County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, July 13, 2016, 10:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on September 21, 2016, 08:02:12 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 21, 2016, 06:48:16 PM
Quote from: Itchy on September 20, 2016, 08:43:40 PM
The word is that Anthony Cunningham is now favourite for the Cavan job.
According to shannonside radio sport Cunningham will be part of McStays new Roscommon management package.
Also includes Vinny Glennon they say. I presume McHale also included
Heard a rumour Fransheen is part of Nigel's package. Didn't hear any other names.
Only the 2 nominations in.
So it's a straight fight between Dineen and McStay. Who do you think will win?
BTW, what's the general consensus about McStay and his term in charge?
Would the fans be as happy to see him staying on as they were when he first took up the job?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

As the Co Board are going to set up an interview Committee I think we can take it they will be recommending one name to the Co Board Meeting. That way any rebellious clubs or upset northern delegates won't get to vote for Dineen.
McStay will be the recommendation and will be ratified.
Of course in GAAland who can tell.......

As for his first term in charge - either he was joint manager of a disastrous Championship or twas all Fergal's and the bad Boyle boys fault.
Probably 90% delighted to see him in last year. Maybe 50% this year.
More to do with the dirty B********s who done Fergal than McStay himself.
Personally I think he is tainted by association with said B******s.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Quote from: Itchy on September 21, 2016, 10:19:35 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 21, 2016, 07:48:19 PM
Quote from: oliverkelly on September 21, 2016, 10:45:27 AM
Quote from: Itchy on September 20, 2016, 08:43:40 PM
The word is that Anthony Cunningham is now favourite for the Cavan job.

I wonder will he hold off and look for the Clare hurling job

Would have thought Dalo would get that.

Interesting. Supposedly Cavan interviewing this week and next week. No very exciting names in the pot and even the people within the county that I thought might go for it have declared themselves not interested. They could be back on bended knee for Terry Hyland yet!

Would Pat Holmes not be a target?

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on September 22, 2016, 10:18:29 PM
As the Co Board are going to set up an interview Committee I think we can take it they will be recommending one name to the Co Board Meeting. That way any rebellious clubs or upset northern delegates won't get to vote for Dineen.

As for his first term in charge - either he was joint manager of a disastrous Championship or twas all Fergal's and the bad Boyle boys fault.

Dineen is tainted by being a self-interested eejit. If he didn't know he had no chance he's stupid, if he did know he had no chance all he's doing is deepening divisions in a county that has enough troubles singing from the same hymn sheet as is.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on September 23, 2016, 12:49:30 AM

Dineen is tainted by being a self-interested eejit. If he didn't know he had no chance he's stupid, if he did know he had no chance all he's doing is deepening divisions in a county that has enough troubles signing from the same hymn sheet as is.
Well, whatever happens, I wish ye well.
All slagging aside, it would be good for football in the province if we had a few counties with serious sides. It would benefit us all generally.
I think you have a good side in the making and I'd give John Evans more credit for that than most Rossies have done. If ye had the Hyde up and running and yer managership woes sorted out, I'd be prepared to see you being the second best side in Connacht any day! ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Cunny Funt

Dineen is tainted by being a self-interested eejit. If he didn't know he had no chance he's stupid, if he did know he had no chance all he's doing is deepening divisions in a county that has enough troubles signing from the same hymn sheet as is.

I'd keep my words soft and sweet about Dineen if I were you as you may have to eat them. McStay should get the job for 2017 however his replacement will likely be Dineen and it should be interesting which outright manager will be the most successful with Roscommon.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 23, 2016, 01:25:23 AM

I'd keep my words soft and sweet about Dineen if I were you as you may have to eat them. McStay should get the job for 2017 however his replacement will likely be Dineen and it should be interesting which outright manager will be the most successful with Roscommon.

Trust me, we know Dineen well enough around here and he's not got a whole lot of support around here, nevermind in other parts of the county. That tells you all you need to know and it will be a sad day if he is ever given the senior job, unless he shows something he so far has not at club level. I can rattle off at least four or five other coaches in the county who haven't been senior county managers who are better than Dineen. Even Cake has shown more than Dineen has as a manager IMO. It's telling none of those managers had any interest in the senior role this month. I'd be surprised if Dineen will be the next manager after McStay because most of the managers I'm thinking about would have better machines behind them and more passionate supporters than Dineen does so it would take most or all of them deciding not to bother to leave an opening for Dineen. If you think Dineen has endeared himself to officials or grassroots supporters in the county with his antics you're a bit off the mark too.

Dineen's trained the U21s hard when he took over and that was about the best of it - tactically we were very poor at times. He got Castlerea relegated this year and has done nothing in championship with them over two seasons - to me that was a bigger test of his managerial skills than taking a loaded U21 team to a few Connacht titles so for him to seek the senior job after that takes some neck. He'll have a job on his hands keeping the Castlerea job, let alone getting the county one.

Rossfan

The irony of Syfín calling someone an eejit :o
A man who played Senior football for his County for about 12 years and must have 150 "caps".
Managed the County U21s to 2 Connacht titles and 2 all Ireland Finals.
And got elected as a Councillor (nobody's perfect).

Anyway Vinnie Glennon says he's not on McStay's team and it seems Anthony Cunningham says he wasn't approached at all.
After the toxic behaviour of the B*****s it might be difficult for the Macs to get anyone to come near them.
What then?

As for Nigel causing division...... that's there already thanks to the Bs.
The legend himself Danny Burke in a letter to the Ros Herald calls on the Bs to"consider their own positions as they have not got Roscommon football at heart"
That accusation could never be levelled at Danny or Fergal and the 2 Boyle bucks.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on September 23, 2016, 11:05:43 AM
A man who played Senior football for his County for about 12 years and must have 150 "caps".

Anyway Vinnie Glennon says he's not on McStay's team and it seems Anthony Cunningham says he wasn't approached at all.
After the toxic behaviour of the B*****s it might be difficult for the Macs to get anyone to come near them.
What then?

The legend himself Danny Burke in a letter to the Ros Herald calls on the Bs to"consider their own positions as they have not got Roscommon football at heart"
That accusation could never be levelled at Danny or Fergal and the 2 Boyle bucks.

Like Dineen, Danny is a politician. Birds of a feather and all that..

Dineen created an extra sideshow after the one we already caused ourselves - to do that he had to have his own interests rather than the county's at his heart so Danny's logic doesn't hold up at all. He's fully right that Sweeney has had absolutely putrid 12 months as chairman-elect/chairman. Why don't ex-players want to be on the CB? Surely they see it's where the real power resides? Dineen might be going after the wrong job entirely.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Syferus on September 23, 2016, 11:03:28 AM

Trust me, we know Dineen well enough around here and he's not got a whole lot of support around here, nevermind in other parts of the county. That tells you all you need to know and it will be a sad day if he is ever given the senior job, unless he shows something he so far has not at club level. I can rattle off at least four or five other coaches in the county who haven't been senior county managers who are better than Dineen. Even Cake has shown more than Dineen has as a manager IMO. It's telling none of those managers had any interest in the senior role this month. I'd be surprised if Dineen will be the next manager after McStay because most of the managers I'm thinking about would have better machines behind them and more passionate supporters than Dineen does so it would take most or all of them deciding not to bother to leave an opening for Dineen. If you think Dineen has endeared himself to officials or grassroots supporters in the county with his antics you're a bit off the mark too.

Dineen's trained the U21s hard when he took over and that was about the best of it - tactically we were very poor at times. He got Castlerea relegated this year and has done nothing in championship with them over two seasons - to me that was a bigger test of his managerial skills than taking a loaded U21 team to a few Connacht titles so for him to seek the senior job after that takes some neck. He'll have a job on his hands keeping the Castlerea job, let alone getting the county one.

Has Castlerea got any current county players? Pearses I know are full of county players so Cake and Dineen had two very different jobs at club level swap roles would give a better comparison.

Cake would hardly fare off against McStay the man he endorsed he is more likely to be part of his back room team. The reason why I believe Dineen will eventually become senior manager is because he knows these group of Roscommon players better than most and he had them very competitive in the majority of games something the senior team are crying out to be someday. Lookit Roscommons hadn't reached U21 final since 1982 before Dineen arrived and few Connacht U21 titles were won with a record like that it would be foolish not give him a go at senior level.

Rossfan

Sweeney may or may not be a good Chairman but he's not the problem in this case. It's 2 other gents plus.
Danny never said anything in favour of Nigel, he was thanking Fergal and telling the Bs to exit stage left.
I can see the Nomination Committee trawling the Country yet before this saga is over. :-[

As for Nigel and Castlerea- sure their 2 best players for years were Nigel himself and Get Heneghan both well gone past their best before dates.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 23, 2016, 12:12:49 PM

Has Castlerea got any current county players? Pearses I know are full of county players so Cake and Dineen had two very different jobs at club level swap roles would give a better comparison.

Cake would hardly fare off against McStay the man he endorsed he is more likely to be part of his back room team. The reason why I believe Dineen will eventually become senior manager is because he knows these group of Roscommon players better than most and he had them very competitive in the majority of games something the senior team are crying out to be someday. Lookit Roscommons hadn't reached U21 final since 1982 before Dineen arrived and few Connacht U21 titles were won with a record like that it would be foolish not give him a go at senior level.

Castlerea have/had an assortment of county and ex-county lads. As good as any panel in the county after Brigids. Their best player had a year of Dineen and decided to pack up playing for the home club and transfer to his local club in Dublin, something it's fair to say would have been less likely to happen if it was thought Castlerea were headed anywhere. A large chunk of the current panel are players he threw under the bus in 2014 so knowing them is little advantage and in fact a big disadvantage - the CB had to stop him continuing on as U21 manager in 2015 partly because he'd burnt his bridges with players. Dineen may look attractive outside the county but the reputation inside the county is quite different.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Syferus on September 23, 2016, 03:12:35 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 23, 2016, 12:12:49 PM

Castlerea have/had an assortment of county and ex-county lads. As good as any panel in the county after Brigids. Their best player had a year of Dineen and decided to pack up playing for the home club and transfer to his local club in Dublin, something it's fair to say would have been less likely to happen if it was thought Castlerea were headed anywhere. A large chunk of the current panel are players he threw under the bus in 2014 so knowing them is little advantage and in fact a big disadvantage - the CB had to stop him continuing on as U21 manager in 2015 partly because he'd burnt his bridges with players. Dineen may look attractive outside the county but the reputation inside the county is quite different.

Ex county lads doesn't count for much if they are past their best. A lad living in Dublin and transferring to a Dublin club is not something out of the norm you are just looking for a stick to beat Dineen with.

As for throwing players under the bus in 2014 didn't McHale say far worse this summer and is now he's expected to coach those players again next year. I should also note one of the main reason why Mayo didn't want McStay as manager was because the players didn't want McHale as their coach.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Syferus on September 23, 2016, 11:11:50 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 23, 2016, 11:05:43 AM

What then?

Like Dineen, Danny is a politician. Birds of a feather and all that..
He was one. Voted out in favour of Ming, Castlerea still repenting for that I imagine.

Rossfan

Syfín, could you ease up on the hatchet job on a great servant of Ros football and have a bit if respect.
Just say that in your (inexpert no more than my own) opinion he's not good enough for the County Senior for job.

We'll be chasing Banty yet or going cap in hand to Kearns......