Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo AIQF 6/8/2016

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

To be fair to Tyrone the media do this all the time and try to catch people saying things like that and crate a headline. When you're still peeved off it can be easy to fall for it.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: JoG2 on August 10, 2016, 11:24:56 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 10, 2016, 11:13:28 AM
I'd take those green and red tinted glasses off lads; Mayo showed great accuracy and great character to close out what was probably their first win in a game that close all the way through in the last 5 years but this lot aren't a patch on the team from 2/3 years ago.

Tyrone still had the only goal chance of the game and it was a relatively easy chance for a forward operating at this level and it should have been taken and taking into account the amount of shots they had Tyrone should have at least drawn the game. You're making too much of the tactical masterclass from Rochford,  Tyrone created enough good chances to win the game comfortably but failed to take them.

On a different note it was good to see AOS & COC showing a bit of form.

I'd disagree. This team has the potential to be better than that vintage. Parsons, DOC, Moran flying and COC motoring, Harrison & Durcan  etc..., (some Mayo man listed more reasons 40 odd pages back). Mayo will have a huge say in where Sam resides for the rest of the year

I just don't see it, hope I'm wrong as Mayo have cost me a fortune since 2011 and will continue to do so until they win it as I'm married to a Mayo woman.

From the Bunker

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 10, 2016, 11:49:56 AM
To be fair to Tyrone the media do this all the time and try to catch people saying things like that and crate a headline. When you're still peeved off it can be easy to fall for it.

Yes, emotions are high after Losing. An off the cuff line can be seen as an opportunity to make a headline. Also clever Journalists often use a line like ''Did you feel Sean Cavanagh was targeted today''. In other words putting words in the Managers mouth. Of course he's going to reply yes.

In fairness, most (if not all) Tyrone fans I encountered at the game were blaming no one but themselves for the loss! Very little was made of Canavan as an excuse was made or any other incident.

With Connolly getting sent off in the second game. It was going to be a theme the media ran with. The top star getting personal attention.

Brolly, McConville and Dara OSe have written some low punch articles toward Tyrone in the last couple of days. Talk about kicking a team when they are down. GAA seems to be filled with vile begrudgery, malice and revenge. Is there a sport where week in week out, the character of (amateur) players is questioned, ridiculed and systematically analysed to almost a personal level?

Tyrone lost, Mickey made a (true) off the cuff remark. The media get a story - from one line!

tonto1888

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 10, 2016, 10:16:52 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on August 10, 2016, 07:56:52 AM

Darragh - who knows a thing or two about being targeted - gives his tuppence worth

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/darragh-%C3%B3-s%C3%A9-tyrone-want-sympathy-don-t-make-me-laugh-1.2750925?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

He's completely missing the point.

We don't want sympathy, what we want is people to be consistent.

Lee Keegan's role in getting Cavanagh sent off has been completely airbrushed by the pundits and journalists, had it been Aidan O'Shea has dismissed we would no doubt have journalists and pundits hand wringing about the role of McCarron and McNamee in it.

As for Darragh O'Se, he spent most of his games against Tyrone trying to get under the skin of Cavanagh so he's a good man talking.

Cavanagh got Cavanagh sent off. Nobody else

Disillusioned

Then he uses the media again to ensure no one at county board or other level decides to tap him on the shoulder and tell him that like many long running GAA managers before him, he has done well but now is the time for change to move things on.  Long running managers in other counties have always failed to bring back All Ireland success and their counties are now bumping song the bottom, with Meath and Down coming to mind.

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2016/08/10/news/mickey-harte-begins-plotting-for-2017-645014/

P.S. looks like his time in Mayo has badly affected Tony Mac! (photo in this article)
The global warming scenario is pretty grim. I'm not sure I like the idea of polar bears under a palm

Disillusioned

The global warming scenario is pretty grim. I'm not sure I like the idea of polar bears under a palm

AZOffaly

Jinxy

Knee in opponents chest - yellow card.
Pulling opponents jersey - black card.
Goading the Mayo supporters - that's ok.
The pictures don't lie lads.
Unless they are photoshopped....
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Pulling an opponents jersey is NOT a black card. Jaysus.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Disillusioned on August 10, 2016, 01:32:42 PM
A balanced article?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/latest-gaa-provocation-controversy-just-another-case-of-blind-parochialism-415039.html

A very unbalanced article.

The premise seems to be that certain people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones while others should be allowed.

Tyrone have has a lot levelled at them throughout th years with regard their their perceived underhand ways, they have to defend themselves in this regard as it is patently absurd to claim we aren't the only ones who do this.

I think Mickey's point is that Sean Cavanagh was on the wrong hand of these underhand tactics on Saturday for pretty much the whole match, yet when it's a Tyrone player on the end of them there is no problem.

I remember Tom O'Sullivan spending the whole 05 final trying to rile Canavan into hitting him. I recall Darragh O'Se doing the same to Cavanagh in the 08 final. Nothing was made of these incidents but plenty was made about how Ricey behaved in those games. The lazy and prejudiced bias when it comes to reporting on Northern teams, in particular Tyrone is there for all to see.

If Mayo fans really believe Keegan is a clean defender who doesn't cross the line to get opponents booked then I'd suggest they should see a shrink.

I didn't note Mike Quirke coming our and calling Fitzmaurice a hypocrite when he said Donaghy was getting raped and pillaged in a semi final when Aidan O'Mahony and Peter Crowley had crossed every line there had been in the past two years and Donaghy was no stranger to delving into the dark arts.

The media can't help but have digs at Harte calling put their bias.

ballinaman

Jinxy

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 10, 2016, 01:45:00 PM
Pulling an opponents jersey is NOT a black card. Jaysus.

It is if he falls over.

AZOffaly

No it isn't. It's only a black card if you pull him to the ground.

Jinxy

AZOffaly

You said if he falls over. I'd have to be dragging you down holding onto  the jersey. If I let it go and you fall over, it's not a black.