Northwest 200

Started by Longshanks, May 12, 2016, 09:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doodaa

They ruined the circuit when they made them go around Mill Road roundabout the wrong way and also when they introduced the chicane at Mathers Cross IMO.
In saying that its still mental seeing them full chat down the backroad out of Portstewart. TV does them no justice.

GJL

I've never been but must make a point of going once to experience it live. I love motorsport of the 4 wheel type but also enjoy the bikes too.

5 Sams

The North West reminds me of exams when I was at NUU...yes I'm that old! During a break in studying I used to go out and watch the mad bastards.
The Aristocrat Years

GJL

Quote from: screenexile on May 13, 2016, 11:57:58 AM
Quote from: Gonzalo15 on May 13, 2016, 09:18:19 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/36279582

BAN f**king ROAD RACING!!!

It is the rider's choice. They are grown adults who know the risks. No business of yours to tell them how to live their lives.

mikehunt

Quote from: GJL on May 13, 2016, 12:04:40 PM

It is the rider's choice. They are grown adults who know the risks. No business of yours to tell them how to live their lives.

Not sure their families would agree. It's those left behind I feel sorry for. People die every year at these races.

screenexile

But sure it's people's choice to take drugs when they know the risks... should we just let them at it as well because they're grown adults?

There comes a point when something is too dangerous and something needs to be done about it. There have been gluts of deaths at the North West since it's inception but there have been 4 now in 8 years and it doesn't look like the rate of death or serious injury is falling. Either ban the f**king thing altogether or make the track/bikes safer because people shouldn't be dying at this thing every other year!

doodaa

Agreed.

Longshanks

Quote from: screenexile on May 13, 2016, 12:20:39 PM

But sure it's people's choice to take drugs when they know the risks... should we just let them at it as well because they're grown adults?

There comes a point when something is too dangerous and something needs to be done about it. There have been gluts of deaths at the North West since it's inception but there have been 4 now in 8 years and it doesn't look like the rate of death or serious injury is falling. Either ban the f**king thing altogether or make the track/bikes safer because people shouldn't be dying at this thing every other year!

Thousands die from smoking each year and millions are fine, nobody denies its dangerous or bad for you but people have to be given the choice.

Its up to each individual how they live their life and the organisers try each year to make it the safest event they can.

screenexile

Quote from: Longshanks on May 13, 2016, 12:39:50 PM

Thousands die from smoking each year and millions are fine, nobody denies its dangerous or bad for you but people have to be given the choice.

Its up to each individual how they live their life and the organisers try each year to make it the safest event they can.

Bullshit... if smoking didn't exist and was invented today it would be outlawed!!!

GJL

Will we ban scuba diving? mountain climbing? Big wave surfing? White water rafting? Rallying?  I could go on..

Dangerous sports exist and people will always crave the excitement and adrenalin rush they bring. It is up to the individual who takes part to make their own decisions.

Orior

Quote from: GJL on May 13, 2016, 01:47:10 PM

Will we ban scuba diving? mountain climbing? Big wave surfing? White water rafting? Rallying?  I could go on..

Dangerous sports exist and people will always crave the excitement and adrenalin rush they bring. It is up to the individual who takes part to make their own decisions.

Difference is the probabilty of death or injury. I'm also not comfortable with parents taking children to see a motor cyclist wrap himself around a tree or lamppost at 120mph
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

screenexile

Compare the deaths in all those sports around the world with the mortality rate at the Northwest.

People die playing sports I get that and there are some more risky than others my point is the frequency of deaths through road bike racing is much too high to consider it as being in any way safe.

Plus it's not just novices. How many lads at the top of the sport have died or seriously injured themselves doing it?

GJL

Quote from: screenexile on May 13, 2016, 01:57:47 PM

Compare the deaths in all those sports around the world with the mortality rate at the Northwest.

People die playing sports I get that and there are some more risky than others my point is the frequency of deaths through road bike racing is much too high to consider it as being in any way safe.

Plus it's not just novices. How many lads at the top of the sport have died or seriously injured themselves doing it?

I understand your point but I still maintain it should be up to the competitors. There are hundreds of riders who want to race and there are 10s of thousands of spectators who want to watch so it won't be changing anytime soon. If you don't like it then don't watch it. Simples.