Galway v Tipperary AIQF 31/07/16

Started by Duine Eile, July 25, 2016, 01:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duine Eile

So Conor Lane is down to referee this one, he seems to be following Galway wherever we go lately, this will be the 4th Galway match he'll be involved in this year I think. Strange!

AZOffaly

Maroon Manc

Its been a long time since Galway were favourites going into a quarter final.

Tipp score a lot but concede a lot too, 2-16 against Cork, 3-17 against Kerry and 2-17 against Derry. I think Comer & Cummins will be looking forward to the game and I'll be interested to see how are defensive structure copes in Croker.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway beat Tipp fairly handily in 2014 in a goal fest and that Galway side wasn't nearly as good as the current version. I'm not sure where Tipp stand in relation to their 2014 team. Like Galway I imagine they've had a fair bit of turnover since. That said I don't think that will have much of a bearing next weekend.

Don't think Galway are good enough that they can afford any kind of complacency. That said Kevin Walsh doesn't seem the type that would allow them to get carried away. It's race week in Galway so that will distract attention away from the footballers and will allow to to prepare for a big game relatively under the radar.

Any kind of win will do me. Don't care about looking good doing it at this stage.

An Fhairche Abu

If we could win it 0-3 to 0-2 I wouldn't care, the result is everything here. I don't think complacency will be an issue as we are only slowly coming back to some decent form and from such a bad place for Galway football.
It should be borne in mind that Tipp will be delighted they have avoided the other 3 provincial winners, I don't think that deep down they would give themselves any chance against them, they will have no fear of Galway.
James Horan reckons Tipp will do it anyway, when he stops picking against us I'll start getting very worried!

Duine Eile

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 25, 2016, 01:58:09 PM
Is he related to Noel Lane? :)

I'd imagine if he was one of those Lanes it wouldn't be the big ball he'd be refereeing!  :)
Regarding the game, don't think our lads will be complacent. The performance of Roscommon at the weekend has put the Connacht final win into perspective and dampened a bit of the hysterics thankfully. Any kind of a win will do me, doesn't need to be pretty so long as we get the right result.

seafoid

This was in 2014 when his contract was up .

"Departing Galway football manager Alan Mulholland is predicting a major breakthrough for the county in the near future.
The Salthill-Knocknacarra clubman has decided not to take up the option of a fourth year in charge of the team, despite having made significant progress this year.
"I do feel a breakthrough is going to come very soon and it is a very hard thing to hand it over, but you can't be selfish about things," he said on Galway Bay FM.
"You can't hold onto them just because you know you've done a lot of work over the last while."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZTpLvsYYHw

AZOffaly

This is from Premierview. The context is one lad asking if the Galway footballers are also called 'Matties' (which I hadn't heard anywhere else except in Tipp to be fair).

Aye. Not really, no. The footballers are a different kind of a Mattie, they're the kind of lads that have a real reason to be putting on the poor mouth instead of the real Matties who will whinge and whine from some of the best pasture this side of Tayto Park. The footballers would have been reared with rocks and shtones and Novenas against emigration at Maam Cross. Some of them would have small fishing boats and jumpers with holes in them. The hurling Matties lose fingers doing battle with a Welger baler but the football lads lose fingers when they're late to the table fighting for their dinner, if you could call boiled whelk and heather stalks a dinner. These were the lads Synge wrote about. If they had a hurley they'd try to ate it, and they'd put a sliotar in the taypot thinking it to be some sort of puffin egg. A different breed them lads. Be on your guard next weekend.

Duine Eile

Bloody hell what kind of pipes are they smoking down there!  ;D

An Fhairche Abu

Couple of questions, what's the "Mattie" reference about? Are these lads well in the head?

AZOffaly

As I said, I never heard it about Galway before apart from in Tipp. No idea where it comes from. Maybe something to do with Mattie Murphy? It's definitely a hurling thing.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 25, 2016, 03:52:16 PM
Couple of questions, what's the "Mattie" reference about? Are these lads well in the head?

Think it's due to the amount of Matties that were generally involved within Galway hurling circles around the time of the Galway v Tipp wars. Mattie Murphy, Mattie Kenny, etc. To be honest I can't think of any other Galway Matties apart from Mattie McDonagh with the footballers in the 50's and 60's.

seafoid

Down around Portumna the name Mattie is common enough. Also in East Galway eg Mattie Murphy or Mattie Coleman. And it isn't on the other side of
the Shannon in places like Lorrha that would supply kids to the secondary school in portumna.

Premierview apparently uses  Matties as the name for Galway people

shark

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 25, 2016, 04:01:22 PM

Think it's due to the amount of Matties that were generally involved within Galway hurling circles around the time of the Galway v Tipp wars. Mattie Murphy, Mattie Kenny, etc. To be honest I can't think of any other Galway Matties apart from Mattie McDonagh with the footballers in the 50's and 60's.

https://youtu.be/vbxMT6j-EMQ

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: shark on July 25, 2016, 04:20:34 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 25, 2016, 04:01:22 PM

https://youtu.be/vbxMT6j-EMQ

I always called him Matthew. ;D