Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo AIQF 6/8/2016

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 08, 2016, 01:48:44 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2016, 11:15:17 AM
omagh-gael it can be very difficult to be objective when commenting on one's own county (especially after a narrow defeat), but hats off to you, you have managed it admirably. I wish more of us could do the same.

It was an extremely frustrating match as we had it well within our power to win. The carry on by some of our defenders has left a source taste in my mouth for a long time and the messing after the first ball in was infuriating. I mean, if it served a purpose and was functional you could live with it. It's just so fecking pointless and, in fact, no doubt motivate the attacker more when the next ball came in.

County referees up and down the country are watching that and in the future may be reffing our games. Now put yourself in their shoes when something untoward has happened and they're not 100% who is at fault. The fact that we have a reputation for underhand tactics (when there are many guilty parties, including Mayo, out there) is bound to have an impact on their decision making. The aesthetics of Ronan McNamee etc burn deep in the consciousness.

To be fair, we have cut out a lot of the cynical dross this season and this has been acknowledged by a lot of media I have noticed. However, I think Mickey needs to sort this roaring, posturing bullshit out once and for all.

I think it's pretty harmless stuff, the players shake hands at the end of the match and get on with it. It may not be pleasant but there was a lot of needle from both sets of players, just like it will be when any of the top 5/6 teams play, they all look to cross lines to get an advantage.

The difference is when the abuse crosses the line but I don't think it did Saturday.

Every side has its pups, we are no worse than any other side in this regard despite what the media may like to portray.

winghalfun

QuoteDon't be kidding yourself lad. We could easily say the same thing. You lost a very tight match, there are fine margins in games like that. Take it on the chin

Tubberman, I am taking it on the chin. Doesn't mean to say I can't be disappointed. I genuinely wish Mayo well in the semi-final and hopefully final.  You deserved your win.

The point Omagh Gael highlighted is so right because when a team loses focus the way some of the Tyrone players did - well, even at underage club level you see the result of this.

I stand by my assertion that Tyrone would easily have won had their mental attitude been different

Fuzzman

I think Mayo's tactics were bang on and it's the only way to really beat a team playing with such a defensive system.
Look how Kerry beat Donegal 2 years ago. It is horrible to watch for many but it's a battle of wits and who can take their chances the most. Tyrone stuck much too rigidly to their system and showed no variation and very little pace or support play for the player in possession. I think that's why we had so many wides as we had to shoot from under pressure a lot of the time.

You could see it was a big step up from the teams we had met all year both with their experience and physicality. Mayo's defence dealt quite easily with our forwards whereas Tyrone struggled a bit with O'Shea and Moran.

I can see Mayo frustrate Tipp by playing a similar game rather than opening up and playing a more gung ho style again. I'd love to see Tyrone move away from this style of game but I fear they won't. Did neutrals think it was a good game or just more boring cat and mouse stuff?

Up The Middle

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 08, 2016, 02:10:50 PM
omagh-gael it can be very difficult to be objective when commenting on one's own county (especially after a narrow defeat), but hats off to you, you have managed it admirably. I wish more of us could do the same.

It was an extremely frustrating match as we had it well within our power to win. The carry on by some of our defenders has left a source taste in my mouth for a long time and the messing after the first ball in was infuriating. I mean, if it served a purpose and was functional you could live with it. It's just so fecking pointless and, in fact, no doubt motivate the attacker more when the next ball came in.

County referees up and down the country are watching that and in the future may be reffing our games. Now put yourself in their shoes when something untoward has happened and they're not 100% who is at fault. The fact that we have a reputation for underhand tactics (when there are many guilty parties, including Mayo, out there) is bound to have an impact on their decision making. The aesthetics of Ronan McNamee etc burn deep in the consciousness.

To be fair, we have cut out a lot of the cynical dross this season and this has been acknowledged by a lot of media I have noticed. However, I think Mickey needs to sort this roaring, posturing bullshit out once and for all.

I think it's pretty harmless stuff, the players shake hands at the end of the match and get on with it. It may not be pleasant but there was a lot of needle from both sets of players, just like it will be when any of the top 5/6 teams play, they all look to cross lines to get an advantage.

The difference is when the abuse crosses the line but I don't think it did Saturday.

Every side has its pups, we are no worse than any other side in this regard despite what the media may like to portray.

I couldn't agree less. It is not harmless, there are young children watching these games and week in and week out they are seeing county footballers (who they aspire to be) roaring into an opponents face when they miss or when their own team score. Is it right that these kids think this is acceptable and the Norm? Ive seen it creeping into my own clubs senior team as well. I despise it. The sooner its out of the game the better.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Jinxy

;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

iorras

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 08, 2016, 02:20:47 PM
I think Mayo's tactics were bang on and it's the only way to really beat a team playing with such a defensive system.
Look how Kerry beat Donegal 2 years ago. It is horrible to watch for many but it's a battle of wits and who can take their chances the most. Tyrone stuck much too rigidly to their system and showed no variation and very little pace or support play for the player in possession. I think that's why we had so many wides as we had to shoot from under pressure a lot of the time.

You could see it was a big step up from the teams we had met all year both with their experience and physicality. Mayo's defence dealt quite easily with our forwards whereas Tyrone struggled a bit with O'Shea and Moran.

I can see Mayo frustrate Tipp by playing a similar game rather than opening up and playing a more gung ho style again. I'd love to see Tyrone move away from this style of game but I fear they won't. Did neutrals think it was a good game or just more boring cat and mouse stuff?
I'm not a neutral but I thought, even though the scoreline was low, that it was a more exciting game than the Ulster Final for example. Some of the point scoring was excellent as was some of the kick passing. There was a lot more "go forward" ball as well despite the defensive systems in place and less back and forth and over, besides the last 5 minutes from Mayo when they were trying to hold onto the ball and the lead

seafoid

I think Mayo and the other 2 are more sophisticated. Tyrone are not as good as Donegal 2012. For next year they need a wider range of tactics  .

Jinxy

If you were to watch the highlights of most games this year, you would actually think, "This looked pretty decent".
There have been some absolutely fantastic scores kicked from long-range, tight angles, under pressure etc.
However, the highlights cut out most of the 237 handpasses it took to get a man in a position to shoot.
I genuinely do not think players are less able now in terms of kicking & passing ability, it's just that in a percentage game they are compelled to take the safe option and retain possession.
You can deliver a 70 yard foot-pass onto a man's chest but what does he do when he has it?
If he doesn't have support runners or enough space to turn and shoot himself, he will be turned over.
I have to say though, Mattie Donnelly gave a beautifully lofted foot-pass into one of the corner forwards for a goal chance on Saturday.
It's just a pity we see skill like that so rarely nowadays.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

yellowcard

I felt Mayo's tactics were spot on. Tyrone would have been delighted if Mayo had come out and played conventional football as most of their best players such as Harte, Donnelly, McCann etc would have had a field day turning over Mayo, breaking at speed and expoliting the gaps in behind. It made for a complete arm wrestle of a match and it could have gone either way (similar in many ways to the Ulster final) but if they had chosen their tactics differently as I thought they would have, I think Tyrone would have won easily. Tyrone have perfected this defensive system for a number of years now whereas it isn't natural this Mayo team. Each player has to have a clearly defined role and know exactly what is expected of them which they seem to be improving with.   

Wildweasel74

This type of mouthing  which we see now on a regular basis, Donegal and Tyrone been the prime offenders didnt go on years ago, there be a quick comment but no regular harassment through the game. Reason been a player back then didn't think twice about hitting a man, McKeever on T Ryan, McGilligan on G Ryan, M Lyons on anybody, P`O Se etc, if you continually kept on at players you knew you were going to get hit and hit seriously legally or not. Half these hard men these days would shut up pretty quick if they knew there antics would entail a visit to the local dentist

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Up The Middle on August 08, 2016, 02:25:15 PM

I couldn't agree less. It is not harmless, there are young children watching these games and week in and week out they are seeing county footballers (who they aspire to be) roaring into an opponents face when they miss or when their own team score. Is it right that these kids think this is acceptable and the Norm? Ive seen it creeping into my own clubs senior team as well. I despise it. The sooner its out of the game the better.

Young lads have been watching county players breaking each others noses and violently attacking opposition players since the game started. Is it right that they think this is acceptable or the norm?

Compared to that I think roaring at a player is pretty harmless and my point is that while it is not pleasant the game has far bigger problems than this.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 08, 2016, 02:48:46 PM
This type of mouthing  which we see now on a regular basis, Donegal and Tyrone been the prime offenders didnt go on year ago, there be a quick comment but no regular harassment through the game. Reason been a player back then didn't think twice about hitting a man, McKeever on T Ryan, McGilligan on G Ryan, M Lyons on anybody, P`O Se etc, if you continually kept on at players you knew you were going to get hit and hit seriously legally or not. Half these hard men these days would shut up pretty quick if they knew there antics would entail a visit to the local dentist

So you are saying that

Mouthing = bad
Violence = good

Bizarre logic.

Walter Cronc

McNamee and McCarron are the worst offenders. Could you honestly imagine that McCarron boy giving out to anyone!! Jesus wept!! At least Ricey could play football and would have scored that effort McCarron missed at the end!

LeoMc

The Tyrone system has been all about running to support he man in possession. You have only to look at the majority of the goals they have scored, created by quickly moving into space to support the man.  Mayo and Donegal only did what Tyrone have been doing and ensured there was no space for a runner.

Armamike

Quote from: larryin89 on August 08, 2016, 12:10:12 PM
Looking back on the game , i honestly dont know why  i see things so different .  I think our tactics were rubbish , why did we feel we had to out tyrone by being tyrone. I think its mcantee myself holding the bucks back from going for it and its simply not going to be good enough. Whats the idea anyway , its like over complicating stuff for no logical reason.

Great win , great heart, great bunch of lads but i havent enjoyed much of the football we have played this year , far too conservative . You could see on sat we could have had great success with the most simple of tactics , a decent ball into aido on the square an intelligent (but a basic gaelic football skill that seems to be lost ) position for andy to take the breaking ball and bang over the fooking bar.  Why not try it again x4 if it worked the first time?
Im actually convinced modern managers are anti simple even if it results in a score.

The big bad outsider's fault!  Not McEntee's style if his club management days is anything to go by. 
That's just, like your opinion man.