Foreign Players in the GAA

Started by Hereiam, May 11, 2016, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Stefan Okunbar is on the Kerry minor panel this year. First guy of non-Irish heritage to make grade as far as I'm aware.

Dingle  have a kid of Lithuanian origin Devidas Uosis, who is a brilliant keeper but also very good outfield. He should wear the county jersey soon as he's around 16 and at the same age I think there's another lad in John Mitchels in Tralee of African origin (I think), Kevin Williams who is absolutely superb.
There's a (tremendously named) lad of African origin who plays under 16s with Austin Stacks called Joe Looby Lugandu and he's a decent player too.

Down in Cork, there was a tremendous underage prospect that Nemo had, lad called Chiedozie Ogbene. Was MOM in a county u21 final last year at only 19, but unfortunately he has signed for Cork City so is lost to GAA for now. Caused some hilarity hearing attempts by PA men to pronounce his name!
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

comeysfield

No such thing as a foreign lad once he or she touches a ball they are  a part of the Parish! 8)

Syferus

Quote from: AQMP on May 11, 2016, 04:48:35 PM
We've spent a fair bit of time here in the North trying to get local British guys interested in the GAA.  Not much success so far even thought they're 50% of the population.  Some of them even have Irish surnames so you'd think that would be a start.

Playing the national anthem for the Republic before matches is a good way to make unionists feel not welcome. A lot of hard work will need to go into targeting the unionist population and engaging them meaningfully in the GAA. Minorities there's a lower barrier to entry and hopefully more and more players with diverse background take part.

I know that for a lot of the older crowd when a lad is good at sport they transcend the colour of their skin even if that is otherwise an issue, a lot see the talented athlete and not a person of colour. That's what sport can do, bring communities together. In Ballagh the Muslim community is pretty well integrated and it's generally been very good for the town with the local cricket team being set up and thriving as well as Akram leading the way for other Muslim kids in the area to take part in the GAA.

Gael85

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on May 11, 2016, 05:59:37 PM
Stefan Okunbar is on the Kerry minor panel this year. First guy of non-Irish heritage to make grade as far as I'm aware.

Dingle  have a kid of Lithuanian origin Devidas Uosis, who is a brilliant keeper but also very good outfield. He should wear the county jersey soon as he's around 16 and at the same age I think there's another lad in John Mitchels in Tralee of African origin (I think), Kevin Williams who is absolutely superb.
There's a (tremendously named) lad of African origin who plays under 16s with Austin Stacks called Joe Looby Lugandu and he's a decent player too.

Down in Cork, there was a tremendous underage prospect that Nemo had, lad called Chiedozie Ogbene. Was MOM in a county u21 final last year at only 19, but unfortunately he has signed for Cork City so is lost to GAA for now. Caused some hilarity hearing attempts by PA men to pronounce his name!

Is that Paddy Okunbar son? He was a great footballer in his day  ;D

Wasnt there a German lad Max Thiemann that played with Kerry minors a few years ago? I remember him playing school final. Was on same team as Jack O'Connor son

rrhf

There used to be a Brazilian lad who was on a winning sigerson team. Don't think he progressed onto his county senior team though. Handy at the free kicks.

muppet

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on May 11, 2016, 05:59:37 PM

I'd say putting his name on the team sheet, as gaeilge, would have been fun too.
MWWSI 2017

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Naas Junior C's had Brazilian keeper a few years back, kickouts were better than Cluxton's

omagh_gael

There's a lad from my (adopted) club, Loughmacrory, from Eastern Europe who captained the Tyrone u-17 team that won the Ulster league recently. His name is Arnoldos Macidulkus.

5 Sams

Quote from: Hereiam on May 11, 2016, 03:45:57 PM
I really think the GAA needs to try and encourage these people into the sport. Nothing better than your local club to help you get involved in the community.
Anyone know if Dungannon Clarkes have many as the town is nearly 90% foreign nationals

Our lads played Clarkes in the Feile AI finals in Kildare last year and they had 3 or 4 young black lads playing. They were brilliant...superb athletes and great ball skills. Our boys couldn't touch them for speed etc. Pleasure to watch.
The Aristocrat Years

ashman

A chap I know who is involved in a Dublin club reckons they all play for the school but getting them to the clubs is more difficult .  Would this be the case in general.

general_lee

I *think* Armagh minors may have one or two "new" Irish playing on the panel. A young Portuguese/Brazilian from Portadown is definitely on the panel.

Jinxy

Surprised Galway don't have a few fancy dans from Gort playing by now.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

5 Sams

I remember an Eastern European lad playing a schools game for St Josephs Crossmaglen a few years ago in our field. He scored something like 4-04. Amazing performance. Any updates BCB1
The Aristocrat Years

armaghniac

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 11, 2016, 10:42:24 PM
I remember an Eastern European lad playing a schools game for St Josephs Crossmaglen a few years ago in our field. He scored something like 4-04. Amazing performance. Any updates BCB1

Discussed in our previous thread on this topic, a chap called Arnus Dzinkevicius.
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=15546.15
I don't think he is from Cross' proper though, or he'd have a few medals at this stage. Mullaghbawn maybe?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

DuffleKing

Quote from: armaghniac on May 11, 2016, 11:20:53 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on May 11, 2016, 10:42:24 PM

Discussed in our previous thread on this topic, a chap called Arnus Dzinkevicius.
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=15546.15
I don't think he is from Cross' proper though, or he'd have a few medals at this stage. Mullaghbawn maybe?

If he was any good he'd have transferred to cross by now though  ;D