Galway v Tipperary AIQF 31/07/16

Started by Duine Eile, July 25, 2016, 01:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: seafoid on July 31, 2016, 06:26:21 PM
From a Galway perspective if I had been told they would win Connacht at the start of the year I would have taken it.

I think any Galway fan would have but the nature of the disastrous performance today is going to leave an awful bitter taste in the mouth all winter long. I mean Galway aren't nearly as bad as they looked today but a Connacht title doesn't mean much now. It's almost back to square one again.

An Fhairche Abu

Tipp outstanding but any number of counties would have beaten Galway today, total collapse in every line of the pitch. Fair play to Tipp and best of luck to them in the semi-final, a fantastic achievement.

From the Bunker

It is a fantastic result for Tipp. Quinlivan must be assured of an All Star.

From a Galway perspective if I had been told they would win Connacht at the start of the year I would have taken it.
At least they are going in the right direction. The team is fairly young and if they learn from this they might do something.   
The football is going to be fairly open for the next few years .

It might be open as to who reaches Quarter finals and the odd semi-final. But for the foreseeable future Dublin will be top Dogs followed by 3-5 other decent sides, with the rest just making up the numbers.

INDIANA

It is a fantastic result for Tipp. Quinlivan must be assured of an All Star.

At least they are going in the right direction. The team is fairly young and if they learn from this they might do something.   
The football is going to be fairly open for the next few years .

There is nothing going in the right direction. That was an absolute disaster for Galway football today. Hockeyed off the park.

Blowitupref

Tipp could smell blood early in that game and went for the kill, in truth they should have won that contest in the first half and the 9 point winning margin should and could have been 18 points. A total system malfunction for Galway today and they had no plan B once things went badly wrong. The worse I have seen a Connacht champion perform in the All Ireland series since Mayo in 1993 but enough about Galway and their soul searching ahead today was all about Tipp and considering the top players they have been missing Liam Kearns has done a remarkable job with them.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Zulu

Congratulations to Tipp on a fantastic display and I hope they do themselves justice in the semi final. Congratulations to posters Tippabu and AZ were both there I'm sure. AZ is involved in the Tipp development squads so I'm sure he is on cloud 9 tonight. Great stuff and I hope Tipp supporters get behind the team for the semi final and beyond!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 31, 2016, 07:12:19 PM
Tipp could smell blood early in that game and went for the kill, in truth they should have won that contest in the first half

In fairness in the first half, Cummins blasted over the bar when one on one with the keeper and O'Donnell dropped the ball just as he was about to shoot into an open goal so I thought the margin at the break was about right. The first 15/20 minutes of the 2nd half though is when the game really went away from us. Tipp got 2 goals and it could have been double that. Thought we would come out improved after a half-time bollocking but if anything our performance level dropped even further.  Lost our shape completely. Just a complete systems failure.

INDIANA

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 31, 2016, 07:30:51 PM
Tipp could smell blood early in that game and went for the kill, in truth they should have won that contest in the first half

In fairness in the first half, Cummins blasted over the bar when one on one with the keeper and O'Donnell dropped the ball just as he was about to shoot into an open goal so I thought the margin at the break was about right. The first 15/20 minutes of the 2nd half though is when the game really went away from us. Tipp got 2 goals and it could have been double that. Thought we would come out improved after a half-time bollocking but if anything our performance level dropped even further.  Lost our shape completely. Just a complete systems failure.

A complete backbone failure too I'm afraid. When the heat came on some lads just melted.

Once a horse refuses a fence once that capacity is always there I'm afraid. It wasn't a case of some trying their damnedness and thing just didn't come off which can happen to any team or player. Some Galway players just gave up. You won't win anything at AI level with a team like that.

Cunny Funt

I doubt few would agree with you there. As I said at half time Tipp were 8 points the better team in that 1st half. Take away the Galway goal totally against the run of play and all Galway managed today was 0-5 in each half.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 31, 2016, 07:54:46 PM

I doubt few would agree with you there. As I said at half time Tipp were 8 points the better team in that 1st half. Take away the Galway goal totally against the run of play and all Galway managed today was 0-5 in each half.

Well you can't count missed chances for one side and not the other. Tipp had wides but Galway should have had 2 goals. Not that it made a difference overall.

Hound

Tipp were very good, yet could have been a lot better.

Hardest hitters in the championship so far too, which I think played a part in the way Galway folded (Comer, notable exception, although not as fit as he might be).

Still, think Tyrone or Mayo will win the semi, although both would have much preferred Galway.

seafoid

Quote from: INDIANA on July 31, 2016, 07:43:51 PM

A complete backbone failure too I'm afraid. When the heat came on some lads just melted.

Once a horse refuses a fence once that capacity is always there I'm afraid. It wasn't a case of some trying their damnedness and thing just didn't come off which can happen to any team or player. Some Galway players just gave up. You won't win anything at AI level with a team like that.

Every team can have a bad day at the office
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2008/0816/236567-caffreyp/
It is all about what happens afterwards

GaillimhIarthair

Congrats to Tipp on a great performance and a thoroughly deserving victory.  Connacht title seems very hollow right now - total meltdown in the end - a lot of soul searching for some people the next few months.

Hound

Quote from: seafoid on July 31, 2016, 08:11:58 PM

That's right. Getting hammered by the All Ireland champions elect is the same as getting hammered by Tipp!

seafoid

Quote from: Hound on July 31, 2016, 08:18:48 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 31, 2016, 08:11:58 PM

That's right. Getting hammered by the All Ireland champions elect is the same as getting hammered by Tipp!
You feel better after getting a 12 point trimming from the eventual winners?
Didn't the Dubs go 3 years in a row losing to the eventual winners in 92 to 94? That must have felt great