Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo AIQF 6/8/2016

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 08, 2016, 04:14:37 PM
The reaction of some people on here to 'sledging' shows that all is fair game. There is an element of it in most teams but there are a few teams that seem to use it as an organised tactic. Tyrone, Donegal, Dublin a few years back. It's wrong. I know my own club has been involved in it but I don't agree with it. There has to be clear stance on it by the refs and rule makers. The one thing I think we have prided ourselves on over the years is the 'honesty' and 'manliness' of our games. I believe a lot of that has been eroded. Maybe we children of 80's and 90's football have rose tinted outlooks but there is an ever increasing sleaziness creeping into the game. I frankly don't like it and don't care if people think I'm talking bollix. It's there and it's not nice. I played in a win at all costs team but never relied on gutter sniping to win a game. I often answered someone but it was just on response to a verbal attack.

Hah!?

You told me you were winding up poor the Ballina midfielders all those years ago.  :D
MWWSI 2017

Throw ball

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 08, 2016, 04:32:58 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 08, 2016, 03:32:05 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 08, 2016, 03:24:09 PM

Aye, because the dishing out of black cards has had such a good impact so far! Book someone for it, like it says in the rule book. Why are we so fecking keen to send people off in our sport!

Actually ...
Category II
Being ordered off for a Cynical Behavior
Infraction (in Football)
(i) Deliberately pulling down an opponent.
(ii) Deliberately tripping an opponent with the
hand(s), arm, leg or foot.
(iii) Deliberately body colliding with an opponent
after he has played the ball away or for the
purpose of taking him out of a movement of
play.
(iv) Threatening or using abusive or provocative
language or gestures to an opponent or a
team-mate.
(v) Remonstrating in an aggressive manner with
a Match Official.

So it should be a black card by the rules.

I'd like to see where we draw the line with that one then! Another completely unworkable use of the black card. Which is probably why we have never seen it.  How will we define what warrants the sending off. Is calling some a knob worthy of a black card? Is calling them a f**king knob worse? Will it be determined by how close to their face they are? We always seem very keen to send lads off then moan about it when people are sent off.

If the blatantly obvious sledging - like the Tyrone player who roared in AOS face earlier on - was black carded then it would make others think twice.

This sledging crap puts me off watching football more than anything else. It is sly and shows everything bad about a character. We all condemn the punch or the kick but these are regularly carded. To pass sledging off as part of the game does us all a disservice. It is cowardice in that you are not brave enough to let your football ability win through. It also seems to be more premeditated than some physical exchanges.

As a thought was O'Gara or the Tyrone defender I mentioned earlier more deserving of a card on Saturday? I know which I think.

highorlow

I was told today that on Skhye Jim McGuinness said something along the lines that it's all part of the game nowadays.

Lads waving ghost cards to the ref isn't helping the game either though.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Throw ball

Quote from: highorlow on August 08, 2016, 07:05:52 PM
I was told today that on Skhye Jim McGuinness said something along the lines that it's all part of the game nowadays.

Agree 100% on the imaginary card rubbish.

Jinxy

Aye, because the dishing out of black cards has had such a good impact so far! Book someone for it, like it says in the rule book. Why are we so fecking keen to send people off in our sport!

Actually ...
Category II
Infraction (in Football)
play.
team-mate.
a Match Official.

I'd like to see where we draw the line with that one then! Another completely unworkable use of the black card. Which is probably why we have never seen it.  How will we define what warrants the sending off. Is calling some a knob worthy of a black card? Is calling them a f**king knob worse? Will it be determined by how close to their face they are? We always seem very keen to send lads off then moan about it when people are sent off.

I'd make the distinction between some lad calling another lad a bollocks as he walks by him and this thing of blatantly roaring into an opponents face after a free/miss etc.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Jinxy on August 08, 2016, 07:23:01 PM

Actually ...
Category II
Infraction (in Football)
play.
team-mate.
a Match Official.

I'd make the distinction between some lad calling another lad a bollocks as he walks by him and this thing of blatantly roaring into an opponents face after a free/miss etc.

So black card for roaring? Ok. We'd need to be very specific if lads are leaving the pitch.
That was never a square ball!!

larryin89

If someone roars in your face like that you should be allowed stick your head on his nose and break it.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

criostlinn

Quote from: Throw ball on August 08, 2016, 07:09:51 PM
Quote from: highorlow on August 08, 2016, 07:05:52 PM

Agree 100% on the imaginary card rubbish.

Not mad about players who after catching a fella around the neck whilst also tripping him, turning to the ref and making a diving signal

Blowitupref

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 08, 2016, 02:20:47 PM
Did neutrals think it was a good game or just more boring cat and mouse stuff?
It was a interesting game because it was close and no one knew who would win until the final whistle but the game itself was not a good one and won't live in the memory for many neutrals. The basic skill levels between two was surprising low,too much niggle was going on off the ball and not enough football broke out. The importance of having a good long range place kicker was highlighted in this game. Tyrone will be left with a summer of what ifs with only scoring 12 points from 33 scoring chances. The relief on the Mayo players faces at the end told its own tale.

Since the last Tyrone v Mayo championship meeting in 2013 i think Tyrone have remained the same level while Mayo have fallen back however they should reach another All Ireland final like they did in 2013.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2016, 06:57:08 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 08, 2016, 04:14:37 PM
The reaction of some people on here to 'sledging' shows that all is fair game. There is an element of it in most teams but there are a few teams that seem to use it as an organised tactic. Tyrone, Donegal, Dublin a few years back. It's wrong. I know my own club has been involved in it but I don't agree with it. There has to be clear stance on it by the refs and rule makers. The one thing I think we have prided ourselves on over the years is the 'honesty' and 'manliness' of our games. I believe a lot of that has been eroded. Maybe we children of 80's and 90's football have rose tinted outlooks but there is an ever increasing sleaziness creeping into the game. I frankly don't like it and don't care if people think I'm talking bollix. It's there and it's not nice. I played in a win at all costs team but never relied on gutter sniping to win a game. I often answered someone but it was just on response to a verbal attack.

Hah!?

You told me you were winding up poor the Ballina midfielders all those years ago.  :D

One thing having a quite word in a mans ear as he's lining up to catch it than running up to a boy a la McMahon in the above picture and screaming in his face. Like I said there was a bit of it but nothing 'pre-planned'. There seems to be an organisation to it at the minute.

twohands!!!

Dont foul's numbers

33 attempts by Tyrone and 12 points  :-[ :-[ :-[

The big worry is that in the Donegal game Tyrone had 33 attempts and ended up with 13 points. That makes the numbers look less like a once-off bad day at the office and more a systemic issue.

66 attempts and 25 points over 2 games against Division 1 opposition does not bode well for those who hold dear to the idea of Tyrone progressing.

under the bar

QuoteWhen Pat Gilroy took over Dublin back in 2009/10 they had a serious issue slabbering, gloading, and fist pumping, First thing Gilroy done was come down hard on it and how it practically non-existent, so how come Mickey Harte is not capable of doing the same with his own players?

Continually an on going problem, just like Donegal, Harte in my opinion basically condones all the underhand sledging his team fortakes in by not moving to eradicate it, same i say of Gallagher and Jim Mcguinness before him, its pathetic to watch on tv sometimes.

We feel your pain and ire.  You must be well used to hearing words like 'pathetic' following Derry.  ;)

Jinxy

Indiana himself would have been proud of that comeback.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 08, 2016, 07:56:45 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on August 08, 2016, 02:20:47 PM
Did neutrals think it was a good game or just more boring cat and mouse stuff?
It was a interesting game because it was close and no one knew who would win until the final whistle but the game itself was not a good one and won't live in the memory for many neutrals. The basic skill levels between two was surprising low,too much niggle was going on off the ball and not enough football broke out. The importance of having a good long range place kicker was highlighted in this game. Tyrone will be left with a summer of what ifs with only scoring 12 points from 33 scoring chances. The relief on the Mayo players faces at the end told its own tale.

Since the last Tyrone v Mayo championship meeting in 2013 i think Tyrone have remained the same level while Mayo have fallen back however they should reach another All Ireland final like they did in 2013.

I think Tyrone are a lot better and I think Mayo are better than 2013.  Cillian was playing with one hand in 2013. We did not have Parsons! Andy was in recovery from his Cruciate ligament. We did not have DOC.  With Parsons releasing O' Shea. We are stronger up front than in 2013!

Jinxy

What's the story with DOC injury-wise?
Worth risking the next day?