Who can stop Kerry?

Started by kerryforsam16, July 18, 2016, 08:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I wonder why Kerry don't try Bryan Sheehan in goals. He's a big man, has a very accurate and long kickout, could come out for the frees a lá Cluxton or Galligan from Cavan, and he has experience of playing in goals, albeit as a minor. He's not able for midfield, especially against a Dublin, so it might be a way to keep him on the field and actually add something on the kickouts.

yellowcard

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 04, 2016, 10:50:07 AM
I wonder why Kerry don't try Bryan Sheehan in goals. He's a big man, has a very accurate and long kickout, could come out for the frees a lá Cluxton or Galligan from Cavan, and he has experience of playing in goals, albeit as a minor. He's not able for midfield, especially against a Dublin, so it might be a way to keep him on the field and actually add something on the kickouts.

In a high intensity game I do think Sheehan is a weak link. Very gifted ball player but doesn't have the mobility or physicality to last 70 minutes. He is arguably the purest dead ball striker of a ball in the country and its certainly not a bad idea but it is something that would need to be worked on from the start of the season. Also his method of striking a free kick on goals and drawing the ball in would have to change for taking kick outs, though I am fairly sure he would have the ability to adapt. 

AZOffaly

Yeah. I'm not suggesting they do it now, but I would suspect his inter county career is drawing to a close, and he's always going to have that asterix over him. Great freetaker but...... It's probably/definitely cost him his place on Kerry teams in the past, and he's going to be outside the top 15 again v Donegal or Dublin I bet.

Maybe for 2017, if he wants to extend his career and become a more guaranteed starter, maybe it's something he/Fitzmaurice would look at.

omagh_gael

I'd say his performance versus Clare would have left major question marks for Fitzmaurice. That's an interesting idea, AZ. Certainly has paid dividends for the likes of Cavan with Giligan.

AZOffaly

And he *has* played in goals as a minor. I remember him coming along as a young lad, and he was a Kerry minor goalkeeper.

BennyHarp

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 04, 2016, 11:20:25 AM
And he *has* played in goals as a minor. I remember him coming along as a young lad, and he was a Kerry minor goalkeeper.

For a team like Kerry, surely there is better goal keepers in the county than trying to convert Sheehan at this stage of his career? What message does that send to the goalkeepers on the squad/county?
That was never a square ball!!

AZOffaly

It tells them they better get better at their kickouts :)

BennyHarp

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 04, 2016, 12:15:17 PM
It tells them they better get better at their kickouts :)

True! 😀 Kerry haven't played enough meaningful games this year for me to be aware but is this a major problem for them at the minute?
That was never a square ball!!

Keane

Distance free taking and kick outs are definitely major issues for Kerry.

kerryforsam16

Looking forward to final  against mayo

From the Bunker

Quote from: kerryforsam16 on August 06, 2016, 10:48:03 PM

The Junior final? That was played yesterday!  :-\

Wildweasel74

Kerry i feel will have little chance against Dublin, play to open, and no pace in the defence against a  serious set of forwards, The Dublin team needs abit of change, A long ball option in O`Gara would bring a big difference to the dubs as brogan can play of him (His red card be rescinded, there was nothing in it) with Connolly out round the half forward line. I move Flynn to midfield, MacCauley hasn't the legs for it any more by the look of it.

Gael85

Quote from: kerryforsam16 on August 06, 2016, 10:48:03 PM

You must have bought tickets from Pat Hickey?  ;D

Fuzzman

A lot of talk about this Kerry team being old and finished but with the exception of O'Mahoney, Mark O'Shea (who both have been replaced for most of the year anyway), Kieran Donaghy and maybe Gooch who haven't played a lot of games the last 2 years anyway.

Most of their defence seem to be quite young now and with Geaney and James O'Donoghue their new star forwards.
Bryan Sheehan will be a big loss of course as such a reliable free taker is so important in todays game. Look how Dublin have replaced Cluxton with Dean Rock and most games he plays he scores 10-12 points quite often.

You would not be too surprised to see them back in the top 3 again next year.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 30, 2016, 03:39:28 PM
You would not be too surprised to see them back in the top 3 again next year.

Probably says more about the state of the other supposed good sides. In that there aren't very many.