Mayo v Kildare, Round 3B Football Qualifier July 16, 2016

Started by From the Bunker, July 10, 2016, 01:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Imagine the amount of fillies he'd go through in a year.

Beffs

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 11, 2016, 06:58:35 PM
Wouldn't have him, he'd be burdened by the expectation of being the next Martin Lynch wouldn't be mentally able to cope. Like SJ he'll only be comfortable being a big fish in a small pond.

Oh, he'll get on just fine.  He'll be in his natural element.  ;D

seafoid

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 11, 2016, 03:03:34 PM
Just doing some video analysis here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr4oIUtCZig

It appears if you get stuck into Mayo early, they don't want to know.
That stadium looks more modern than Newbridge

Dinny Breen

Quote from: moysider on July 11, 2016, 10:15:29 PM

Bringing him up for breeding maybe. If doul thoroughbreds get such big stud fees surely Aido is worth a few hundred a jump?

If we bring Aido to cover a few mares in we'd need to work on his balance. We could always use Joe Brolly as a teaser.
#newbridgeornowhere

highorlow

3 reasons why we could lose this game:

1 - Complacency, Kildare are seen as not the force they once were. People are forgetting that Westmeath aren't a bad side. Kildare have a good midfield and always play a nice brand of football. They will know we are ripe for picking and if / when we let them go 6 ahead they will finish the job.

2- Tactics, in hindsight I can understand the sweeper the last day against the wind. If we play a sweeper the next day we will struggle, especially if it's McL.

3 - Selection, Barry Moran has to start. There is a lad in the forwards who started the last day who has had a number of years to prove himself. He hasn't, if he starts it will be a mistake.

All of the above outcomes are more than likely to happen the next day so I'm afraid to say this but we it's highly likely that we won't be crossing the Shannon this year.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Rossfan

Be some craic if Kildare win this...... ;D
Could be a 200 pager.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

blast05

Quote from: highorlow on July 12, 2016, 10:39:05 AM

1 - Complacency, Kildare are seen as not the force they once were. People are forgetting that Westmeath aren't a bad side. Kildare have a good midfield and always play a nice brand of football. They will know we are ripe for picking and if / when we let them go 6 ahead they will finish the job.

2- Tactics, in hindsight I can understand the sweeper the last day against the wind. If we play a sweeper the next day we will struggle, especially if it's McL.

3 - Selection, Barry Moran has to start. There is a lad in the forwards who started the last day who has had a number of years to prove himself. He hasn't, if he starts it will be a mistake.

All of the above outcomes are more than likely to happen the next day so I'm afraid to say this but we it's highly likely that we won't be crossing the Shannon this year.

Your entire argument went down the toilet when you said 'Westmeath aren't a bad side' .... they have gone from Div 1 to Div 4 in 3 seasons.
If you said Westmeath have a lot of good players (i would take 5 if not 6 of them as starters with Mayo) but as a team are far poorer than the sum of their parts - then you had some argument!

Why is it 'more than likely' that we will be complacent ? I saw enough bite in the 2nd half the last day to be convinced that the lads are trying but it isn't coming together yet.

And re the sweeper .... i am certain the bigger picture is being looked at - and that is the open spaces of Croke Park with Dublin, Kerry etc in mind. I am convinced McLoughlin can have a huge impact if we get that far. A smart ball player who will develop a very good positioning sense as a sweeper if he gets a couple of more games; and who can break at real pace. In fact, he is the type of player Rochford was (OK, minus the pace!). There is no point reverting to a game plan that simply involves putting the players in the best positions, man against man, holding positions, etc in order to get us over Kildare .... that hasn't got us what we wanted at the latter stages in previous years so unless we work with something different and try to fine tune it - well definition of insanity springs to mind.

seafoid

Mayo should be using the qualifiers to try out a few scoring forwards
Imagine if ye won Sam this year. The Dubs are beatable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o2cV-FpoHo

highorlow

QuoteYour entire argument went down the toilet when you said 'Westmeath aren't a bad side' .... they have gone from Div 1 to Div 4 in 3 seasons.

What has the league got to do with anything?

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: highorlow on July 12, 2016, 10:39:05 AM

I'd like to agree with you but I just don't, particularly the bit in bold. We've let both Westmeath and Offaly back from six points down.

highorlow

QuoteI'd like to agree with you but I just don't, particularly the bit in bold. We've let both Westmeath and Offaly back from six points down.

Maybe my point wasn't well made. Kildare hit a hot spot once each year. Last year Cork (that years league finalists would you believe!) got a taste of it and if ye play to 1/2 the potential of the demolition ye did that day we will be beaten.

I'm sure / hope our lads will have watched the video of that and it might knock the complacency out of them.

As for most of our supporters, they have changed hats again now back to the complacency in the Galway game and most expect this to be "business as usual". Expect a quiet day in the stands then.

I've a very bad feeling on this one.

Chimley

This could be a fascinating clash. It's definitely two teams with Jekyll and Hyde characteristics. Neither set of fans will be approaching this with any degree of confidence.

Will the Mayo who beat Donegal last year and won 5 Connachts in a row show up for the first time under Rochford.
Which Kildare will show up? The Cork or Kerry version from 2015?

It's a good chance for the winner to make something out of the year.

seafoid

I remember 2001 and being stunned after the Ros match. It felt like the year was lost. Every qualifier match was potentially the last. There was no certainty. Some of the matches were very close. But they won each one. And meath destroyed Kerry in the other semifinal. So it was underdog status in the final. But the rest is history.

Crete Boom

Quote from: seafoid on July 13, 2016, 01:00:40 PM
I remember 2001 and being stunned after the Ros match. It felt like the year was lost. Every qualifier match was potentially the last. There was no certainty. Some of the matches were very close. But they won each one. And meath destroyed Kerry in the other semifinal. So it was underdog status in the final. But the rest is history.

That team had the memory of wining Sam in 98 along with the medals to prove it though!

seafoid

Quote from: Crete Boom on July 13, 2016, 02:43:09 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 13, 2016, 01:00:40 PM

That team had the memory of wining Sam in 98 along with the medals to prove it though!
Mayo have the memory of going so close