Your earliest sporting memories?

Started by Boycey, April 23, 2016, 11:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 23, 2016, 12:59:05 PM
Probably the 82 WC and Armstrongs goal and the whole buzz around about it. I had a World Cup jersey from Dunnes or Primark with the wee orange kicking a ball! Also had the Panini sticker album. I loved them and wished I'd kept them. Does anyone remember how the English teams had 1 player per sticker and the Scottish teams had 2! Talk about forcing the inferiority complex through stealth!

Were u cheering for NI? I certainly was as an innocent enough 13 year old. I'll also be keeping a wee eye on them this summer despite what some might think..

Newbridge Exile

Ticker tape and Mario Kempes- the 1978 World Cup final for me

StGallsGAA

QuoteWatching Frank McGuigan put 11 pass Armagh in the 1984 Ulster Final.

A defining moment for Armagh GAA.  The relative high of an AI final in 1977, despite the embarrassing record loss margin in a final, it was felt would drive the county on to Ulster dominance, an illusion which ended in 1984 when the entire Armagh back-line capitulated to one Tyrone man scoring 11 points at a swagger, putting Armagh football into a downward spiral of self-reflection for 15 years.  Many younger Armagh players and players who did not witness it still criticise that '84 team but those such as Joe Kernan and Brian McAlinden know and accept  that no Armagh past or present team could have coped with the legend that is Frank McGuigan on that fateful day!

thejuice

Born in 82.

Vaguely remember being in Croker for Meath vs Kerry in a league match on the 80's, not sure what year. Played in filthy weather but remember seeing the great Jack O'Shea in action.

1991 was really my first year of going to all the Meath games and properly following it. That is the stand out year for me, more than the wins in 87 and 88. The 4 games against Dublin became a tournament in their own right.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

magpie seanie

Born 1976. Have a memory of the closing ceremony of the 1980 Olympics. First sporting memory was Brazil being robbed by Italy in 1982. Not sure I actually saw the game but remember being upset by the result. Remember watching the 1983 FA Cup final and replay. And the dirty dozen/twelve apostles beating Galway that September.

The Subbie

Born '73, vague memory of the '79 Ulster Final, me Da and a heap of them all going to the final and the crack when Monaghan won, again vague memory of them getting hammered by Kerry in the Semi final but do clearly remember all the flags out , cars gong up the road all decked out.
82 WC Finals are a clear memory if only for me mother telling us that we didn't support the north , only for her to start roaring like a cut calf when Gerry Armstrong scores v Spain!!
The '84 Euros & '86 WC were the 1st proper full tournaments I followed, the Platini & Maradonna finals, class memories.

T Fearon

It is a pity Frank was anonymous against the Dubs in the AI semi final in 1984, a display which proved just how naive the Armagh defence was in that year's Ulster Final.

In truth Tyrone faced a mishmash of an Armagh team that year.The remnants of 1977,great players but past their sell by date,a young Ger Houlahan not yet at his prime but scored a goal that day,and John Corvan,sadly anonymous that day who came nowhere near fulfilling his enormous potential in a County Senior jersey.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on April 24, 2016, 07:18:59 AM
It is a pity Frank was anonymous against the Dubs in the AI semi final in 1984, a display which proved just how naive the Armagh defence was in that year's Ulster Final.

In truth Tyrone faced a mishmash of an Armagh team that year.The remnants of 1977,great players but past their sell by date,a young Ger Houlahan not yet at his prime but scored a goal that day,and John Corvan,sadly anonymous that day who came nowhere near fulfilling his enormous potential in a County Senior jersey.
1984 was in the middle of the troubles. Even with 15 Mc Guigans Tyrone would not have won Sam.

T Fearon

Funny.A mere two years later Tyrone had Sam but let him go,in the middle of the troubles still.

ashman

Kerry v Dublin 1978
Red rum grand nationals
Winning Aga Khan cups
Limerick beating Clare in 1979
Arsenal 79 cup final and 78 World Cup finals

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on April 24, 2016, 08:40:40 AM
Funny.A mere two years later Tyrone had Sam but let him go,in the middle of the troubles still.
How long did it take Joe ramhar to win Sam with that team? Say 4 years. Political chaos is all about instability. You can't reach the peak of sporting excellence when people are dying around you. What year was Aidan McAnespie shot?
Armagh 77 another great example. They left it behind them and never returned. Kerry picked up another few soft all Irelands over those years.

The Subbie

Quote from: seafoid on April 24, 2016, 08:53:36 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on April 24, 2016, 08:40:40 AM
[/quoteWhat year was Aidan McAnespie shot?

1988, Feb .

BennyHarp

Quote from: T Fearon on April 24, 2016, 07:18:59 AM

Frank scored 4 points that day!
That was never a square ball!!

magpie seanie

Fearon has history on this board regards Frank McGuigan. He has made some disgraceful comments about him so anything he would say about McGuigan needs to be viewed through that prism of bias bordering on hate.

T Fearon

Seafoid,thankfully people weren't dying all around us,or dodging bullets left right and centre.Life continued up here as normally as possible,and people achieved great things in all walks of life.The Armagh team in 1977 came from nowhere but sadly had to wait another three years to win another Ulster such was the competitiveness up here and the attitude (sadly lacking in other provinces) in Ulster which spurs rivals on on the basis that they believe "If they can do it so can we!"

How come so many underage titles came North during the troubles if they were a hindering factor?