Derry v Tyrone - Celtic park Sun 22nd May

Started by tyroneman, April 25, 2016, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Quote from: tiempo on May 08, 2016, 11:02:54 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on May 07, 2016, 06:28:11 PM
Tyrone walked into Healy park as AI champions and got humiliated by an average Derry side. I would never take a win over Derry as a forgone conclusion.

Every chance we come out of Celtic park with tails between legs....again.

Mickey underestimated Derry that day, he butchered the team selection and I suppose the players thought they only had to turn up as they had the AI bagged only a few months earlier. Tyrone took a good beating but it was a considerably above average Derry team.

B Gillis; K McGuckin, K McCloy, F McEldowney; L Hinphey, P McFlynn, J O'Kane (0-01); J McBride (capt), J Diver; M Lynch, B McGoldrick, F Doherty; E Muldoon (1-03 (3f)), P Bradley (0-03 (1f)), E Bradley (0-01).

I know Hub getting sent off for trying to stand up for Mulgrew (who was getting bullied out of it)also  didn't help but we were still a better team than Derry that year.

JoG2

Quote from: tyroneman on May 09, 2016, 08:17:33 PM
Tyrone walked into Healy park as AI champions and got humiliated by an average Derry side. I would never take a win over Derry as a forgone conclusion.

Mickey underestimated Derry that day, he butchered the team selection and I suppose the players thought they only had to turn up as they had the AI bagged only a few months earlier. Tyrone took a good beating but it was a considerably above average Derry team.

B Gillis; K McGuckin, K McCloy, F McEldowney; L Hinphey, P McFlynn, J O'Kane (0-01); J McBride (capt), J Diver; M Lynch, B McGoldrick, F Doherty; E Muldoon (1-03 (3f)), P Bradley (0-03 (1f)), E Bradley (0-01).

I know Hub getting sent off for trying to stand up for Mulgrew (who was getting bullied out of it)also  didn't help but we were still a better team than Derry that year.

As the score line showed.   You boys have a 'take your oil'  bypass?!

tyroneman

Quote from: JoG2 on May 09, 2016, 09:10:58 PM

Actually, yeh, yr right. Poor v Louth then dumped out by Laois. We were very poor that year. Derry not that much better though exiting the next round in Ulster and then getting dumped by Longford in the qualifiers. But I take the point that ye were better than us in 06.

JoG2

Quote from: tyroneman on May 09, 2016, 09:41:10 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 09, 2016, 09:10:58 PM

Actually, yeh, yr right. Poor v Louth then dumped out by Laois. We were very poor that year. Derry not that much better though exiting the next round in Ulster and then getting dumped by Longford in the qualifiers. But I take the point that ye were better than us in 06.

Did you have to mention Longford?!  Jeez

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Pretty harsh verdict. Tyrone had massive injury problems that summer, the championship season was effectively a write off. Derry came with a game plan and a Tyrone side missing a few leaders didn't cope with it. Early red card didn't help matters.

I'm expecting a very tough game here. Tyrone are getting a lot of good press of late which is strange in itself in the context of media coverage of Tyrone the last few years. Like the negative coverage, some of this talk about Tyrone's progress is over the top. A lot to prove at this stage. Any kind of win in Celtic Park would be a good start.

Estimator

That's a nice little misdirection there.  I'm sure Hughes got sent off for giving Hinphey a punch in the
guts right in front of the linesman.
Ulster League Champions 2009

omaghjoe

Quote from: the_daddy on May 06, 2016, 09:27:03 AM
Quote from: screenexile on May 06, 2016, 09:16:06 AM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on May 03, 2016, 06:53:56 PM
24 years ago today since Plunkett called "My ball" as a 45 dropped into the Tyrone square.

Was a fine day!!! We played them in the Championship the week or two after and beat them easily again as well. Peter the 'great unless I'm marking McKeever' Canavan!

Christ, he was still Under 21 at that stage. The next couple of times he came up against McKeever in the championship would have been a fairer reflection.

Derry wans always had that notion about McKeever, so this must the match that they dreamed it up from, it seemed to persist despite Canavan taking McKeever to the cleaners on numerous occasions most notably 1995. Incidentally I came across this little gem from screenexile on that same match

Quote from: screenexile on November 11, 2008, 11:25:22 PM
Why anyone would want to watch that game is beyond me... what Tyrone did that day was a blight on the GAA and was the beginning of 'puke football' imo. An absolute joke. One lad came to play football and the rest to fcuk about. Thank God they were denied the most undeserved All Ireland of all time and I wasn't too unhappy to see Meath teach them a lesson the year after!

rrhf

That's a gem. Beautiful capture of a tortured mind, stored on the Internet for all time. Super!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: rrhf on May 11, 2016, 07:21:27 AM
That's a gem. Beautiful capture of a tortured mind, stored on the Internet for all time. Super!

I think someone who trawls back 8 years to find a post is a hell of a lot more tortured in my opinion.

shawshank

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 11, 2016, 09:55:13 AM
I think someone who trawls back 8 years to find a post is a hell of a lot more tortured in my opinion.

Pissed myself laughing reading that.
I remember being in Canavan's company one day when his brother Pascal took us a few years back, and he said that Mc Keever was easily the toughest opponent he ever played against

Club Rossa

Canavan scored 1-2 in the league final,0-8(3 from play)in the 95 semi final and also got a goal in Clones the following year.I think he may have scored a goal in the 95 league semi final,though I'm not sure on that.But there's no doubt that over the years McKeever was able to hold him very well.

Fuzzman

What did poor Justy do to warrant a response like this on the Derry Club thread?
For years a few of us have been saying how Justy and Joey are far too nice of lads to make good defenders and I've noticed a few years ago a change in Justy's attitude. His man marking against Murphy last year was amazing although not pretty to watch for the neutral. He's far from a dirty player and a total gentleman off the pitch.

Lowintothewind

Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #55306 on: May 10, 2016, 12:45:11 PM »
Going by the reports in yesterdays IN, I for one hope that Justin McMahon isn't playing against Derry. He looks to be one of the most antagonizing hoo** to set foot on a gaelic pitch with all his fist pumping, in your face bravado on turnovers etc... Oh how you would love to fill his face!!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 11, 2016, 11:36:22 AM
What did poor Justy do to warrant a response like this on the Derry Club thread?
For years a few of us have been saying how Justy and Joey are far too nice of lads to make good defenders and I've noticed a few years ago a change in Justy's attitude. His man marking against Murphy last year was amazing although not pretty to watch for the neutral. He's far from a dirty player and a total gentleman off the pitch[/b].

Lowintothewind

Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #55306 on: May 10, 2016, 12:45:11 PM »
Going by the reports in yesterdays IN, I for one hope that Justin McMahon isn't playing against Derry. He looks to be one of the most antagonizing hoo** to set foot on a gaelic pitch with all his fist pumping, in your face bravado on turnovers etc... Oh how you would love to fill his face!!

Jesus I hate reading dung like that!!

screenexile

Quote from: shawshank on May 11, 2016, 11:14:04 AM

I remember being in Canavan's company one day when his brother Pascal took us a few years back, and he said that Mc Keever was easily the toughest opponent he ever played against

I've yet to see anyone point out a fault in that statement...

I'm more worried about the fact I've been posting on here for over 8 years!!  :o :o

lenny

Quote from: screenexile on May 11, 2016, 12:26:07 PM
Quote from: shawshank on May 11, 2016, 11:14:04 AM

I've yet to see anyone point out a fault in that statement...

I'm more worried about the fact I've been posting on here for over 8 years!!  :o :o

What are the ticket options for this game? Do we have to get them through the club or can we buy in supervalu or shops like with the league? I know they're available online with a postal charge and that might be the easiest option.