Northwest 200

Started by Longshanks, May 12, 2016, 09:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Malachi Mitchell Thomas was his name. Just 20 years old.

Orior

There is some parallel here between the NW200 and the US Gun Lobby.

All motorbike racing should be on purpose built tracks but that won't happen because of the crowd that follow it.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

general_lee

Think we should ban cars from our roads. You might crash and die. There are too many deaths each year

longballin

Quote from: general_lee on May 16, 2016, 10:34:33 AM
Think we should ban cars from our roads. You might crash and die. There are too many deaths each year

not if drivers stay within the rules... but rules for motorbike road racing?

general_lee

Quote from: longballin on May 16, 2016, 10:39:22 AM

Drivers can stay within the rules and still be involved in a fatal accident.

Gonzalo15

ridiculous argument

general_lee

Quote from: Gonzalo15 on May 16, 2016, 10:59:02 AM

ridiculous argument
Well I think it's no more ridiculous than banning motorcycle racing because someone has a crash. I hate motorcycles and have no interest in the North West. But these guys are incredibly passionate about what they do. If they unfortunately lose their life, at least it was doing something they loved

doodaa

Quote from: Orior on May 15, 2016, 09:08:56 AM
To those who promote the race on GAAboard - why bother cancelling all the races after the rider was killed?

I've heard that the PSNI come in and treat it like they would any other RTA fatality. Ie measurements, witness statements etc. As you can imagine that isn't a 5min job so racing was then cancelled.
I cant verify 100% if that's true but it seems plausible.

longballin

Quote from: general_lee on May 16, 2016, 10:43:31 AM
Quote from: longballin on May 16, 2016, 10:39:22 AM

Drivers can stay within the rules and still be involved in a fatal accident.

not much

Keyboard Warrior

I think what perplexes people on the 'anti-road racing' side (for want of a better term) is that the deaths from road racing seem so avoidable. By racing on a track I am certain many, if not most, of these deaths/injuries would be avoided.

Rosberg and Hamilton crashed during yesterdays F1 at 150+ mph; the cars slid off the track and hit a tyre wall with both able to get out and walk away. I appreciate it's a 4-wheel race rather than 2-wheel, but the benefits of track racing I feel were exhibited in this instance.

TabClear

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on May 16, 2016, 01:17:05 PM
I think what perplexes people on the 'anti-road racing' side (for want of a better term) is that the deaths from road racing seem so avoidable. By racing on a track I am certain many, if not most, of these deaths/injuries would be avoided.

Rosberg and Hamilton crashed during yesterdays F1 at 150+ mph; the cars slid off the track and hit a tyre wall with both able to get out and walk away. I appreciate it's a 4-wheel race rather than 2-wheel, but the benefits of track racing I feel were exhibited in this instance.

As someone who doesn't follow the sport, what is the attraction of road racing as opposed to a track? Is it quicker/easier to overtake?

Gonzalo15

Quote from: general_lee on May 16, 2016, 11:24:15 AM
Quote from: Gonzalo15 on May 16, 2016, 10:59:02 AM

ridiculous argument
Well I think it's no more ridiculous than banning motorcycle racing because someone has a crash. I hate motorcycles and have no interest in the North West. But these guys are incredibly passionate about what they do. If they unfortunately lose their life, at least it was doing something they loved

I get your point that they obviously love it and are willing to do it, so you can't really have a ban. But don't think you can compare high speed motorbike racing to driving in a car which is clearly safer

guy crouchback

maybe this is a stupid question but where do these guys train (practice) they obviously can't do it on ordinary open roads so is it a case of just turning up at races with little of no training on the road at these speeds. do they train on tracks and then race on the roads?

doodaa

Quote from: guy crouchback on May 16, 2016, 02:44:43 PM
maybe this is a stupid question but where do these guys train (practice) they obviously can't do it on ordinary open roads so is it a case of just turning up at races with little of no training on the road at these speeds. do they train on tracks and then race on the roads?

Most, if not all, road racers would also race short circuits as well.
So, no, it isn't a case of just turning up with no training and racing.
It wouldn't be in the interests of the other road racers to allow any Joe Soap with a bike to land up and compete.

doodaa

Quote from: TabClear on May 16, 2016, 02:00:01 PM
Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on May 16, 2016, 01:17:05 PM

As someone who doesn't follow the sport, what is the attraction of road racing as opposed to a track? Is it quicker/easier to overtake?

Having heard a few road racers in various documentaries it seems its line of thinking that one small mistake could mean the end. The thrill of surviving that is the pleasure I suppose.
I don't think its within the bounds of a normal 9-5er to comprehend that.
Similar to why would someone want to climb Mount Everest?