The new Irish

Started by seafoid, February 25, 2010, 10:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

mylestheslasher

Was in a maternity ward there the other day in Castlebar, 6 beds in it. 4 Irish (including 1 traveller), 1  polish and 1 Middle Eastern. I think Ireland will look different in 20 years time but I welcome it myself.

southsidejohnny

For sure Ireland will look different in twenty years time. Definatly not looking forward to it. Nothing but problems and mayhem ahead imo.

irunthev

I played a bit of county and I'm a New Zealander. I was replaced by an Australian when I stopped playing.

Rav67

Quote from: southsidejohnny on February 26, 2010, 11:13:36 AM
For sure Ireland will look different in twenty years time. Definatly not looking forward to it. Nothing but problems and mayhem ahead imo.

Hello there Mr Powell.

stephenite

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 26, 2010, 09:02:53 AM
Quote from: stephenite on February 26, 2010, 12:50:27 AM
Mayo had a New Zealander long before Ricey came on the scene - Danny Culloty was from San Fran - I'm sure there's plenty more

Is McMenamin not Canadian?

Ziggy's point is that Tyrone were playing foreign types for years, just pointing that other counties were at it long before the Dromore came on the scene

thejuice

Quote from: Rav67 on February 26, 2010, 11:23:16 AM

Hello there Mr Powell.

I wouldn't jump to start calling anyone after Eonoch for saying that. There are already plenty of social problems in the making in west Dublin due the rubbish planning system where developers built loads of houses but with little provision of facilities to support that, such as schools, health care etc. Then its the foreignors who are blamed for clogging up the system etc. 'New Irish' are being refused admittance to some local schools due to them not being Catholic and have to travel long distances to find one that will.

What makes it worse is that its happened so many times in other countries and its so predictable, (suburbs in Paris are in some cases no-go areas for French natives) if we are not careful Ireland could be a complete mess and I don't trust the f**kers in the Dáil or Dublin City Council to get it right. I don't mind immigration but we should certainly do it on our own terms and in a way thats beneficial for everyone. A lot of work in terms of providing amenities for people needs to be done especially teenagers as thats when it starts. From my experience the new Irish arent interested in sitting in the pub paying over the odds for shite beer and very few will know much about GAA.

Looking through the Meath yearbook at Christmas there are a good few lads on the underage teams from abroad. In a couple of years we will them in the minors. More power to them, we have a lot of work to do to get more of them involved as it would be very easy for them to head to the soccer clubs as its what they are more familiar with.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

J70

Quote from: thejuice on February 27, 2010, 01:09:11 PM
Quote from: Rav67 on February 26, 2010, 11:23:16 AM

Hello there Mr Powell.

I wouldn't jump to start calling anyone after Eonoch for saying that. There are already plenty of social problems in the making in west Dublin due the rubbish planning system where developers built loads of houses but with little provision of facilities to support that, such as schools, health care etc. Then its the foreignors who are blamed for clogging up the system etc. 'New Irish' are being refused admittance to some local schools due to them not being Catholic and have to travel long distances to find one that will.

What makes it worse is that its happened so many times in other countries and its so predictable, (suburbs in Paris are in some cases no-go areas for French natives) if we are not careful Ireland could be a complete mess and I don't trust the f**kers in the Dáil or Dublin City Council to get it right. I don't mind immigration but we should certainly do it on our own terms and in a way thats beneficial for everyone. A lot of work in terms of providing amenities for people needs to be done especially teenagers as thats when it starts. From my experience the new Irish arent interested in sitting in the pub paying over the odds for shite beer and very few will know much about GAA.

Looking through the Meath yearbook at Christmas there are a good few lads on the underage teams from abroad. In a couple of years we will them in the minors. More power to them, we have a lot of work to do to get more of them involved as it would be very easy for them to head to the soccer clubs as its what they are more familiar with.

Not to veer the thread off course, but why the hell can't these people be allowed in catholic schools, which do the job of public, state schools in the south? Can the students not be excused from religion class or have their own arrangements made or, better still, isn't it about time that public schools got out of catholic religious instruction altogether?

As for the influx of different ethnicities into our games, I look forward to it.

ziggysego

Quote from: stephenite on February 26, 2010, 11:34:05 AM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 26, 2010, 09:02:53 AM
Quote from: stephenite on February 26, 2010, 12:50:27 AM
Mayo had a New Zealander long before Ricey came on the scene - Danny Culloty was from San Fran - I'm sure there's plenty more

Is McMenamin not Canadian?

Ziggy's point is that Tyrone were playing foreign types for years, just pointing that other counties were at it long before the Dromore came on the scene

My point was really that we don't consider the US, Canada or such countries as 'foreign' when it comes to playing here, but seem more likely to highlight someone from Poland, Romania or other Eastern European countries..
Testing Accessibility

lawnseed

i can see o'neills doing a range of pointy hoods with eyeholes in county and club colours ;) ;) :D why are you fellas tip toeing around this subject. the foreign kids are usally bigger, stronger and equally comitted. the thing is clubs are run by people who will want sport for their own kids first. how many native irish kids have went to clubs where they couldnt get on and simply were discriminated against but in a different way. its not always the best footballers who get on and we all know it. we here in the north have over a million prods/loyalists and we've failed to attract them for 125years, no point in back slapping just because a few foreigners turn up.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

armaghniac

QuoteNot to veer the thread off course, but why the hell can't these people be allowed in catholic schools, which do the job of public, state schools in the south?

The problem is that there are not enough schools, and the Catholic schools (and the Protestant ones!) start by admitting paid up members before offering places to others. Of course more schools could be built, but that would require planning.

QuoteMy point was really that we don't consider the US, Canada or such countries as 'foreign' when it comes to playing here, but seem more likely to highlight someone from Poland, Romania or other Eastern European countries..

Many people of US origin in Ireland are Irish a generation or or back, but the  US is a way more foreign place than Poland.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

screenexile

Quote from: Estimator on February 25, 2010, 10:41:34 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 25, 2010, 10:32:23 AM
Tyrone are way ahead of the game. We have a Canadian playing for the senior team.

Screen have a Canadian in their ranks as well

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

boojangles

Quote from: tyrone86 on February 25, 2010, 01:34:12 PM
Edendork/Killyman.

St Pats Cavan had a couple of lads of African descent playing on a side that won a Rannafast 3 or 4 years ago

Your rite Sir. One lad was of African descent the other was Irish/Iraqi and actually there was a third German lad on that team. 2003 if my memory serves me well.

BigMac

Thats a good memory boojangles. Kahlid, Ali and Lasse, would like to see the irish spelling of those names on the team sheet! I think it was 2003 all right. Wouldnt you have left Pats a couple of years before that though?

Feckitt

Just seen in today's Irish News, a lad called Arnus Dzinkevicius scored 4-1 for his school, St Joseph's Crossmaglen.
Great to see.