Your earliest sporting memories?

Started by Boycey, April 23, 2016, 11:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Boycey on April 23, 2016, 07:50:01 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 23, 2016, 12:59:05 PM
Probably the 82 WC and Armstrongs goal and the whole buzz around about it. I had a World Cup jersey from Dunnes or Primark with the wee orange kicking a ball! Also had the Panini sticker album. I loved them and wished I'd kept them. Does anyone remember how the English teams had 1 player per sticker and the Scottish teams had 2! Talk about forcing the inferiority complex through stealth!

Were u cheering for NI? I certainly was as an innocent enough 13 year old. I'll also be keeping a wee eye on them this summer despite what some might think..

I did, my best friend at the time is big Pats nephew so we wanted to see them do well. I was only 7 so didn't know no different. Followed them closer in 86 though as I was a bit older and followed football more.

gallsman

Very, very, very hazy memory of Carl Lewis vs Mike Powell in Tokyo 1991. '93 hurling final and learning about DJ as well.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 23, 2016, 06:36:03 PM
Vivid memories of the 1974 drawn Ulster Final v Donegal. Vague memories of watching the 1970 World Cup Final.

A few years ago my Dad and myself had the pleasure of being in the company of the great Peter Rooney for an hour or so. Very enjoyable football chat took place and Peter discussed that match in particular, recounting how in his opinion a close mutual friend - Martin Slevin - was the man of the match that day.  :)

ziggy90

Birmingham v Man Utd around 1963. First Gaelic Football game Galway v Meath 1966 in Coventry. I'll never forget the size of Bosco McDermott's legs!!  :o :o
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

93-DY-SAM

Dennis Taylor winning the 85 World Snooker Championship. Thinking it was great to get staying up late to watch the final.

Orior

My Dad always watch the wrestling on a Saturday night, with men like Mick McManus.

I also remember heavy weight boxing and Cassius Clay at his best.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

T Fearon

The wrestling was on Saturday afternoon! I remember our Turfman arranged his weekly delivery so as he could watch it in our house

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on April 24, 2016, 09:37:54 PM
The wrestling was on Saturday afternoon! I remember our Turfman arranged his weekly delivery so as he could watch it in our house

Was it common in Armagh to have turf delivered weekly?
MWWSI 2017

Champion The Wonder Horse

All 1976
FA Cup final: Southampton 1-0 Man U
All-Ireland semi-final: Kerry 5-14 Derry 1-10
Montreal Olympics: Eamonn Coughlan's fourth place in 1,500m

Tony Baloney

Born 76. Can't really remember much before 1984. Hazy memories of France in the Euros but remember Carl Lewis in 84 Olympics like it was yesterday.

Milltown Row2

Ali's last few fights, obviously Barry's fights were big moments.... Armstrong's goal Utds Fa cup finals, Whiteside's goal... Gaa... Hmmmm 83/84 Ulster club final.... Leinster club hurling finals at Croker, getting passed through the turnstiles and remember getting stung by a bee in the Hogan stand... Wooden benches feck!!

Oh remember the first rules games, blood mental, Athletic Grounds??  A vocational schools hurling semi final, stuffed, big bro on team, I was still in primary school...ticker tape finals , was 6 can't recall the games
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

omaghjoe

Quote from: ziggysego on April 23, 2016, 04:05:51 PM
Watching Frank McGuigan put 11 pass Armagh in the 1984 Ulster Final.

I was only 4 at the time, so it's a rather hazy memory.  To be honest, I remember the sandwiches and flask of tea more than the actual match.

False memory ziggy but what a false memory

omaghjoe

I might mind Taylor winning the snooker in 85 but not sure
I think I remember Argentina win in Mexico in 86
I defo remember Tyrone v Kerry in 86
First match was the first round against Antrim in 87 in Omagh I think someone could verify

laoislad

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 25, 2016, 08:10:22 AM
I might mind Taylor winning the snooker in 85 but not sure
I think I remember Argentina win in Mexico in 86
I defo remember Tyrone v Kerry in 86
First match was the first round against Antrim in 87 in Omagh I think someone could verify
Why would you mind Taylor winning?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Billys Boots

1974 World Cup - to this day I remember being particularly impressed (for no reason I can remember) by a Yugoslav called Dragan Džajić, who hit the post in some game.  I spent days in the garden trying to hit the post with shots from everywhere.  I think I was more impressed by the paraphenalia - magazine stuff (Shoot! etc.) and player cards, than the football itself.  Scotland were the only 'locals' involved and I wasn't terribly impressed by them, even though there were 5 Super Leeds representatives on the squad.  Cruyff was there, obviously, and the rest is history. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...