Dublin

Started by ashman, April 24, 2016, 05:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hound on May 03, 2016, 04:22:05 PM
Quote from: Canalman on April 26, 2016, 09:23:34 AM
Quote from: angermanagement on April 25, 2016, 11:02:32 PM

One of the comments says several U14 Dublin club teams went to Portugal for a week warm weather training before feile. Surely that can't be true.

Nope. One team went after winning the Dublin Feile iirc. Funded it themselves. Not from one of the affluent areas of the city also.

Certainly eyebrows were raised, but afaik it was never done since or before. 

Was definitely frowned upon

I see Dublin are sending Division 1 champions (Castleknock) to National Feile Division 1 this year (along with the Dublin Div 2 and Div 3 champions going to play in lower divisions at National).

Last year we sent the Division 3 and 4 champions to National Feile, while the four Division 1 semi-finalists all played in smaller Regional tournaments - I think there were 6 or 8 Regional Feiles played.

So looks like there's a big change and we're back to having a genuine All Ireland National Feile, good in one sense, but apparently a lot trouble in prior years about how competitive this gets!

I remember hearing last year that Austin Stacks deliberately played Division 2 in Kerry so as to be able to go to National Feile as Kerry's representatives (the Division 1 Kerry champs only got to go to a Regional Feile), and Stacks went on to win the National Feile. Dunno if that has anything to do with the change this year and all the best teams going to Feile.

Kerry do the same with their Intermediate and Junior Grading hence their great success at AI level!

screenexile

Dublin Seniof Championship over for 16 Clubs before May... Club players getting a raw deal there!!!

From the Bunker

Quote from: screenexile on May 04, 2016, 12:07:28 AM
Dublin Seniof Championship over for 16 Clubs before May... Club players getting a raw deal there!!!

Is there not a 'Senior B' championship. All the teams that lost in the first round are placed within in competition which is run in parallel to the 'A' Championship.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 04, 2016, 04:46:39 AM

Is there not a 'Senior B' championship. All the teams that lost in the first round are placed within in competition which is run in parallel to the 'A' Championship.
There is, but it  carries no weight whatsoever.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Canalman

Relegation championship there as well to clarify minds for alot of clubs.

Farrandeelin

What teams won and lost anyway?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Beffs

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 04, 2016, 04:46:39 AM

There is, but no one really cares about it. When its is over, its over. The winner doesn't go anywhere in any other competition. They don't get to represent Dublin in Leinster or beyond.

I'd say Jim Gavin loves the straight knockout of their club championship. When the club season resumes after Dublin's intercounty season is done, only a handful of players will have any meaningful club games left to play. The majority of them will be done playing with their club for the year. They won't be likely to pick up any more injuries & they can get straight to work rehabbing any knocks they picked up over the summer. He makes out like a bandit.

Hound

Don't see anything wrong with knockout club championship in Dublin.

Nothing unfair about Lose and You're Out!

There is 15 rounds of league matches to play, and clubs can take that as seriously as they want. That gets played whether the county lads are around or not, so at least the club player has a good idea of when he has a match for most of the season.

In a year that the Dubs got to a league final and an All Ireland final, a round robin system for the club championship would be a complete and utter disaster, because the games wouldn't get played and everyone would blame the county board!

And anyway the last time we had a round robin system, there were a load of dead rubbers. The best championship games are knockout games. If the first round losers are crying, well they should be - that's why its championship!   

Ethan Tremblay

Forgive my ignorance but was there many league games/competitive club games played before the championship ties?
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Hound

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on May 04, 2016, 03:39:17 PM
Forgive my ignorance but was there many league games/competitive club games played before the championship ties?
In Dublin there has been 4 rounds of football league games (Feb 28, Mar 13, Apr 2, Apr 16) so far.
There are another 3 rounds of league matches fixed for May, so everyone will have played 7 league games by the end of this month.

There were cups games earlier in Feb that the majority of clubs take part in, but some opt out.

Ethan Tremblay

Ah right, thought it was strange that such a competitive championship would have been played this early, but by the sounds of things teams had enough matches to prepare for it!
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Beffs

The league & the championship are two different competitions. The league goes on all year around, regardless of whether the inter county players are available or not. The championship only takes place when the intercounty players are available...when the national league ends & when the Dubs get knocked out of the AI series.

screenexile

Very little coverage of O'Se's sc**bag comment on here.

He's at the aul cute hoorism I think as he's much smarter than to use 'sc**bag' when there are 10 others he could have used.

He's not wrong either if the Dubs need to get involved in the nastiness they're well able for it!!!

Declan

As Jim Gavin said last year -we don't pay too much attention to what the Kerry lads say ;)