Figuring out who is catholic on the NI soccer panel

Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: BennyCake on June 10, 2016, 07:16:50 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 10, 2016, 07:07:39 PM
It will undoubtedly mean that most of Derby Co's first team squad,and two of Southampton's journeymen,will be playing in front of the largest crowds they've ever played in front of.

Can't get excited by North or South.To be honest the best atmosphere I enjoyed in recent years at an international match was produced by Scotland fans at Celtic Park,where some intense club rivalries were set aside to produce a passionate atmosphere laced with humour and entirely without malice.

My allegiances these days lie with Italy.

If the reason is due to the Vatican, it actually is a separate state from Italy. But maybe they'll be involved in the 2018 qualifying for the World Cup ;)

They'll be Hosts!  :D
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

I see Martin Mc Guinness is going over for the Germany game

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

snoopdog

Quote from: muppet on June 10, 2016, 07:10:28 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 10, 2016, 07:07:39 PM
It will undoubtedly mean that most of Derby Co's first team squad,and two of Southampton's journeymen,will be playing in front of the largest crowds they've ever played in front of.

Can't get excited by North or South.To be honest the best atmosphere I enjoyed in recent years at an international match was produced by Scotland fans at Celtic Park,where some intense club rivalries were set aside to produce a passionate atmosphere laced with humour and entirely without malice.

My allegiances these days lie with Italy.

You and Sean Brady.  ;D
Toni Fearoni loves his Peroni

T Fearon

You plagiarised that from my Facebook!

Was married in Rome and visit Italy at least twice annually.The 2006 World Cup winners hooked me!

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Tonto on June 10, 2016, 06:13:28 PM
I must say when we qualified I only thought about how good it was to have supported NI through the dark days and that we had finally emerged, rejuvenated on pitch and in the stands. We might not have the stars of other teams or the proven manager, but Michael O'Neill has instilled an amazing team spirit. Despite the defections to the south that many believed had weakened our team, we've only got stronger.  Protestants, Catholics, dissenters, atheists, Buddhists, Muslims or Jews - no-one in the stands gives the slightest bit of notice, no-one cares and no-one should.  I'm just delighted that we have 11 players taking to the field on Sunday representing my wee country at a major tournament for the first time in 30 years and each one of them wants to be there.

So watch on bitters. Wish us all the ills in the world. Hate us. Call us scum. Call us bigots despite the fact that you know nothing about us. It will change nothing. We will still be there. We will still have a great time and, it's true, we will come home without a trophy, but getting there was the most important thing, anything that comes after will just be a bonus.

As the great Taylor Swift said, "haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate"  :D

For what it's worth I hope all those who are travelling from NI or the RoI, good luck, enjoy yourselves and don't come him TOO soon.

Great post ruined by the little defections moment. The IFA team had no problem taking Gorman or Bruce the other way or countless lads developed by the EFA

rrhf

Tonto

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on June 11, 2016, 07:43:19 AM
Quote from: Tonto on June 10, 2016, 06:13:28 PM
I must say when we qualified I only thought about how good it was to have supported NI through the dark days and that we had finally emerged, rejuvenated on pitch and in the stands. We might not have the stars of other teams or the proven manager, but Michael O'Neill has instilled an amazing team spirit. Despite the defections to the south that many believed had weakened our team, we've only got stronger.  Protestants, Catholics, dissenters, atheists, Buddhists, Muslims or Jews - no-one in the stands gives the slightest bit of notice, no-one cares and no-one should.  I'm just delighted that we have 11 players taking to the field on Sunday representing my wee country at a major tournament for the first time in 30 years and each one of them wants to be there.

So watch on bitters. Wish us all the ills in the world. Hate us. Call us scum. Call us bigots despite the fact that you know nothing about us. It will change nothing. We will still be there. We will still have a great time and, it's true, we will come home without a trophy, but getting there was the most important thing, anything that comes after will just be a bonus.

As the great Taylor Swift said, "haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate"  :D

For what it's worth I hope all those who are travelling from NI or the RoI, good luck, enjoy yourselves and don't come him TOO soon.

Great post ruined by the little defections moment. The IFA team had no problem taking Gorman or Bruce the other way or countless lads developed by the EFA
I honestly didn't think of the word defection being in any way controversial. Btw I'm not lamenting those defections or saying they should be forced to play for NI. I'm just saying how pleasing it is to qualify for a tournament despite missing what COULD theoretically been very important players for us, but instead we have actually become stronger because instead of people playing half-heartedly for us, each player has CHOSEN to play.

JimStynes

general_lee

Quote from: JimStynes on June 11, 2016, 03:48:00 PM
Anyone heard the word 'banter' being used yet?
There was some banter in nice train station... singing about German bombers... are you in England in disguise. Cringeworthy

snoopdog

LeoMc

Quote from: snoopdog on June 11, 2016, 11:06:12 PM
Fighting with the polish in  nice.
With as in alongside v local ultras according to some reports. But sure everyone is innocent and was attacked by themmuns.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: LeoMc on June 11, 2016, 11:18:02 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on June 11, 2016, 11:06:12 PM
Fighting with the polish in  nice.
With as in alongside v local ultras according to some reports. But sure everyone is innocent and was attacked by themmuns.
All sitting having a poetry recital when set upon by some local thugs... ::)

Tonto

I'm the Information Age there really is no excuse for getting stuck in before you know the facts.  The PSNI who are there are also saying locals attacked Polish and NI fans.

Anyway, I'm off to France now so no time to worry about your petty points scoring and snide remarks. Enjoy watching it later :-)

dec

Quote from: Tonto on June 12, 2016, 03:26:18 AM
I'm the Information Age there really is no excuse for getting stuck in before you know the facts.

Is this your first time on the internet?