Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo AIQF 6/8/2016

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2016, 11:27:41 AM
Dunno what non-Mayo people make of him on the pitch, but I have to say Lee Keegan is one of the nicest lads you could ever meet.
Is he developing a reputation as a man who tries to get his man sent off? I am thinking of Connolly last year more than Cavanagh yesterday as I did not see the start of that incident?

Having just thrown some mud there I though he came across as civil in the post match interview on TSG last night.

From the Bunker

Quote from: LeoMc on August 08, 2016, 11:30:23 AM
Dunno what non-Mayo people make of him on the pitch, but I have to say Lee Keegan is one of the nicest lads you could ever meet.
Is he developing a reputation as a man who tries to get his man sent off? I am thinking of Connolly last year more than Cavanagh yesterday as I did not see the start of that incident?

Having just thrown some mud there I though he came across as civil in the post match interview on TSG last night.

Almost all GAA intercounty lads are decent good living people. When you go on the pitch you have to take on a certain persona. It goes with the territory.

muppet

I think Lee is as much sinned against as sinner. He is obviously a man teams would want to get sent off, as Kerry admitted in 2014 (of course they succeeded). However I will have to park my Mayo bias and acknowledge he is usually in the middle of most of these kinds of events too,

His battles with Connolly will go down in the Annals when they are finished playing. I thought despite the controversy and court appearances etc, last year, there was a great photo of Connolly and Keegan shaking hands afterwards (as it should be in Gaa).

Edit: Here it is..

MWWSI 2017

oakleafgael

People get far too caught up in the on field persona of players. We all know players even at club level who are as sound as a pound but once they cross the whitewash are a different animal. Its much the same at inter county and probably much more magnified given the stakes involved.

rosnarun

Quote from: oakleafgael on August 08, 2016, 11:40:13 AM

People get far too caught up in the on field persona of players. We all know players even at club level who are as sound as a pound but once they cross the whitewash are a different animal. Its much the same at inter county and probably much more magnified given the stakes involved.
in Fairness though we only know them as players and what they do off the pitch is not anything to do with us . they can be the nicest guys in the world or grumpy wifebeaters , none of our business
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Lar Naparka

He gets a lot of shite from opponents, including Connolly. Anyone remember the 3013 final where Connolly in an off the ball incident was seen pushing Keegan repeatedly from behind and Keegan attempting to ward him off. The camera had zoned in on this incident and stayed with it for about five seconds.
Like the likes of Aidan O'Sé and Sean Cavanagh, he gets hassled all the time.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

winghalfun

A lot has been made of all the missed chances from Tyrone and rightly so but that many misses cannot simply be put down to poor kicking and poor shot selection.

I think the biggest battle that was lost on the day was the mental one and in such a close scoring encounter this proved decisive.

Games like this happen where the deeper you have to dig the harder it becomes.  You lose your shape, your confidence, your legs feel like lead.  The post become narrower and narrower and your brain is 2 seconds slower than normal.

The disappointment is that this was not a phenomenally good Mayo team and on another day I have no doubt we would have destroyed them.

PW Nally

Tubberman

Quote from: winghalfun on August 08, 2016, 11:45:36 AM
A lot has been made of all the missed chances from Tyrone and rightly so but that many misses cannot simply be put down to poor kicking and poor shot selection.

I think the biggest battle that was lost on the day was the mental one and in such a close scoring encounter this proved decisive.

Games like this happen where the deeper you have to dig the harder it becomes.  You lose your shape, your confidence, your legs feel like lead.  The post become narrower and narrower and your brain is 2 seconds slower than normal.

The disappointment is that this was not a phenomenally good Mayo team and on another day I have no doubt we would have destroyed them.

Don't be kidding yourself lad. We could easily say the same thing. You lost a very tight match, there are fine margins in games like that. Take it on the chin.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

JoG2

Quote from: winghalfun on August 08, 2016, 11:45:36 AM

you actually typed that? On what day would the current Tyrone team have destroyed Mayo? You've a young enough team, who on the whole are a lot less experienced than this Mayo team. These Mayo players know what it is to win, and lose big games in Croke Pk as they have been exposed to the business end of the championship for the last 6 years.  Don't underestimate this Mayo team, they could have a very good year

BennyHarp

Sure so is Ricey, Conor Gormley, Tiernan McCann etc. Hardly matters when people want to form an opinion. Keegan is a class act and did exactly what he had to do on Sunday and Sean should have handled the whole thing a lot better!
That was never a square ball!!

larryin89

Looking back on the game , i honestly dont know why  i see things so different .  I think our tactics were rubbish , why did we feel we had to out tyrone by being tyrone. I think its mcantee myself holding the bucks back from going for it and its simply not going to be good enough. Whats the idea anyway , its like over complicating stuff for no logical reason.

Great win , great heart, great bunch of lads but i havent enjoyed much of the football we have played this year , far too conservative . You could see on sat we could have had great success with the most simple of tactics , a decent ball into aido on the square an intelligent (but a basic gaelic football skill that seems to be lost ) position for andy to take the breaking ball and bang over the fooking bar.  Why not try it again x4 if it worked the first time?
Im actually convinced modern managers are anti simple even if it results in a score.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

screenexile

Quote from: larryin89 on August 08, 2016, 12:10:12 PM
Looking back on the game , i honestly dont know why  i see things so different .  I think our tactics were rubbish , why did we feel we had to out tyrone by being tyrone. I think its mcantee myself holding the bucks back from going for it and its simply not going to be good enough. Whats the idea anyway , its like over complicating stuff for no logical reason.

Great win , great heart, great bunch of lads but i havent enjoyed much of the football we have played this year , far too conservative . You could see on sat we could have had great success with the most simple of tactics , a decent ball into aido on the square an intelligent (but a basic gaelic football skill that seems to be lost ) position for andy to take the breaking ball and bang over the fooking bar.  Why not try it again x4 if it worked the first time?
Im actually convinced modern managers are anti simple even if it results in a score.

I don't think it's McEntee . . .

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/tony-mcentee/employing-sweeper-very-nearly-a-calamity-for-mayo-283453.html

moysider

Quote from: larryin89 on August 08, 2016, 12:10:12 PM

Disagree. Thought the tactics and selection and substitutions were more or less bang on. One of the most impressive performances from this team - much more meaningful than some of the hidings that we've dished out to more tactically naïve teams in recent years.
What would you have done? Gone all gung-ho. Tyrone would have thought all their Christmases came together if we took a more liberal approach. A more high risk approach means more turnovers and we would have played into Tyrone's hands who want to ambush a team and hit them on the break.
Simple stuff like the ball into the square is all very fine but if it is used too much and is predictable it can be easily defended and just becomes another way to give the opposition back the ball.
We have been working on this system a while now and not a bit like the scenario v Kerry in '14 that McEntee was so critical of because it was a one-off.

omagh_gael

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2016, 11:15:17 AM
omagh-gael it can be very difficult to be objective when commenting on one's own county (especially after a narrow defeat), but hats off to you, you have managed it admirably. I wish more of us could do the same.

It was an extremely frustrating match as we had it well within our power to win. The carry on by some of our defenders has left a source taste in my mouth for a long time and the messing after the first ball in was infuriating. I mean, if it served a purpose and was functional you could live with it. It's just so fecking pointless and, in fact, no doubt motivate the attacker more when the next ball came in.

County referees up and down the country are watching that and in the future may be reffing our games. Now put yourself in their shoes when something untoward has happened and they're not 100% who is at fault. The fact that we have a reputation for underhand tactics (when there are many guilty parties, including Mayo, out there) is bound to have an impact on their decision making. The aesthetics of Ronan McNamee etc burn deep in the consciousness.

To be fair, we have cut out a lot of the cynical dross this season and this has been acknowledged by a lot of media I have noticed. However, I think Mickey needs to sort this roaring, posturing bullshit out once and for all.