Quote from: screenexile on May 13, 2016, 01:57:47 PM
Quote from: GJL on May 13, 2016, 01:47:10 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 13, 2016, 12:20:39 PM
Quote from: GJL on May 13, 2016, 12:04:40 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 13, 2016, 11:57:58 AM
Quote from: Gonzalo15 on May 13, 2016, 09:18:19 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/36279582

BAN f**king ROAD RACING!!!

It is the rider's choice. They are grown adults who know the risks. No business of yours to tell them how to live their lives.

But sure it's people's choice to take drugs when they know the risks... should we just let them at it as well because they're grown adults?

There comes a point when something is too dangerous and something needs to be done about it. There have been gluts of deaths at the North West since it's inception but there have been 4 now in 8 years and it doesn't look like the rate of death or serious injury is falling. Either ban the f**king thing altogether or make the track/bikes safer because people shouldn't be dying at this thing every other year!

Will we ban scuba diving? mountain climbing? Big wave surfing? White water rafting? Rallying?  I could go on..

Dangerous sports exist and people will always crave the excitement and adrenalin rush they bring. It is up to the individual who takes part to make their own decisions.

Compare the deaths in all those sports around the world with the mortality rate at the Northwest.

People die playing sports I get that and there are some more risky than others my point is the frequency of deaths through road bike racing is much too high to consider it as being in any way safe.

Plus it's not just novices. How many lads at the top of the sport have died or seriously injured themselves doing it?

I understand your point but I still maintain it should be up to the competitors. There are hundreds of riders who want to race and there are 10s of thousands of spectators who want to watch so it won't be changing anytime soon. If you don't like it then don't watch it. Simples.

I don't watch it and have no intention to but it's hard to escape when Watson's all over it!

If you had 2 lads fight to the death you would have hundreds of thosands/millions watching it... doesn't mean it should be allowed!!

Hound

The riders love it. Nobody does it because they have to, they do it because they feckin love it.
There's very little money it, even the very top guys wouldn't be anything approaching wealthy.
There must be something addicitive about it to make them want to go out race after race. Or else they're all just mental.

They do try and make it as safe as possible. Every pillar and post will have protection, but doesn't get away from the fact that every time a lad comes off his life is in serious danger. And unlike the Isle of Man TT, the Irish events are generally races rather than time trials, so far more exciting (IMO) but clearly more dangerous

doodaa

Quote from: screenexile on May 13, 2016, 11:57:58 AM
Quote from: Gonzalo15 on May 13, 2016, 09:18:19 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/36279582

BAN f**king ROAD RACING!!!

Why do you care what other people do with their lives?
If you were a family member/ close friend of a racer I could understand your stance but by the sounds of it you've never been to a race or are even particularly interested in it....except when something bad happens.

I can imagine the response you would get from the riders, mechanics, families et al if you headed down to the pits tomorrow morning asking for it to be banned. I doubt if it would be polite.

armaghniac

Let them ride away as long as they don't block the road.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

SHEEDY

A rider has been killed at the north west this afternoon, racing has been stopped as a result of the accident. His name hasn't been released yet.
Seems to be someone killed or badly hurt every year at this event. Another sad day for motor bike racing.
nil satis nisi optimum

Aaron Boone

RIP.
Maybe speed limiters on the bikes could help. It's a sport where the safety record hasn't improved with technology.

Avondhu star

Sad to hear of tragedy. I always watch the Northwest and some great displays over the years.
Often had a big fry in Ballyclare on way
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

screenexile

RIP

Horrible for the lads family... Surely something has to be done the situation has deteriorated in the last 10 years!!!

mouview

By sad irony, the deceased was the subject of an interview piece on the Beeb program last night. I remember the double-barrel name..

Orior

RIP.

Was he one of the ones that visited the primary school earlier in the week?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

To those who promote the race on GAAboard - why bother cancelling all the races after the rider was killed?

GJL

Quote from: Orior on May 15, 2016, 09:08:56 AM
To those who promote the race on GAAboard - why bother cancelling all the races after the rider was killed?

As a mark of respect. RIP to the young lad who died.

Orior

Doesn't someone die or seriously injured every year? Why not just cancel it every year out of a mark of respect?

theskull1

Quote from: Orior on May 14, 2016, 10:32:42 PM
RIP.

Was he one of the ones that visited the primary school earlier in the week?

Don't know about anyone else, but that's a WTF for me.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

GJL

Quote from: Orior on May 15, 2016, 01:02:01 PM
Doesn't someone die or seriously injured every year? Why not just cancel it every year out of a mark of respect?

Because it is the last thing he or any other riders would want. If you don't understand it just leave it to those that do.