Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo AIQF 6/8/2016

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

Tactics were spot on ? Tbh we should of lost the game and a draw would of been the best we would of got if Tyrone had of not shot so many wides in the last quater. Galway and tyrone games only serious games weve had and not one goal chance created. It bugs me because i believe we are far better than we are showing in this restricted system. Nowt wrong with the defensive structure thats been put in place , im not advocating abandoning it but let the shackles off at the right periods .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Up The Middle

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 08, 2016, 02:49:49 PM
Quote from: Up The Middle on August 08, 2016, 02:25:15 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 08, 2016, 02:10:50 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on August 08, 2016, 01:48:44 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2016, 11:15:17 AM
omagh-gael it can be very difficult to be objective when commenting on one's own county (especially after a narrow defeat), but hats off to you, you have managed it admirably. I wish more of us could do the same.

It was an extremely frustrating match as we had it well within our power to win. The carry on by some of our defenders has left a source taste in my mouth for a long time and the messing after the first ball in was infuriating. I mean, if it served a purpose and was functional you could live with it. It's just so fecking pointless and, in fact, no doubt motivate the attacker more when the next ball came in.

County referees up and down the country are watching that and in the future may be reffing our games. Now put yourself in their shoes when something untoward has happened and they're not 100% who is at fault. The fact that we have a reputation for underhand tactics (when there are many guilty parties, including Mayo, out there) is bound to have an impact on their decision making. The aesthetics of Ronan McNamee etc burn deep in the consciousness.

To be fair, we have cut out a lot of the cynical dross this season and this has been acknowledged by a lot of media I have noticed. However, I think Mickey needs to sort this roaring, posturing bullshit out once and for all.

I think it's pretty harmless stuff, the players shake hands at the end of the match and get on with it. It may not be pleasant but there was a lot of needle from both sets of players, just like it will be when any of the top 5/6 teams play, they all look to cross lines to get an advantage.

The difference is when the abuse crosses the line but I don't think it did Saturday.

Every side has its pups, we are no worse than any other side in this regard despite what the media may like to portray.

I couldn't agree less. It is not harmless, there are young children watching these games and week in and week out they are seeing county footballers (who they aspire to be) roaring into an opponents face when they miss or when their own team score. Is it right that these kids think this is acceptable and the Norm? Ive seen it creeping into my own clubs senior team as well. I despise it. The sooner its out of the game the better.

Young lads have been watching county players breaking each others noses and violently attacking opposition players since the game started. Is it right that they think this is acceptable or the norm?

Compared to that I think roaring at a player is pretty harmless and my point is that while it is not pleasant the game has far bigger problems than this.

If its such a small problem it should be easily eradicated. The quicker the black cards are dished out for this sort of stuff the better. When men start getting the line for this it will soon stop. Too me its the worst thing in the game at the minute.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Up The Middle on August 08, 2016, 03:14:40 PM
omagh-gael it can be very difficult to be objective when commenting on one's own county (especially after a narrow defeat), but hats off to you, you have managed it admirably. I wish more of us could do the same.

It was an extremely frustrating match as we had it well within our power to win. The carry on by some of our defenders has left a source taste in my mouth for a long time and the messing after the first ball in was infuriating. I mean, if it served a purpose and was functional you could live with it. It's just so fecking pointless and, in fact, no doubt motivate the attacker more when the next ball came in.

County referees up and down the country are watching that and in the future may be reffing our games. Now put yourself in their shoes when something untoward has happened and they're not 100% who is at fault. The fact that we have a reputation for underhand tactics (when there are many guilty parties, including Mayo, out there) is bound to have an impact on their decision making. The aesthetics of Ronan McNamee etc burn deep in the consciousness.

To be fair, we have cut out a lot of the cynical dross this season and this has been acknowledged by a lot of media I have noticed. However, I think Mickey needs to sort this roaring, posturing bullshit out once and for all.

I think it's pretty harmless stuff, the players shake hands at the end of the match and get on with it. It may not be pleasant but there was a lot of needle from both sets of players, just like it will be when any of the top 5/6 teams play, they all look to cross lines to get an advantage.

The difference is when the abuse crosses the line but I don't think it did Saturday.

Every side has its pups, we are no worse than any other side in this regard despite what the media may like to portray.

I couldn't agree less. It is not harmless, there are young children watching these games and week in and week out they are seeing county footballers (who they aspire to be) roaring into an opponents face when they miss or when their own team score. Is it right that these kids think this is acceptable and the Norm? Ive seen it creeping into my own clubs senior team as well. I despise it. The sooner its out of the game the better.

Young lads have been watching county players breaking each others noses and violently attacking opposition players since the game started. Is it right that they think this is acceptable or the norm?

Compared to that I think roaring at a player is pretty harmless and my point is that while it is not pleasant the game has far bigger problems than this.

If its such a small problem it should be easily eradicated. The quicker the black cards are dished out for this sort of stuff the better. When men start getting the line for this it will soon stop. Too me its the worst thing in the game at the minute.

Aye, because the dishing out of black cards has had such a good impact so far! Book someone for it, like it says in the rule book. Why are we so fecking keen to send people off in our sport!
That was never a square ball!!

screenexile

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 08, 2016, 03:24:09 PM
Quote from: Up The Middle on August 08, 2016, 03:14:40 PM

Aye, because the dishing out of black cards has had such a good impact so far! Book someone for it, like it says in the rule book. Why are we so fecking keen to send people off in our sport!

The rule book says it's a black card.... the reason we are keen to send people off for it is because we don't want to see it in our game and sending people off is the only way players will learn!

My own view is it should be a sin bin offence but then that's a different argument!

AZOffaly

Actually ...
Category II
Being ordered off for a Cynical Behavior
Infraction (in Football)
(i) Deliberately pulling down an opponent.
(ii) Deliberately tripping an opponent with the
hand(s), arm, leg or foot.
(iii) Deliberately body colliding with an opponent
after he has played the ball away or for the
purpose of taking him out of a movement of
play.
(iv) Threatening or using abusive or provocative
language or gestures to an opponent or a
team-mate.
(v) Remonstrating in an aggressive manner with
a Match Official.

So it should be a black card by the rules.

Jinxy

Has anyone ever received a black card for sledging?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

The Golden Years

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 08, 2016, 12:07:36 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2016, 11:27:41 AM
Dunno what non-Mayo people make of him on the pitch, but I have to say Lee Keegan is one of the nicest lads you could ever meet.

Sure so is Ricey, Conor Gormley, Tiernan McCann etc. Hardly matters when people want to form an opinion. Keegan is a class act and did exactly what he had to do on Sunday and Sean should have handled the whole thing a lot better!

Ricey is a knob on and off the field.

BennyHarp

Quote from: The Golden Years on August 08, 2016, 03:49:57 PM
Dunno what non-Mayo people make of him on the pitch, but I have to say Lee Keegan is one of the nicest lads you could ever meet.

Sure so is Ricey, Conor Gormley, Tiernan McCann etc. Hardly matters when people want to form an opinion. Keegan is a class act and did exactly what he had to do on Sunday and Sean should have handled the whole thing a lot better!

Is name calling and sledging worse on faceless online discussion boards or face to face on a football pitch. Who is the bigger knob I wonder?

Wildweasel74

What i am saying is years ago mouthing lead to the violence, stricter penalties on striking as seen this reduced but not the lead cause of men leading to strike, in most cases mouthing.

Main Street

Quote from: larryin89 on August 08, 2016, 03:06:17 PM
Tactics were spot on ? Tbh we should of lost the game and a draw would of been the best we would of got if Tyrone had of not shot so many wides in the last quater. Galway and tyrone games only serious games weve had and not one goal chance created. It bugs me because i believe we are far better than we are showing in this restricted system. Nowt wrong with the defensive structure thats been put in place , im not advocating abandoning it but let the shackles off at the right periods .
Tyrone shot a lot of wides in the Ulster Final v Donegal, it's just the stunning last few minutes of that game covered up the cracks and left a false impression of a classier finisher.
Tyrone's poor shooting is a part of their game this year.
Of the three, Mayo / Tyrone /  Donegal,   I don't think there's much between them,  games could have  gone either way or gone to replays  but Mayo have been the most impressive and less 'system' orientated.

Minder

Quote from: The Golden Years on August 08, 2016, 03:49:57 PM

Had always heard Ricey was a good spud
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

brokencrossbar1

The reaction of some people on here to 'sledging' shows that all is fair game. There is an element of it in most teams but there are a few teams that seem to use it as an organised tactic. Tyrone, Donegal, Dublin a few years back. It's wrong. I know my own club has been involved in it but I don't agree with it. There has to be clear stance on it by the refs and rule makers. The one thing I think we have prided ourselves on over the years is the 'honesty' and 'manliness' of our games. I believe a lot of that has been eroded. Maybe we children of 80's and 90's football have rose tinted outlooks but there is an ever increasing sleaziness creeping into the game. I frankly don't like it and don't care if people think I'm talking bollix. It's there and it's not nice. I played in a win at all costs team but never relied on gutter sniping to win a game. I often answered someone but it was just on response to a verbal attack.

screenexile

Quote from: Main Street on August 08, 2016, 04:04:38 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on August 08, 2016, 03:06:17 PM
Tyrone shot a lot of wides in the Ulster Final v Donegal, it's just the stunning last few minutes of that game covered up the cracks and left a false impression of a classier finisher.
Tyrone's poor shooting is a part of their game this year.
Of the three, Mayo / Tyrone /  Donegal,   I don't think there's much between them,  games could have  gone either way or gone to replays  but Mayo have been the most impressive and less 'system' orientated.

Would agree with that. . . The Tyrone team in their prime had a system as well but not as rigid as the current version. Players like Jordan/O'Neill/Mulligan/Canavan/McGuigan etc. were given a bit of free reign at times to take the initiative and they were intelligent/skillful enough to be trusted.

The current crop have a few lads who are allowed to do that (Harte/Donnelly/Cavanagh) but not enough quality when it comes to the more experienced/better teams. That game was won on experience and experience alone. Why Mayo were 13/8 baffled me when this Tyrone team appeared as if from nowhere as the closest threat to Dublin. They will be but it's another 3/4 years yet!

BennyHarp

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 08, 2016, 03:32:05 PM

Actually ...
Category II
Being ordered off for a Cynical Behavior
Infraction (in Football)
(i) Deliberately pulling down an opponent.
(ii) Deliberately tripping an opponent with the
hand(s), arm, leg or foot.
(iii) Deliberately body colliding with an opponent
after he has played the ball away or for the
purpose of taking him out of a movement of
play.
(iv) Threatening or using abusive or provocative
language or gestures to an opponent or a
team-mate.
(v) Remonstrating in an aggressive manner with
a Match Official.

So it should be a black card by the rules.

I'd like to see where we draw the line with that one then! Another completely unworkable use of the black card. Which is probably why we have never seen it.  How will we define what warrants the sending off. Is calling some a knob worthy of a black card? Is calling them a f**king knob worse? Will it be determined by how close to their face they are? We always seem very keen to send lads off then moan about it when people are sent off.