Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo AIQF 6/8/2016

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

Quote from: Disillusioned on August 09, 2016, 09:44:18 PM
Oisin McConville hits the nail on the head with his usual accuracy:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/oisin-mcconville/o39isin-mcconville-mayo-give-tyrone-dose-of-own-medicine-with-masterclass-414670.html

Dunno about nail on head, mostly just a load of aul shite. Hardly a 'masterclass', Mayo played well, but Tyrone had plenty of chances to win it, thought their game plan was OK, just far too many wides.

moysider

Quote from: tyssam5 on August 10, 2016, 12:58:10 AM

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/oisin-mcconville/o39isin-mcconville-mayo-give-tyrone-dose-of-own-medicine-with-masterclass-414670.html

Dunno about nail on head, mostly just a load of aul shite. Hardly a 'masterclass', Mayo played well, but Tyrone had plenty of chances to win it, thought their game plan was OK, just far too many wides.

From a Mayo point of view (well some of us - not all will agree), it was a bit of a 'masterclass'. No Mayo team has ever done that before.
I doubt any Tyrone supporter thought they would lose this game. Mayo is not supposed to play like that, and the fact that we did and won is probably the most thing that is annoying Harte and his players. He choose to deflect from that though. I suspect that being beaten by a johnny-come-lately is annoying him, players and some Tyrone supporters here also.
I suspect Harte became very conservative to beat  McGuinesses's Donegal in Ulster. But, hey! Kerry, Dublin and Mayo were well schooled by McGuiness as well! Even Mayo, has eventually copped on, belatedly, and manage to put out a half decent conservative game.
Some reckon Mayo were better a few years ago. I'm not convinced the Horan's  Mayo of 2014 would have beaten Tyrone the last day. Tyrone squeezed us that day in 2014 and we squealed before eventually nailing it. Last Saturday was a much better Tyrone team. Last Saturday was also a much more considered, tactical, and hugely better Mayo performance than 2014.
The reality now though is that Dublin has the best defensive system in place - even with 3 of their best defenders missing.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on August 10, 2016, 01:46:07 AM

From a Mayo point of view (well some of us - not all will agree), it was a bit of a 'masterclass'. No Mayo team has ever done that before.
I doubt any Tyrone supporter thought they would lose this game. Mayo is not supposed to play like that, and the fact that we did and won is probably the most thing that is annoying Harte and his players. He choose to deflect from that though. I suspect that is the thing that is annoying some Tyrone supporters here also.
I suspect Harte became very conservative to beat  McGuinesses's Donegal in Ulster. But, hey! Kerry, Dublin and Mayo were well schooled by McGuiness as well. Even Mayo, has eventually copped on, belatedly, and manage to put out a half decent conservative game.
Some reckon Mayo were better a few years ago. I'm not convinced the Horan's  Mayo of 2014 would have beaten Tyrone the last day. Tyrone squeezed us that day and we squealed before nailing it. This was a much better Tyrone team. That was a much better performance than 2014.
2013 I presume you meant. Highly debatable as Tyrone 2013 reached the Division one final losing by just one point to Dublin and reached the All Ireland semi final and had a Mayo side at their peak rattled until the game turned on a dubious penalty.

moysider

Correct. 2013.

I don t think we were at our peak and may never will. As usual, we were eager and gung-ho and it was enthusiasm/desperation that got us over Tyrone that day than anything else. Mayo teams have been like that always anyway.

This year's Tyrone team was much more defensive. The 2013 Mayo team would not have won playing the way they did then against the current Tyrone team.

Captain Obvious

This year's Tyrone team conceded 5-24 against Cavan this summer. Cillian O Connor,Aidan O Shea,Andy Moran and Lee Keegan all got either loads of time or space on the ball before converting their points from play. That is not something you see from a much more defensive Tyrone team.

Mayo would have got more joy and scores against that Tyrone defence last Sunday if they didn't go into their defensive shell a tactic if you look at match stats on don't foul could easily have backfired.

omaghjoe

Quote from: larryin89 on August 09, 2016, 09:17:28 PM
One day someone will tell all and you lot will be shown for what you have engaged in. A f**king disgrace to decency . Saint mickey just your stereotypical devout catholic , full of shite and hypocrisy.

Those New Model War child genes are persistent

No wides

Reading this thread is hilarious - the Tyronies have lost the plot are are totally embarrassing themselves, keep it up lads you are making yourselves look like the hypocritical muppets you are.  ;D ;D ;D

seafoid

Tyronies do the longest post loss thread introspection.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 10, 2016, 03:03:10 AM
This year's Tyrone team conceded 5-24 against Cavan this summer. Cillian O Connor,Aidan O Shea,Andy Moran and Lee Keegan all got either loads of time or space on the ball before converting their points from play. That is not something you see from a much more defensive Tyrone team.

Mayo would have got more joy and scores against that Tyrone defence last Sunday if they didn't go into their defensive shell a tactic if you look at match stats on don't foul could easily have backfired.

I wouldn't agree, I think Mayo adopted the game they needed to just like Donegal did to frustrate Tyrone in the Ulster final.

Donegal were actually quite adventurous by their standards in the two games with Monaghan.

I don't think it was any tactical masterclass from Mayo because Tyrone still had the opportunities to win that game. However it was a gameplan that Mayo adopted to thwart Tyrone and it worked, they made it hard to penetrate them and a lot of players made some really poor decisions when they were turned back and rushed shots from long distance. Mayo were much smarter and much more patient in working the openings and that's why they won.

Greenabovethered

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 10, 2016, 09:34:00 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 10, 2016, 03:03:10 AM

I wouldn't agree, I think Mayo adopted the game they needed to just like Donegal did to frustrate Tyrone in the Ulster final.

Donegal were actually quite adventurous by their standards in the two games with Monaghan.

I don't think it was any tactical masterclass from Mayo because Tyrone still had the opportunities to win that game. However it was a gameplan that Mayo adopted to thwart Tyrone and it worked, they made it hard to penetrate them and a lot of players made some really poor decisions when they were turned back and rushed shots from long distance. Mayo were much smarter and much more patient in working the openings and that's why they won.

Yeah, they just got lucky.

sinabhuil

Sorry but Tyrone lost because they missed easy scoreable chances. To be honest Mayo were only good up to a point. A lot of problems with our lads still and they should not underestimate Tipp.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on August 10, 2016, 01:46:07 AM

I doubt any Tyrone supporter thought they would lose this game. Mayo is not supposed to play like that, and the fact that we did and won is probably the most thing that is annoying Harte and his players. He choose to deflect from that though. I suspect that being beaten by a johnny-come-lately is annoying him, players and some Tyrone supporters here also.
I suspect Harte became very conservative to beat  McGuinesses's Donegal in Ulster. But, hey! Kerry, Dublin and Mayo were well schooled by McGuiness as well! Even Mayo, has eventually copped on, belatedly, and manage to put out a half decent conservative game.
Some reckon Mayo were better a few years ago. I'm not convinced the Horan's  Mayo of 2014 would have beaten Tyrone the last day. Tyrone squeezed us that day in 2014 and we squealed before eventually nailing it. Last Saturday was a much better Tyrone team. Last Saturday was also a much more considered, tactical, and hugely better Mayo performance than 2014.
The reality now though is that Dublin has the best defensive system in place - even with 3 of their best defenders missing.
Yeah, this was the major positive I think; all else is relative but no one can say that Rochford lost the battle of wits and tactical acumen with Harte.
I too think that no Mayo team I've ever seen did that before.
James Horan worked wonders in turning Mayo into one of the top teams in the land but he was clueless when it came to making switches and substitutions.
The 2013 final was there for the taking if anybody on the sideline knew anything about tactics and the need to make changes as the game developed.  The semis of 2014/15 were there for the taking also if only the buckos on the sideline were able to make a stab at reading the game. 
You could go back to the Stone Age and you wouldn't find a Mayo managers that could spot the need to make changes let alone do something about it.
(Well, that's how it seemed to me.)
Rochy earned his corn last Saturday  and I presume Tony McEntee had a part to play in proceedings as well. 10/10 to both.
Roll on the good times!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 10, 2016, 07:56:52 AM

Darragh - who knows a thing or two about being targeted - gives his tuppence worth

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/darragh-%C3%B3-s%C3%A9-tyrone-want-sympathy-don-t-make-me-laugh-1.2750925?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

He's completely missing the point.

We don't want sympathy, what we want is people to be consistent.

Lee Keegan's role in getting Cavanagh sent off has been completely airbrushed by the pundits and journalists, had it been Aidan O'Shea has dismissed we would no doubt have journalists and pundits hand wringing about the role of McCarron and McNamee in it.

As for Darragh O'Se, he spent most of his games against Tyrone trying to get under the skin of Cavanagh so he's a good man talking.