Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Thy Kingdom Come on August 09, 2016, 01:48:40 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 09, 2016, 01:05:54 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on August 09, 2016, 12:14:48 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 09, 2016, 12:11:31 PM
Quote from: sinabhuil on August 09, 2016, 12:02:15 PM
Lad sour grapes. All beaten teams engage in it including ourselves when Kerry beat us in Limerick. A bit embarrassing really! Cop on lads. All teams sledge. All teams provoke. Just stop complaining about it when it happens against you. Expected more of Tyrone manager and Sean C. Tyrone fans I met after the game agreed that Mayo were the best team and wished us well. Mickey H and Sean C are just trying to promote a siege mentality - tactics really.

My only issue is with how the incident is relayed differently depending on the parties involved.

I agree with you here. Just have a look back at your posts after the Keegan - Connolly incident last year and how your interpretation of the incident has changed when it comes to blackening the name of Keegan today.

I'm saying that if a Tyrone player did what Keegan did and had the track record of doing what Keegan did then the focus would have firmly been on a different light of Keegan's performance and not the good side of it.

You see that's what you get! You happily came on here last year and applauded the way the under 21's went about their work! You took great offence at being reprimanded for it. When the shoe is on the other foot. You go crying to mammy!

The reality for the last decade plus or so, is that Tyrone have been the market leaders in Sledging, bad gamesmanship, and cheating. All the rest are no angels. But have held back more than Tyrone. Tyrone have the name now and nothing can be done other than to change focus and in time they may be seen a 'nicer' crowd. But would this be worth it?  Many of their victories have come from this and they could return to mediocrity.

As for the Game. Told you so! Tyrone this and Tyrone that. Uncle Peter telling Ireland they were the second best in Ireland! Feck sake they could just beat a declined Donegal team and were beaten by a running on empty Mayo outfit. The rubbish on here about under 21 titles, second Division titles and McKenna Cup. No to mention a very poor Ulster Championship. Where did all this hype come from?

As for Mayo. They as I expected had one more kick. They always do at this stage. They in turn struggled to beat a poor Westmeath and Average Tyrone. They will make the final. But it won't be as easy as everybody thinks! The final will be the usual last chance saloon story that Mayo have retold over the last 20+ years now. 13/14 was their chance. It's gone thanks to an amazing Dublin team and Cormac O'Reilly who handed us the game in Limerick. Sad really, as they are the best bunch of players that I've ever seen not to do it - way better than the Kildare 98-2000 vintage.

My problem is not what is done, it is that if the foot was on the other foot and Aidan O'Shea was given a second yellow card then it would all be about the dark arts employed from Tyrone to get him sent off. There has been little said about Keegan, a guy who has a track record in using these tactics. Every team has these players but the coverage over these tactics is not dished out on an even basis and it exposes the naked agenda of the free state media and how disengenuous their outrage about these tactics are.

Ciaran Whelan acting like a defender of the virtues of the game after Tyrone's clash in Monaghan last year before turning into an apologist for dark arts a few weeks later when Dublin clashed with Mayo is another prime example.

You can delude yourself all you want but blatant double standards exist. You can't expect one team to abide by the rules while turning a blind eye to the rest.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: criostlinn on August 09, 2016, 02:29:40 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 09, 2016, 02:24:25 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on August 09, 2016, 02:10:40 PM
Lad sour grapes. All beaten teams engage in it including ourselves when Kerry beat us in Limerick. A bit embarrassing really! Cop on lads. All teams sledge. All teams provoke. Just stop complaining about it when it happens against you. Expected more of Tyrone manager and Sean C. Tyrone fans I met after the game agreed that Mayo were the best team and wished us well. Mickey H and Sean C are just trying to promote a siege mentality - tactics really.

My only issue is with how the incident is relayed differently depending on the parties involved.

I agree with you here. Just have a look back at your posts after the Keegan - Connolly incident last year and how your interpretation of the incident has changed when it comes to blackening the name of Keegan today.

I'm saying that if a Tyrone player did what Keegan did and had the track record of doing what Keegan did then the focus would have firmly been on a different light of Keegan's performance and not the good side of it.

So enlighten us. What did Keegan do that has you Mickey and Sean so much up in arms

I'm not up in arms about what Keegan did.

I'm up in arms about the fact when a Tyrone player bends to rules to take a player out of a game it is brought about as an endemic problem that is Tyrone's alone in the game, when a player like Keegan does the same and has a track record in doing this to a number of players, it does not get the same coverage and spotlight as it would if it was a Tyrone or Donegal player.

Tyrone are held to higher moral standards than other counties when it comes to media coverage and that is where the anger stems from. There were two sets of players at it on Saturday.

Ok so. You saying he bent the rules to get Kavanagh out if the game. Go on. Explain how

Pulling, dragging, checking runs, wrestling Cavanagh to the ground. None of those are in the rules and Keegan has a long history of this.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: redhandefender on August 09, 2016, 02:09:23 PM
Games over, Harte should not have said that, it happens everywhere up and down the country! He probably said it in the heat of the moment. Cavanagh wasn't complaining he was answering questions put to him.

I love the fact everyone is laying the boot in today, especially from lesser counties like Meath, Down, Armagh, Monaghan and whoever else. Jealously is a wonderful thing and Tyrone will nail this to the wall for next year. People shouldn't be worried about this tyrone team but we are making big plans for 5b to 10 years down the line, the current set up is a bonus so we are going nowhere.

As for Oisin Mc Conville he is one to talk about moaning, he wrote a full book on it to feed his ego. Only thing worse to reading it again would be to listen to a version read by the man himself in that accent.

Wise up you buffoon!! As if you have any inkling of how good Tyrone will be in 5/10 years time!

vallankumous

I'm up in arms about the fact when a Tyrone player bends to rules to take a player out of a game it is brought about as an endemic problem that is Tyrone's alone in the game, when a player like Keegan does the same and has a track record in doing this to a number of players, it does not get the same coverage and spotlight as it would if it was a Tyrone or Donegal player.

Tyrone are held to higher moral standards than other counties when it comes to media coverage and that is where the anger stems from. There were two sets of players at it on Saturday.

As there are no rte licene payers or irish Independant readers in Tyrone this will not change.

There's no market in Tyrone for those that drive public opinion on GAA matters.
That's not going to change.

JoG2

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 09, 2016, 02:32:53 PM

You see that's what you get! You happily came on here last year and applauded the way the under 21's went about their work! You took great offence at being reprimanded for it. When the shoe is on the other foot. You go crying to mammy!

The reality for the last decade plus or so, is that Tyrone have been the market leaders in Sledging, bad gamesmanship, and cheating. All the rest are no angels. But have held back more than Tyrone. Tyrone have the name now and nothing can be done other than to change focus and in time they may be seen a 'nicer' crowd. But would this be worth it?  Many of their victories have come from this and they could return to mediocrity.

As for the Game. Told you so! Tyrone this and Tyrone that. Uncle Peter telling Ireland they were the second best in Ireland! Feck sake they could just beat a declined Donegal team and were beaten by a running on empty Mayo outfit. The rubbish on here about under 21 titles, second Division titles and McKenna Cup. No to mention a very poor Ulster Championship. Where did all this hype come from?

As for Mayo. They as I expected had one more kick. They always do at this stage. They in turn struggled to beat a poor Westmeath and Average Tyrone. They will make the final. But it won't be as easy as everybody thinks! The final will be the usual last chance saloon story that Mayo have retold over the last 20+ years now. 13/14 was their chance. It's gone thanks to an amazing Dublin team and Cormac O'Reilly who handed us the game in Limerick. Sad really, as they are the best bunch of players that I've ever seen not to do it - way better than the Kildare 98-2000 vintage.

My problem is not what is done, it is that if the foot was on the other foot and Aidan O'Shea was given a second yellow card then it would all be about the dark arts employed from Tyrone to get him sent off. There has been little said about Keegan, a guy who has a track record in using these tactics. Every team has these players but the coverage over these tactics is not dished out on an even basis and it exposes the naked agenda of the free state media and how disengenuous their outrage about these tactics are.

Ciaran Whelan acting like a defender of the virtues of the game after Tyrone's clash in Monaghan last year before turning into an apologist for dark arts a few weeks later when Dublin clashed with Mayo is another prime example.

You can delude yourself all you want but blatant double standards exist. You can't expect one team to abide by the rules while turning a blind eye to the rest.

You Tyrone men are not wise. Sort out the systematic sledging, diving etc etc that has been going on for well over a decade and you'll be grand. Couldn't be anymore simple

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: JoG2 on August 09, 2016, 02:39:10 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 09, 2016, 02:32:53 PM

You Tyrone men are not wise. Sort out the systematic sledging, diving etc etc that has been going on for well over a decade and you'll be grand. Couldn't be anymore simple

And what about Kerry, Dublin, Mayo?

Why don't they have requirements to sort out the darker side of their game?

whitey

I've seen statements from 3 people who were at Croke Park last Saturday who state the incident for the first yellow was started by Cavanagh shouldering Keegan in the back as the players came onto the field for the second half. Can anyone on here verify that it happened that way?

If it did, could we not argue hat Cavanagh was in fact trying to get a reaction out of Keegan and get him booked, only to see it backfire

highorlow

I think Mickey and poor Seanie are missing the point. Regardless of what Lee and himself were doing at any stage it was the 2nd offence that got him sent off.

If Lee done the same thing, i.e. a high tackle for a 2nd yellow and we lost the game our players and management wouldn't be on the papers a full 3 days later whinging about it.

Time for Tyrone to move on, the result ain't going to change.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

vallankumous

Quote from: whitey on August 09, 2016, 02:46:14 PM
I've seen statements from 3 people who were at Croke Park last Saturday who state the incident for the first yellow was started by Cavanagh shouldering Keegan in the back as the players came onto the field for the second half. Can anyone on here verify that it happened that way?

If it did, could we not argue hat Cavanagh was in fact trying to get a reaction out of Keegan and get him booked, only to see it backfire

3 Witnesses you want confirmed to allow you to argue a fact you made up?

whitey

Quote from: vallankumous on August 09, 2016, 02:52:48 PM
Quote from: whitey on August 09, 2016, 02:46:14 PM

3 Witnesses you want confirmed to allow you to argue a fact you made up?

What other motivation would he had for instigating an incident with Keegan?

vallankumous

Quote from: whitey on August 09, 2016, 02:54:35 PM

What other motivation would he had for instigating an incident with Keegan?

What incident? You one you heard from a fella that saw the fella which you are looking for confirmation on?
Or a real incident?

criostlinn

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 09, 2016, 02:34:09 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on August 09, 2016, 02:29:40 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on August 09, 2016, 02:10:40 PM

So enlighten us. What did Keegan do that has you Mickey and Sean so much up in arms

Ok so. You saying he bent the rules to get Kavanagh out if the game. Go on. Explain how

Pulling, dragging, checking runs, wrestling Cavanagh to the ground. None of those are in the rules and Keegan has a long history of this.

Sorry. Maybe you didn't understand. I was wondering what Keegan did in reality, not what he did in the imaginary world of Ill Bomber

ONeill

Jaysus it's cutting up rough now.

Away home to your sexy wives, Mayo.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

blast05

The problem here is it is imaginary stuff made up to suit an agenda.
Even the incident that the linesman saw in the first half is in your mind Keegans fault. All that happened was the 2 of them were shoving one another after the ball had gone from their vicinity. However, one of Cavanaghs shoves was strong enough to land Keegan on his arse (fair enough) but Keegan caught Cavanaghs leg rather than falling and then wouldn't let it go. Again, all handbags-at-dawn but you have concluded that Keegan was the devious, sinister one.
Having watched Keegan closely for years, the only time he reverted to the devious arts was v Kerry draw in '14 when he stupidly kicked and got sent off (having been provoked)... fair enough.
Even the Connolly incident last year where he put his hand back in Connollys direction twice is hardly in the devious arts territory.

Anyway, the more we talk about Keegan and Cavanagh the more we are following Dublins narrative of 'poor Dermo, more sinned against then sinner.'
What do i mean ?? Dublin want the Keegan/Cavanagh debate to sew the seed in the publics mind and the referees  body that Keegan is a master of the devious arts and the good players like Connolly need protection.
Alan Brogan is at it on Twitter, Jim Gavin is at it, back page of the Herald has it today about Dublin fearing the unfair attention Dermo' will get v Kerry..... and of course the whinging from Mickey H and Cavanagh have focused heavily, albeit indirectly, on Keegan
It is sickening BS. I would have sympathy for Connolly if he didn't consistently react like a thug when the opposing player doesn't geneflect in front of him.
The irony of it is that the true master of the black arts, the most devious & cunning of them all - Philly McMahon - isn't even getting mentioned. In my 'spaced-out' state after the Mayo/Tyrone game, i focused a lot on Murphy/Philly in the Donegal/Dublin game. INCREDIBLE is the only word to describe the patience the Murhpy showed not to wallop McMahon. He must have come close to single-handidly done more verbal sledging to Murphy than the entire Tyrone team done in the season (sorry, thats insulting to Tyrone). To cap it all off, he got away scott free when he threw a punch during the incident where Connolly got his black/red card. A really great footballer but it is him, and most definitely NOT Keegan, that the focus needs to be on.

Anyway, enough of this for me, we have Tipperary to beat.

PS .... Whitey .... on your question of who saw the incident at the start of the second half.... 'yes' as described. I don't think Canavaghs was trying to get any reaction out of Keegan to be honest. It was, i would say, more a case of Cavanagh being syc'd up after half time speech and trying to tell Keegan who was boss