Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: seafoid on July 31, 2016, 08:36:02 PM
Quote from: Hound on July 31, 2016, 08:18:48 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 31, 2016, 08:11:58 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 31, 2016, 07:43:51 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 31, 2016, 07:30:51 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 31, 2016, 07:12:19 PM
Tipp could smell blood early in that game and went for the kill, in truth they should have won that contest in the first half

In fairness in the first half, Cummins blasted over the bar when one on one with the keeper and O'Donnell dropped the ball just as he was about to shoot into an open goal so I thought the margin at the break was about right. The first 15/20 minutes of the 2nd half though is when the game really went away from us. Tipp got 2 goals and it could have been double that. Thought we would come out improved after a half-time bollocking but if anything our performance level dropped even further.  Lost our shape completely. Just a complete systems failure.

A complete backbone failure too I'm afraid. When the heat came on some lads just melted.

Once a horse refuses a fence once that capacity is always there I'm afraid. It wasn't a case of some trying their damnedness and thing just didn't come off which can happen to any team or player. Some Galway players just gave up. You won't win anything at AI level with a team like that.

Every team can have a bad day at the office
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2008/0816/236567-caffreyp/
It is all about what happens afterwards
That's right. Getting hammered by the All Ireland champions elect is the same as getting hammered by Tipp!
You feel better after getting a 12 point trimming from the eventual winners?
Didn't the Dubs go 3 years in a row losing to the eventual winners in 92 to 94? That must have felt great

You'll have noted the losing margins in all 3 games from 92-94.

And then you have today's collapse that was like Dublin's capitulation in 2009.

You'll note what Gilroy did in 2010- he gutted the team and found men.

twohands!!!

Loads of folks seemed to buy the hype about Galway

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=27180.msg1608374#msg1608374

QuoteThe teams Galway have beaten this year are Roscommon at the 2nd attempt, Mayo (who were abject) by a single score, Laois who were relegated and Derry who avoided relegation on scoring difference. 4 wins out of 10 games. I saw the pictures of them celebrating winning Connacht and I thought they looked very much like a team who were thinking they were going into bonus territory.

4 wins out of 11 after today.
No team with proper ambition gives a toss about a provincial title.

seafoid

Quote from: INDIANA on July 31, 2016, 08:38:14 PM
Tipp could smell blood early in that game and went for the kill, in truth they should have won that contest in the first half

In fairness in the first half, Cummins blasted over the bar when one on one with the keeper and O'Donnell dropped the ball just as he was about to shoot into an open goal so I thought the margin at the break was about right. The first 15/20 minutes of the 2nd half though is when the game really went away from us. Tipp got 2 goals and it could have been double that. Thought we would come out improved after a half-time bollocking but if anything our performance level dropped even further.  Lost our shape completely. Just a complete systems failure.

A complete backbone failure too I'm afraid. When the heat came on some lads just melted.

Once a horse refuses a fence once that capacity is always there I'm afraid. It wasn't a case of some trying their damnedness and thing just didn't come off which can happen to any team or player. Some Galway players just gave up. You won't win anything at AI level with a team like that.

That's right. Getting hammered by the All Ireland champions elect is the same as getting hammered by Tipp!
Didn't the Dubs go 3 years in a row losing to the eventual winners in 92 to 94? That must have felt great

Maybe Galway can do the same,Indy !

A loss can be a good thing if you learn from it.
That early 90s team was a diol trua

INDIANA

Quote from: seafoid on July 31, 2016, 09:00:30 PM

I was pretty shocked by it I had hopes for that Galway team but they are too prone to just giving up. You go out on your shield even if you're losing.

The issue was they could conceivably have lost by 20 points to a team that largely plied it's trade in Div 3 this year.

A great day for Tipperary though and a lovely style to watch too.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 31, 2016, 08:02:43 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 31, 2016, 07:54:46 PM

I doubt few would agree with you there. As I said at half time Tipp were 8 points the better team in that 1st half. Take away the Galway goal totally against the run of play and all Galway managed today was 0-5 in each half.

Well you can't count missed chances for one side and not the other. Tipp had wides but Galway should have had 2 goals. Not that it made a difference overall.
Wasn't counting missed chances I was counting how one team dominated the other in every line and deserved more than a 3 point half time lead. Big reason for that was Walsh got schooled on the line by Kearns.

seafoid

Quote from: INDIANA on July 31, 2016, 09:16:21 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 31, 2016, 09:00:30 PM

I was pretty shocked by it I had hopes for that Galway team but they are too prone to just giving up. You go out on your shield even if you're losing.

The issue was they could conceivably have lost by 20 points to a team that largely plied it's trade in Div 3 this year.

A great day for Tipperary though and a lovely style to watch too.
Super day for Tipp and you couldn't begrudge it to them. I don't know what happened. I thought they would respond at some stage but it didn't happen. They lost the mental battle early in the second half.

From the Bunker

These things come in cycles. Every now and again a great Galway team comes along and does the business. The Galway fans know when this team are great and when to get behind them.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 31, 2016, 09:30:29 PM
These things come in cycles. Every now and again a great Galway team comes along and does the business. The Galway fans know when this team are great and when to get behind them.
Bollox

Galway fans turn up for finals

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on July 31, 2016, 06:26:21 PM
It is a fantastic result for Tipp. Quinlivan must be assured of an All Star.

From a Galway perspective if I had been told they would win Connacht at the start of the year I would have taken it.
At least they are going in the right direction. The team is fairly young and if they learn from this they might do something.  
The football is going to be fairly open for the next few years .

They're not Seaf. All my early-season pessimism is back in abundance - they really, really are a bad team, most particularly in defence. For all the talk about systems, sweepers, unsuitable football style etc., the simple fact remains that you can do nothing with poor quality players, of which we have too many. The hiding that the FB line got had been warned about and was coming in the c'ship, just don't know how we escaped Connacht without getting it. Did any defender even break even with their immediate opponent?

I don't know if KW will continue for another year, I think he will, but he might as well tear up the script and start from scratch again. It's not his fault that the quality of player at his disposal is dreadful, the wretched state (and structure) of the club scene is a large contributor to this. However he's always been far too slow to make changes when games turn against him; he should have done something at HT today instead of waiting until 10 mins of the second half when the game was practically gone.

Finally, great congrats to Tipp. They showed scant regard to any supposed 'reputation' Galway had and played with great assurance and style. What would they be like with a full complement of available players? Let's hope their hurlers are as compliant as our footballers were in 2 weeks time!

T Fearon

Performance of the year from Tipp.Not turgid like Tyrone or Donegal but determined to have a real go,which paid huge dividends.A rare shining light in what has been a terrible championship to date

The Trap

Tony......how much do you think Tyrone or Mayo will win the semi final by? Will that be exciting for you?

seafoid

Duine Eile

Well that was horrendous from start to finish. An absolute shambles, they weren't let play their system and our lads were clueless without it. I was nervous going into this, there was far too much talk of possible semi final opponents all week. After all the complaints of disrespect and writing off our chances before the Mayo game what happened, we did the same thing to Tipperary! Ultimately this was a complete systems failure by players and management. The work rate was gone, lads standing up when the ball didn't land in their laps, they were way off the pace in that game. We were getting beaten in the full back line all day, 3 small backs on 3 big tall bucks and no cover provided, no plan in place for dealing with them at all and what did the management do? Start taking off forwards! Unbelievable! Gary O'Donnell following his man up to his own forward line left Declan Kyne wide open on numerous occasions. Bernard Power made a few great saves, just a pity the rest of his team didn't show the same guts he did. Our complete lack of options off the bench didn't help matters either. At the start of the year if we were told we'd win Connacht and get to a quarter final I'm sure we'd be happy enough but the way they played today was just a let down. Well done to Tipperary, they played the game the way they wanted to and made Galway play it on their terms, fully deserved their win.

T Fearon

It would be indeed poetic justice if Tipp were to meet and beat Tyrone in the semi final,and avenge the travesty that was last year's U21 Final when Tyrone employed every underhand trick known to man to gain a hollow victory

omagh_gael

Quote from: T Fearon on July 31, 2016, 10:55:19 PM
It would be indeed poetic justice if Tipp were to meet and beat Tyrone in the semi final,and avenge the travesty that was last year's U21 Final when Tyrone employed every underhand trick known to man to gain a hollow victory

Keep 'er lit, T.