Mannion is some player.
Where's Costello gone?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

straightred

Quote from: Jinxy on August 07, 2016, 08:24:41 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 07, 2016, 05:33:45 PM
Dubs to appeal O'Gara red card

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=259158

The suits will make sure he is available for the Kerry game.

Nah.
They'll make an example of him because he's only a peripheral player.
If it was Dermo or Philly, that would be a different kettle of fish.

having just seen it he has to get off. Joke of a decision. Don't blame the ref though - the umpire called it

heffo

Quote from: ballinaman on August 07, 2016, 10:18:58 PM
How many red cards has Connolly got this year? 1 game suspension if you get a few or is that only for accumulation of black/yellow?

That's the first red (double yellow in last 48 weeks)

ballinaman

Quote from: heffo on August 07, 2016, 10:36:57 PM
How many red cards has Connolly got this year? 1 game suspension if you get a few or is that only for accumulation of black/yellow?

Grand! Swear he's been off a rake of times this year by way some are going on!

straightred

Quote from: hardstation on August 07, 2016, 10:54:55 PM
Quote from: straightred on August 07, 2016, 10:34:43 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 07, 2016, 08:24:41 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 07, 2016, 05:33:45 PM
Dubs to appeal O'Gara red card

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=259158

The suits will make sure he is available for the Kerry game.

Nah.
They'll make an example of him because he's only a peripheral player.
If it was Dermo or Philly, that would be a different kettle of fish.

having just seen it he has to get off. Joke of a decision. Don't blame the ref though - the umpire called it
While I agree it's a harsh sending off, he was put off for a strike. He did strike.

there has to be natural justice. Ref indicated a punch put it wasn't a punch. Maybe that's the technicality that they need?

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

easytiger95

I was very nervy before this game, glad we got it over with. I really think all the chopping and changing in defence is effecting us right through out the team - we are not creating or converting goal chances at the same rate as previous years - though Connolly should have bagged a brace.

According to Al Brogan on twitter McCarthy is goosed for the year, no matter him taking part in warm ups. As for the controversies, Dermo didn't deserve his first yellow as yer man was at him from before the whistle. Doesn't excuse the stupidity for making the second challenge, knowing he was on a yellow, so he had to go.

O'Gara's sending off was a complete joke as Mcgee had nothing on his mind but annoyance as soon as he came on the pitch. Honestly, what is a player meant to do? Ten years ago against Laois, Darren Rooney was at the same craic against Alan Brogan - instead of striking, Brogan pointed at the score board - and thus the legend of the sledging Dubs was born. If O'Gara is going to be sent off for a tap, after basically being assaulted as soon as he got on the pitch, then the game is up for attackers.

For me, the dirtiest blow struck all day was Murphy's - not because I think he is a dirty player, but I think Donegal thought they needed to be revved up and extra physical to win. The carelessness of the challenge was incredible - he could have done awful damage. Fortunately for Murphy, the Dubs didn't react in the way the Donegal lads did after Connolly's challenge, otherwise it could have (should have) been straight red.

It was a pity to see Donegal like that - they are not a patch on the 2014 version, which gave the benchmark cerebral performance against us - there was real thought in that game, didn't seem to be much in this one. Talking to a few Donegal lads after and they reckon Murphy has been injured all year and given no real chance to recover. Interesting to compare how Rory O'Carroll can feel he can take a year off, whilst Murphy (same age) has to be retread constantly. Not fair on such a great player, but I suppose given Donegal's panel depth, that is the way it is going to be. If I was the Donegal management team I'd be saying to Murphy see you next May - don't bother about the league, just recharge over the winter.

oakleafgael

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 08, 2016, 09:36:17 AM
I was very nervy before this game, glad we got it over with. I really think all the chopping and changing in defence is effecting us right through out the team - we are not creating or converting goal chances at the same rate as previous years - though Connolly should have bagged a brace.

According to Al Brogan on twitter McCarthy is goosed for the year, no matter him taking part in warm ups. As for the controversies, Dermo didn't deserve his first yellow as yer man was at him from before the whistle. Doesn't excuse the stupidity for making the second challenge, knowing he was on a yellow, so he had to go.

O'Gara's sending off was a complete joke as Mcgee had nothing on his mind but annoyance as soon as he came on the pitch. Honestly, what is a player meant to do? Ten years ago against Laois, Darren Rooney was at the same craic against Alan Brogan - instead of striking, Brogan pointed at the score board - and thus the legend of the sledging Dubs was born. If O'Gara is going to be sent off for a tap, after basically being assaulted as soon as he got on the pitch, then the game is up for attackers.

For me, the dirtiest blow struck all day was Murphy's - not because I think he is a dirty player, but I think Donegal thought they needed to be revved up and extra physical to win. The carelessness of the challenge was incredible - he could have done awful damage. Fortunately for Murphy, the Dubs didn't react in the way the Donegal lads did after Connolly's challenge, otherwise it could have (should have) been straight red.

It was a pity to see Donegal like that - they are not a patch on the 2014 version, which gave the benchmark cerebral performance against us - there was real thought in that game, didn't seem to be much in this one. Talking to a few Donegal lads after and they reckon Murphy has been injured all year and given no real chance to recover. Interesting to compare how Rory O'Carroll can feel he can take a year off, whilst Murphy (same age) has to be retread constantly. Not fair on such a great player, but I suppose given Donegal's panel depth, that is the way it is going to be. If I was the Donegal management team I'd be saying to Murphy see you next May - don't bother about the league, just recharge over the winter.

ET,

Your well off the mark with that one. The number 15 was marking Connolly and giving him plenty of belts etc away from play but it was the number 5 McHugh who was booked at the same time as Connolly. I thought it was a case of mistaken identidy until seeing it again. McHugh went to run past Connolly to support the play and was pulled back and wrestled to the ground by Connolly, it could just as easily have been a black as a yellow. He did the same with Lacey a few minutes before hand. It was obviously something the Dublin forwards had been instructed to do as any time a deep lying Donegal player went to make a run out to support the play he was either blocked off or pulled back.

All the talk about Dublin's advantages etc but having watched them on Saturday they are an exceptionally well coached team.

The Aristocrat

Quote from: ballinaman on August 07, 2016, 10:52:08 PM
Quote from: heffo on August 07, 2016, 10:36:57 PM

Grand! Swear he's been off a rake of times this year by way some are going on!

Exactly, his discipline is excellent the last few years considering what he has to put up with on the field,  again its driven by the rhetoric from the media and country folk. The same happens to him in club football all the time in every single match he plays for Vinnie's. He is targeted by the media, fuelled by slow motion click bait sites like balls and joe, firing up the country rhetoric of people who need someone to hate on the Dublin team.

There are far dirtier players out there and in years gone by.

AZOffaly

He needs to be cuter though. He is obviously someone who can be got at, and unfortunately lads are working this angle. No matter how good he is, he's no good on the line. And Jim Gavin saying things like he encourages this players to stand up for themselves is stupid. I'm sure he's saying something else in the dressing room, about keeping your head and answering them on the scoreboard.

And Aristo.. if he's also getting it up in Dublin club matches, I presume it's only from the blow in Culchies, not from the pure Dub volk? :)

easytiger95

Quote from: oakleafgael on August 08, 2016, 09:45:00 AM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 08, 2016, 09:36:17 AM

ET,

Your well off the mark with that one. The number 15 was marking Connolly and giving him plenty of belts etc away from play but it was the number 5 McHugh who was booked at the same time as Connolly. I thought it was a case of mistaken identidy until seeing it again. McHugh went to run past Connolly to support the play and was pulled back and wrestled to the ground by Connolly, it could just as easily have been a black as a yellow. He did the same with Lacey a few minutes before hand. It was obviously something the Dublin forwards had been instructed to do as any time a deep lying Donegal player went to make a run out to support the play he was either blocked off or pulled back.

All the talk about Dublin's advantages etc but having watched them on Saturday they are an exceptionally well coached team.

Fair dues Oakleaf, I'll take your word for it. I'd say no matter what happened on Saturday, the Dubs were told not to let Donegal run from deep at you - the one time they did (albeit after us giving it away) you could see how deadly they can be - it was a terrific goal and a real example on how to punish a mistake. Just a real pity that they couldn't work those same opportunities off their own possession, though to be fair, I though either Philly or Jonny Cooper could have been MOTM - great work inside on Murphy and McBrearty.

The Aristocrat

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 08, 2016, 10:01:01 AM
He needs to be cuter though. He is obviously someone who can be got at, and unfortunately lads are working this angle. No matter how good he is, he's no good on the line. And Jim Gavin saying things like he encourages this players to stand up for themselves is stupid. I'm sure he's saying something else in the dressing room, about keeping your head and answering them on the scoreboard.

And Aristo.. if he's also getting it up in Dublin club matches, I presume it's only from the blow in Culchies, not from the pure Dub volk? :)
It must be :) but Vincent's have had a lot runs through Leinster and all Ireland club in recent years and I have see it up close and personal at all levels.

The Trap

Did anyone else think that Kilkenny could have been blown for over-carrying a number of times and for illegal handpasses?

heffo

Quote from: The Trap on August 08, 2016, 10:19:22 AM
Did anyone else think that Kilkenny could have been blown for over-carrying a number of times and for illegal handpasses?

No

sambostar

Quote from: The Trap on August 08, 2016, 10:19:22 AM
Yes, 1 stage in the 2nd half he took about 10 steps with ball in hand - no-one was near him so think that's why he got away with it but I was astounded. He also has this almost rugby-like throw that he does, borderline legal