Figuring out who is catholic on the NI soccer panel

Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on June 21, 2016, 06:15:56 PM
Kroos had 54 passes in the first half. NI had 58

And still through to Saturday game... Madness, hopefully the boys get the win tomorrow against Italy, be a full sweep then
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

red hander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 19, 2016, 05:08:59 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 19, 2016, 04:09:24 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 18, 2016, 10:17:16 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 18, 2016, 09:34:37 PM
Hard to take the IFA seriously about inclusively etc when they have no notion of changing flag/anthem. The NI team is a large component of the pul identity so obviously the majority of fans would oppose any such moves. Personally I'd go to a game alright and stand for the anthem as a basic show of respect, even though it makes me cringe if anything. Not half as much at that lot with the Lambeg drum  singing about German bombers, didn't realise ulster played such a big role in raf ww2 battles??

Belfast was bombed big time during the war... The Falls took a major hit
I've heard it said that the orange order wasn't as active during ww2 because there were so many fit men who would have been called to fight if they were seen to be out marching. I know belfast got blitzed... The emphasis seems to be on ww1 however when it comes to constantly commemorating though??

Yep because that's when the legal UVF was formed... West and North Belfast got a good bombing .. The Falls baths was used as a temporary morgue..

I don't know the story of the Orange men not joining up during the second one

The f**kers all joined reserved occupations like the shipyard. Loyal to the crown my hole

Tonto

Quote from: snoopdog on June 21, 2016, 10:59:28 PM
Congrats to the north for qualifying for the last 16 an amazing feat when you only have 40 professional footballers. How that german game finished 1 nil I will never know. Mcgovern was brilliant .
Hopefully our boys will get a win tomorrow and join you in the last 16.
Yep - really hoping that your boys do it tomorrow but also for very selfish reasons. If your lot can win then the third place team from E should put out the Turks and we would probably be facing Wales rather than France this weekend. So there'll be at least one member of the GAWA cheering you on tomorrow :)

ONeill

They'll bate Wales, on penalties, after a 0-0 draw which sees a Norn Iron defender sent off after 66 mins.

They'll be bate by France 4-1, despite taking a 1-0 lead when Kyle Lafferty scores from a corner in the second minute.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Over the Bar

Whilst the IFA has paid mere lip service to eradicating sectarianism and has done absolutely zero in attempting to attract nationalist support, in fact has firther alienated nationalists by attempting to bar nationalist kids from playing for the Republic via the courts in ther most shameful act in recent years,  it's heartening to see that despite this, for the greater part NI fans of their own volition have become more reflective of the northern workplace - largely respectful and leaving politics at the door.  Long may it continue but the band of unemployable knuckledraggers will always still try to hold sway.  Best ignored and given no publicity.

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 21, 2016, 11:01:09 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 21, 2016, 06:15:56 PM
Kroos had 54 passes in the first half. NI had 58

And still through to Saturday game... Madness, hopefully the boys get the win tomorrow against Italy, be a full sweep then
That woukd be super
A great achievement for NI and a super showcase for the players

seafoid

Quote from: Over the Bar on June 21, 2016, 11:09:59 PM
Whilst the IFA has paid mere lip service to eradicating sectarianism and has done absolutely zero in attempting to attract nationalist support, in fact has firther alienated nationalists by attempting to bar nationalist kids from playing for the Republic via the courts in ther most shameful act in recent years,  it's heartening to see that despite this, for the greater part NI fans of their own volition have become more reflective of the northern workplace - largely respectful and leaving politics at the door.  Long may it continue but the band of unemployable knuckledraggers will always still try to hold sway.  Best ignored and given no publicity.
Would younger Nordies tend to be  less bigoted ?They grew up in more normal times.

Applesisapples

I would say the majority of those supporting NI are ordinary decent people, like the fans of most teams. My objection remains that it is not and never will be a country. Legally it is a region of the UK (a country) and to me 6 counties of the 9 county province of Ulster. I'd say the IFA might have more support from younger catholics especially if the dropped the sectarian fleg and GSTQ. But I wonder what the 35 years of the troubles were about as I see McGuinness and the uncle Toms from the nationalist community accept the narrative of this great wee country of ours. Unionism has won and this is exemplified in this team. The Ulster Banner a loyalist invention is now ubiquitous in representing this part of the world in everything.

seafoid

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 22, 2016, 09:14:50 AM
I would say the majority of those supporting NI are ordinary decent people, like the fans of most teams. My objection remains that it is not and never will be a country. Legally it is a region of the UK (a country) and to me 6 counties of the 9 county province of Ulster. I'd say the IFA might have more support from younger catholics especially if the dropped the sectarian fleg and GSTQ. But I wonder what the 35 years of the troubles were about as I see McGuinness and the uncle Toms from the nationalist community accept the narrative of this great wee country of ours. Unionism has won and this is exemplified in this team. The Ulster Banner a loyalist invention is now ubiquitous in representing this part of the world in everything.
I dont think Unionism won. The UK Is going through serious convulsions similar to those of 100 years ago and thèse could result in a breakup. Unionism Is incoherent. There is no going back to the notion of a protestant state for a protestant people. It is a long game that will end in a diluted UI.

Milltown Row2

You can say that a thousand times, its a state and not a country..... but in FIFA's eyes its a recognised as a sporting country and given that status...In the eyes of everyone outside of Britain its seen as a country like Wales and Scotland.. all of the nationalist that voted SF into government have accepted the status quo.. otherwise why would they have the largest nationalist vote?

You should start sending FIFA an objection letter stating Norn Iron is not a country and should therefore be stripped of its place in the Euros

As for wondering what the 35 years of troubles was for? Nothing, senseless murders, bombings, people going to jail for 20 odd years, losing their families their health, their sanity in a lot of cases.... no job prospects either.... I think we'd have got to this point eventually, probably sooner and with a lot less bitterness between both sides I'd suspect
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Unionism has won nothing. Sure they're that insecure they need a border round norn iron.

I don't mind seeing ni do well and most of their fans are fine. Still can't fully relate to it but like to see them do well. They will have some fans who are idots but i go to ireland matches and at last euros there was a guy beside me shouting ira during the fields of athenry. You get them.

There are still very entrenched areas on both sides in ni so there always be bigots but they are getting less.

MoChara

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2016, 09:30:06 AM

You can say that a thousand times, its a state and not a country..... but in FIFA's eyes its a recognised as a sporting country and given that status...In the eyes of everyone outside of Britain its seen as a country like Wales and Scotland.. all of the nationalist that voted SF into government have accepted the status quo.. otherwise why would they have the largest nationalist vote?

You should start sending FIFA an objection letter stating Norn Iron is not a country and should therefore be stripped of its place in the Euros

As for wondering what the 35 years of troubles was for? Nothing, senseless murders, bombings, people going to jail for 20 odd years, losing their families their health, their sanity in a lot of cases.... no job prospects either.... I think we'd have got to this point eventually, probably sooner and with a lot less bitterness between both sides I'd suspect

I don't really see any other way it could have played out though, with our history of rebellion and the nature of the state at the time if it hadn't kicked of in 69 it would have anyway in the decade or so following it, with a system like the Orange state violent insurgence is pretty much inevitable.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: MoChara on June 22, 2016, 09:36:54 AM

I don't really see any other way it could have played out though, with our history of rebellion and the nature of the state at the time if it hadn't kicked of in 69 it would have anyway in the decade or so following it, with a system like the Orange state violent insurgence is pretty much inevitable.

Plenty of countries, sorry states had wholesale discrimination going on, with jobs housing and the rest ... but the violence here was more to do with getting the 'Brits' out of the North, so actually had nothing to do with civil rights and 69...

We'll never know if it was inevitable .... the outlook now by most people that live here is that they wont allow that to happen again.. you still have tension, you still have bigots on both sides and you still have division but the murders have stopped, the discrimination has gone ... I think these things go with the times and as people become more educated then the natural thing is to have a more balanced living, ensuring equality and good prospects for everyone.... unfortunately you'll always have ones harping on about the past, but Jesus lads, enjoy the here and now, you only get one go at this

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2016, 09:54:34 AM
Quote from: MoChara on June 22, 2016, 09:36:54 AM

Plenty of countries, sorry states had wholesale discrimination going on, with jobs housing and the rest ... but the violence here was more to do with getting the 'Brits' out of the North, so actually had nothing to do with civil rights and 69...

We'll never know if it was inevitable .... the outlook now by most people that live here is that they wont allow that to happen again.. you still have tension, you still have bigots on both sides and you still have division but the murders have stopped, the discrimination has gone ... I think these things go with the times and as people become more educated then the natural thing is to have a more balanced living, ensuring equality and good prospects for everyone.... unfortunately you'll always have ones harping on about the past, but Jesus lads, enjoy the here and now, you only get one go at this
That one go for me does not rely on the fortunes of the 6 county football team thank god.