Figuring out who is catholic on the NI soccer panel

Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 01, 2016, 09:11:04 PM
So basically what you're saying is anyone that gets to represent n.i in sport is British and feel themselves to be British? Like Paddy Barnes??

Paddy Barnes is a member of the British Empire, so clearly he feels himself British.
The Commonwealth Games are a bit of an outlier, not quite comparable. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

If I'm not mistaken,a NI  match programme had an article (complete with photo of them at a Windsor Park game) on John and Martin Clarke,in which they described how they'd been N I fans since they were in prams.Such is the dangers of stereotyping.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: SHEEDY on June 01, 2016, 09:09:06 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 01, 2016, 06:22:07 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 01, 2016, 04:52:35 PM
Why wouldnt a Newry bar fly these flags? After all Pat Jennings and Peter Mc Parland come from Newry.I was in Drogheda on Monday,and a bar on the way into the town had a bunting featuring flags of all finalists including NI.

Newry was always a West Brit town, obviously nothing has changed.
ye whattt!! cant see too many round newry cheering on owc.

Was thinking very much the same myself. I'd say you'd be set right very quickly if you said that in Barcroft, Derrybeg, Parkhead, etc...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on June 01, 2016, 09:14:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 01, 2016, 09:11:04 PM
So basically what you're saying is anyone that gets to represent n.i in sport is British and feel themselves to be British? Like Paddy Barnes??

Paddy Barnes is a member of the British Empire, so clearly he feels himself British.
The Commonwealth Games are a bit of an outlier, not quite comparable.

You can represent n.i in other competitions too... Jesus you're hard work.... Black and white type of guy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dec

Quote from: armaghniac on June 01, 2016, 08:41:56 PM
If they saw themselves as Irish, they wouldn't be playing for the Billy Boys. So the only question remains is if they bless themselves before taking a penalty.

The Irish Football Association has been organising association football teams and competitions in Ireland since 1880. Of course it is Irish.

armaghniac

Quote from: dec on June 01, 2016, 09:27:12 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 01, 2016, 08:41:56 PM
If they saw themselves as Irish, they wouldn't be playing for the Billy Boys. So the only question remains is if they bless themselves before taking a penalty.

The Irish Football Association has been organising association football teams and competitions in Ireland since 1880. Of course it is Irish.

The Orange Order has been around since 1795 and is of course Irish, but that doesn't mean that you should join them.

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on June 01, 2016, 09:14:27 PM
If I'm not mistaken,a NI  match programme had an article (complete with photo of them at a Windsor Park game) on John and Martin Clarke,in which they described how they'd been N I fans since they were in prams.Such is the dangers of stereotyping.

I remember supporting Norn Irn at the 86 World Cup, but I was just a youngster and didn't know any better. Then I grew up and realised what I'd done. What's their excuse?

Orior

I have to laugh at OWC's billboard on the Antrim Road in Belfast featuring Liam Boyce. Someone has cleverly threw something onto the picture making Liam look like he is being sick. I'm not sure this is because he is playing for the occupied six, or because he didn't get on the plane to France.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ashman

Quote from: Orior on June 01, 2016, 10:28:49 PM
I have to laugh at OWC's billboard on the Antrim Road in Belfast featuring Liam Boyce. Someone has cleverly threw something onto the picture making Liam look like he is being sick. I'm not sure this is because he is playing for the occupied six, or because he didn't get on the plane to France.

Or cos he plays in a pub league ??

T Fearon

NI and ROI like Celtic and Rangers alas represent two different communities.Fact of life.As long as they do not practice sectarianism in team selection and do their best to rid sectarianism from their support base that's all you can ask.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on June 01, 2016, 11:11:44 PM
NI and ROI like Celtic and Rangers alas represent two different communities.Fact of life.As long as they do not practice sectarianism in team selection and do their best to rid sectarianism from their support base that's all you can ask.

Quite right, two communities is correct, NI represents unionist colonial types and the ROI normal Irish people. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on June 01, 2016, 11:19:23 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 01, 2016, 11:11:44 PM

Quite right, two communities is correct, NI represents unionist colonial types and the ROI normal Irish people. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Your view point is as staunch as the dup.... Lets hope you're children don't grow up to date/marry people from different view point to you
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

T Fearon

It is a fact of life.The fact that you have alluded to has been conceded in a referendum,by a vast majority of nationalist people North and South as well.

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 01, 2016, 11:30:50 PM
Your view point is as staunch as the dup.... Lets hope you're children don't grow up to date/marry people from different view point to you

Let's hope that my family never support colonial sectarianism.

Quote from: T Fearon on June 01, 2016, 11:32:06 PM
It is a fact of life.The fact that you have alluded to has been conceded in a referendum,by a vast majority of nationalist people North and South as well.

Oh right, which part of the referendum addressed this matter?

T Fearon

The part,which both electorates North and South agreed, that there cannot be any change in the constitutional status of NI unless a majority of its people consent to such change.Over 90% of those who voted in the south endorsed this and were encouraged to do so by a Fianna Fáil led government in Dublin.