Derry v Tyrone - Celtic park Sun 22nd May

Started by tyroneman, April 25, 2016, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

This must be the "Drive to five" the Derry wans were talking about earlier in the season.

oakleaflad

Quote from: supersarsfields on May 17, 2016, 01:02:53 PM
This must be the "Drive to five" the Derry Tyrone wans were talking about earlier in the season.

JoG2

Quote from: God14 on May 17, 2016, 12:46:24 PM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on May 17, 2016, 11:33:54 AM
If (some would say when) Tyrone win that's 5 victories in a row this season, isn't it ?  Surely has to be some sort of record as most victories in the one season between them ?

5 defeats in one season? Theyd never live it down. It would be like the time we beat them with 13 men  ;D

Correction,  15 men! 

screenexile

Very strange the inferiority complex Tyrone supporters seem to have with regard to Derry... not strange actually very amusing!

We have possibly our worst team since the early 80s, and Tyrone have their best team since 2008 yet all any Tyrone man I speak to can say is "Aye but it's Celtic Park and it's Derry it's not going to be that simple".

My own opinion is that we'll do well to keep it within double figures. Don't get me wrong I love Derry and I wish the lads the best of luck and I'll eat humble pie should it happen but I just don't think we have the players to compete at the level Tyrone are currently operating at!

I hope I'm wrong!!

longballin

Quote from: screenexile on May 17, 2016, 02:14:57 PM
Very strange the inferiority complex Tyrone supporters seem to have with regard to Derry... not strange actually very amusing!

We have possibly our worst team since the early 80s, and Tyrone have their best team since 2008 yet all any Tyrone man I speak to can say is "Aye but it's Celtic Park and it's Derry it's not going to be that simple".

My own opinion is that we'll do well to keep it within double figures. Don't get me wrong I love Derry and I wish the lads the best of luck and I'll eat humble pie should it happen but I just don't think we have the players to compete at the level Tyrone are currently operating at!

I hope I'm wrong!!

This Tyrone team coming out of Division 2 may be a bit overhyped though. Through back door last year only decent team they met was Monaghan and rain was a leveler against Kerry... good enough but not as good as being made out in some quarters

J70

I hope I'm wrong!!

You ran us very close last year when, but for three or four unbelievable long distance scores from Murphy and McElhinney, you might have won. I know Tyrone have improved since then while we were on the downward slope, but double figures?? Derry can't have regressed THAT much?!

illdecide

Each set of fans will talk down their teams chances, so as a total neutral i expect Tyrone to win by 2pts. A 2pt win away to your rivals in the Championship is a good won (sorry Derry couldn't resist that) win and i'm certain all Tyrone wans (Sorry Tyrone couldn't resist that) would take that.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

screenexile

Quote from: J70 on May 17, 2016, 02:23:51 PM

I hope I'm wrong!!

You ran us very close last year when, but for three or four unbelievable long distance scores from Murphy and McElhinney, you might have won. I know Tyrone have improved since then while we were on the downward slope, but double figures?? Derry can't have regressed THAT much?!

From last year's team we're missing Dermot McBride, Kevin Johnston, Holly, Doherty (Our entire Midfield), Enda Lynn, Skinner, Cailean O'Boyle. . . The subs that came on against Donegal Benny Heron is out, Loughlin injured and O'Brien opted off the panel which is a lot to be missing from a team that didn't perform fantastically last year anyway!!!

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Tyrone will win the All Ireland but they have Monaghan's number and I would fancy them if they were to play Donegal again but Kerry, Dublin, Mayo would beat them on any day.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: screenexile on May 17, 2016, 03:18:19 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 17, 2016, 02:23:51 PM

I hope I'm wrong!!

From last year's team we're missing Dermot McBride, Kevin Johnston, Holly, Doherty (Our entire Midfield), Enda Lynn, Skinner, Cailean O'Boyle. . . The subs that came on against Donegal Benny Heron is out, Loughlin injured and O'Brien opted off the panel which is a lot to be missing from a team that didn't perform fantastically last year anyway!!!

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Tyrone will win the All Ireland but they have Monaghan's number and I would fancy them if they were to play Donegal again but Kerry, Dublin, Mayo would beat them on any day.

From what I've heard, McBride and Johnston are expected to be in contention as is Holly. What's up with Cailean O'Boyle?

You also have a number of players back this year that didn't take any real part in Championship last year - McKinless, Kielt, Emmet Bradley and a few others so less of the poor mouthing.

We'll give Mayo and Kerry their fill of it on any day, if we had taken our chances last year against Kerry and had key decisions been called correctly we would have beaten Kerry. Style wise we are all wrong for Kerry and given the age profiles of our squad and Kerry's one side is going on an upward curve and another is going on a downward curve.

Club Rossa

Screen, that inferiority complex you have regarding Tyrone is amusing.Quit your oul bluffing,you know rightly Derry are going to win this game.

Fuzzman

Derry have nothing to lose so will surely try to rough up our young team and see what they're made off.
If they let us play ball like Cavan did in the league final then Tyrone will win. I expect a rough and tumble game where Tyrone could suffer from having no more tough players left from yesteryear.

JoG2

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 17, 2016, 04:03:27 PM
Derry have nothing to lose so will surely try to rough up our young team and see what they're made off.
If they let us play ball like Cavan did in the league final then Tyrone will win. I expect a rough and tumble game where Tyrone could suffer from having no more tough players left from yesteryear.

we have a winner (with a very short memory) !

Redhand Santa

Hard to see this being anything but competitive and very physical despite the usual negativity from Derry supporters. Barton had the Derry players very fired up for Tyrone back in January so can only imagine what it'll be like for a home championship game.  Our record in celtic park also can't be ignored, always been a tough place for Tyrone to go. Having said that I'm hoping Tyrones extra bit of quality will carry us through provided the players keep their heads.

Can't see many changes from the league final. Mccurry may come in for Bradley and r Donnelly for Sludden. One other potential change could be Sludden to half back if justy out.

JoG2

Ye's are in rude health if Richie Donnelly doesn't make your first 15!

Onthe40

I'd have question marks over Richie's pace and ability to fit into mickeys system of run, run run..yes he's a big physical player and can kick a point but......