Your earliest sporting memories?

Started by Boycey, April 23, 2016, 11:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

I suppose this depends on your vintage, I was born in '68... What are your earliest sporting memories?

I remember the World Cup Final of 1974 but nothing about it. Similiarly I have vague re-collection of being in Croke Park for All Ireland hurling final the same year but nothing about the game. The FA Cup Final in '76 and Dublin/Kerry from the same year are the first vivid memories I have of being actually interested in what was happening, I was sorely disappointed with both outcomes!!! I also remember in 76 there being great excitement about Eamon Coughlan hopefully getting a gold for Ireland in the Olympics in Montreal and the disappointment when he didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSw7xskxJZk

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

T Fearon

World Cup in 1966,Spurs and Celtic winning FA Cup and European Cup respectively in 1967.

seafoid

1979 hurling final on telly
Mother talking about Muhammad Ali
1980 hurling final in Croke Park
Aston Villa 1981

laoislad

Leinster Hurling Final 1985 Laois v Offaly. My Uncle was the Laois goalkeeper on the day.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Gold

Aldridge's 2 goals v Malta to qualify for Italia 90
Liverpool v Everton Cup Final --89?? 3-2
Vague memory of 1988 100m Olympic Final in Seoul with the controversy

Aged 7 Italia 90 is my first real memory, collected a sticker album for it and was so excited it was unreal. Remember Maradona doing keepy ups on his own when warming up prior to the Opening Game v Cameroon --remember the Cannagia Run (my mates still talk about someone going on a Cannagia run) and him being hacked down by 3 different wild Camereurvians! Remember being dragged to Curleys after and just wanting to get back to watching something World Cup related. I had a Maradona Puma Hand of God tracksuit and was obsessed. Remember Valderama, Higuita, Milla and nearly everything about it...it seemed to be sunny non stop that summer. I was gutted that W Germany won the final

Remember doing tumbles incessantly when we won the penalty shootout v Romania in my next door neighbours

Remember hating Packie Bonnar (wrongly of course) after Italy's goal in the QF. He didn't cover himself in glory 4 years later in the 2nd round v Holland either.

Absolutely class times
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

brokencrossbar1

Probably the 82 WC and Armstrongs goal and the whole buzz around about it. I had a World Cup jersey from Dunnes or Primark with the wee orange kicking a ball! Also had the Panini sticker album. I loved them and wished I'd kept them. Does anyone remember how the English teams had 1 player per sticker and the Scottish teams had 2! Talk about forcing the inferiority complex through stealth!

Rufus T Firefly

Watching the second leg of the 1971 Inter City Fairs Cup Final between Super Leeds and Juventus. I always recall the conversation in the (Primary 2) playground the next day was that Juventus had to score to win, which I was totally mystified by at the time. Only in subsequent years of course did I realise that the first leg in Italy had ended 2-2, so away goals was a factor.

In GAA, I remember being on my Dad's knee in the Hogan Stand at the 1971 All Ireland Final between Offaly and Galway and I have a very vague recollection of going to an Armagh Harps' game with my Sister and my Dad, each of us kids armed with a Caramac Bar - probably around 1969/70.

snoopdog

1983. Remember being in upper cusack for Down v Armagh in the league final.
Soccer was united v Brighton and Hove Albion in the fa cup final. That was the day I nailed my colours to the utd mast because they won the replay. Thank god Brighton didn't win.😀

ziggysego

Watching Frank McGuigan put 11 pass Armagh in the 1984 Ulster Final.

I was only 4 at the time, so it's a rather hazy memory.  To be honest, I remember the sandwiches and flask of tea more than the actual match.
Testing Accessibility

BennyCake

Appropriately the 1985 FA cup final, United v Everton. Moran's red card, Whiteside's winner and all that.

5 Sams

Vivid memories of the 1974 drawn Ulster Final v Donegal. Vague memories of watching the 1970 World Cup Final.
The Aristocrat Years

muppet

Sitting in McHale Park watching Mayo lose to Roscommon. Must have been 5 or 6.

Apparently I was more interested in the Rossie supporter beside us who was missing an ear.
MWWSI 2017

rrhf

ONeill

Vague memories of Armstrong v Spain in '82.

Vivid was Tyrone/Dublin '84 and the '84 FA Cup final Everton v Watford and an upset Elton John.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.