tank on the 18th. The pity of course is that there is club championship in Mayo this weekend.

David Brady called the decision to play club championship matches at the weekend 'Kamikaze'.

With the winners of next week having to go through a war to win it will take them a week to recover was his point. It gives Mayo a two week advantage in prep. for final. If it wasn t for these club games.

Rossfan

What about the 95% of club players who probably haven't kicked a ball in anger since late June?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on August 22, 2016, 10:06:29 PM
What about the 95% of club players who probably haven't kicked a ball in anger since late June?
There have been league games. Would you want the same to happen in Roscommon?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 22, 2016, 10:49:06 PM

K-Mac's new format for the senior championships runs throughout the summer in most long breaks in the IC championship calendar. So it already happens here. Been pretty successful at creating a competitive club championship at senior, something we haven't really had in a decade or more.

D Brady is like Cake's more earnest little brother.

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 22, 2016, 10:49:06 PM

Yes.

But sadly the situation may never arise :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

There's the usual hand-wringing about the club players.

A friend of mine is training one of the clubs involved next weekend. 4 players will be missing because they are going to a concert. This is a senior club.
I remember from my own experiences fellas telling ye that they wouldn t be about for a club championship match because they were going away for a stag weekend. You just had to suck it up. Other crazy stuff happens too.
I'd take the club bleating with a pinch of salt.
Postpone these matches. Give the county team the best advantage they can get. I realise we will probably lose no matter how well we prepare for the final but that is neither here nor there. We are in an AI final and we need to throw the kitchen sink at it and see what happens. God knows when we will get back there again.
Ballintubber play Aughamore in a must win game for 'tubber. A lot of potential grief in that fixture alone.

Jinxy

Quote from: moysider on August 22, 2016, 11:22:47 PM

There's the usual hand-wringing about the club players.

A friend of mine is training one of the clubs involved next weekend. 4 players will be missing because they are going to a concert. This is a senior club.
I remember from my own experiences fellas telling ye that they wouldn t be about for a club championship match because they were going away for a stag weekend.
You just had to suck it up. Other crazy stuff happens too.
I'd take the club bleating with a pinch of salt.
Postpone these matches. Give the county team the best advantage they can get. I realise we will probably lose no matter how well we prepare for the final but that is neither here nor there. We are in an AI final and we need to throw the kitchen sink at it and see what happens. God knows when we will get back there again.
Ballintubber play Aughamore in a must win game for 'tubber. A lot of potential grief in that fixture alone.

Wouldn't be tolerated at the club I played for and lord knows we were no world beaters.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

As I was saying, a black card my arse -- referee Coldrick badly needs a refresher, as if he didn't wreak enough havoc in the Ulster Final :P ;)

"For me, the black card call was totally wrong. I felt he had his hand on Jason Doherty's back, an awkward tackle, at worst a pull on his jersey – which isn't a black card offence. As he fell, he and Doherty got tangled up – again, not a black card offence. I didn't see a deliberate drag down and I didn't see a deliberate trip. It was never a black card.
The black card, if you back to its origins, was brought in to prevent a player wrapping his arms around an opponent and dragging him to the ground. You know a cynical foul when you see it. A cynical foul is not a player having his hand on another fella's back as he's falling.

Jim Mc Guinness in today's IT
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

AZOffaly

I think that was a black card. He dragged him (deliberately) back when he was running through, and he brought him to the ground. If the ref thought it was deliberate, then it's a clear black card.

The only mitigant would be if he thought it was accidental, and that is subject to the refs discretion.

It annoys me reading people saying Lee Keegan should have had a black card. For what? He didn't , that I could see, commit a black card offence. People say he deserved one for 'constant fouling' of Quinlivan, or for pulling his jersey. I despair.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.