Tyrone v Armagh

Started by illdecide, March 14, 2016, 10:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

Quote from: tyroneman on March 29, 2016, 10:33:29 AM
I would say Tyrone, without a marquee forward, are probably around Monaghan or Cork level. Capable of beating any other team on a good day with a bit of luck and everything woupd need to be clicking but would start as the underdogs in any match v Dublin, Donegal, Kerry and Mayo.

Would be great to win Ulster but would fear the Derry banana skin lying in wait at Celtic park and ultimately still think Donegal are a stronger team with more 'big game' match winners should we meet them.

I really don't think we will win another AI until we discover a true top quality forward, one that other counties would covet....a Brogan, Murphy, o'Shea, Connolly,  o' Donoghue type

I enjoy the banter on here but the truth is we are really a little too good for div 2 but might find it difficult to stay in Div 1

I agree but please do not tell anyone from Armagh that I agreed with a Tyrone man!

nrico2006

I would say Tyrone, without a marquee forward, are probably around Monaghan or Cork level. Capable of beating any other team on a good day with a bit of luck and everything would need to be clicking but would start as the underdogs in any match v Dublin, Donegal, Kerry and Mayo.

Would be great to win Ulster but would fear the Derry banana skin lying in wait at Celtic park and ultimately still think Donegal are a stronger team with more 'big game' match winners should we meet them.

I really don't think we will win another AI until we discover a true top quality forward; one that other counties would covet....a Brogan, Murphy, o'Shea, Connolly,  o'Donoghue type.

The truth is that we are really a little too good for Div 2 but might find it difficult to stay in Div 1. Well oiled defensively, as fit as anyone in Ireland, playing to a system that everyone buys into..... but without the killer forwards necessary to win Sam.

Has Lee Brennan the potential to be a marquee forward? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

redhandefender

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 29, 2016, 11:00:21 AM
I would say Tyrone, without a marquee forward, are probably around Monaghan or Cork level. Capable of beating any other team on a good day with a bit of luck and everything would need to be clicking but would start as the underdogs in any match v Dublin, Donegal, Kerry and Mayo.

I really don't think we will win another AI until we discover a true top quality forward; one that other counties would covet....a Brogan, Murphy, o'Shea, Connolly,  o'Donoghue type.

The truth is that we are really a little too good for Div 2 but might find it difficult to stay in Div 1. Well oiled defensively, as fit as anyone in Ireland, playing to a system that everyone buys into..... but without the killer forwards necessary to win Sam.

Has Lee Brennan the potential to be a marquee forward?

Without a doubt he does, 19 and imo will be starting for tyrone come championship

general_lee

If Tyrone had a Murphy or an O'Shea they'd be shoe-ins. They've pretty decent forwards already, but they'd need to all collectively play out of their skins on a regular basis to win Sam. Which is unlikely.

twohands!!!

Quote from: general_lee on March 29, 2016, 02:19:01 PM
If Tyrone had a Murphy or an O'Shea they'd be shoe-ins. They've pretty decent forwards already, but they'd need to all collectively play out of their skins on a regular basis to win Sam. Which is unlikely.

Looking at the odds for Player of the Year on Paddypower I think is very instructive in terms of where the various teams are and what the relative level of quality is in each county.

The first 4 players for Tyrone in the POTY betting are -

Mattie Donnelly is joint 9th at 25/1
Peter Harte is joint 32nd at 50/1
Sean Cavanagh is joint 46th at 100/1 as is Darren McCurry

As a comparison Dublin have 5 players at 25/1 or less.

The odds for the All-Stars tell a similar tale - Tyrone forwards are decent but not among the favourites for All-Stars.
In terms of Dublin there are actually 6 Dublin players at a shorter price for a full forward All-Star than the 2 Tyrone players with the joint lowest odds Darren McCurry & Sean Cavanagh at 10/1

BennyHarp

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 29, 2016, 03:11:12 PM

Looking at the odds for Player of the Year on Paddypower I think is very instructive in terms of where the various teams are and what the relative level of quality is in each county.

The odds for the All-Stars tell a similar tale - Tyrone forwards are decent but not among the favourites for All-Stars.
In terms of Dublin there are actually 6 Dublin players at a shorter price for a full forward All-Star than the 2 Tyrone players with the joint lowest odds Darren McCurry & Sean Cavanagh at 10/1

;D Feck me. Do you need Paddy Power to tell you who is a good player or not?
That was never a square ball!!

twohands!!!

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 29, 2016, 03:49:26 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on March 29, 2016, 03:11:12 PM

;D Feck me. Do you need Paddy Power to tell you who is a good player or not?

No its just another way of looking at the matter rather than being blinded by county loyalties.

tonto1888

we played well Saturday night and matched Tyrone. However, that does not make us on their level. We aren't. I was however disappointed with Tyrone's performance. That was the first Ive seen them this year and after reading about how well they've been playing I expected a lot more from them. Perhaps they played within themselves???

omagh_gael

IMO it's pointless trying to read anything into that game. Conditions taken in isolation destroyed the game as a 'spectacle' and the fact we were already promoted and Armagh are in a dogfight to avoid relegation further muddied the waters.

We are still the in the pack (alongside Cork and Roscommon) chasing the top four (Dublin, Kerry, Mayo and Donegal) and Armagh are, IMO, are fourth/fifth in line in Ulster (behind Donegal, Tyrone, Monaghan, Derry and Cavan).

Over the Bar

Whilst I agree with a lot of the points made about Tyrone lacking a marquee forward,  they didn't have one in 2008.  Mind you, when Brian McGuigan was supplying the ammo, he could make any forward look like the new Pele!

BennyHarp

Quote from: Over the Bar on March 30, 2016, 02:23:23 PM
Whilst I agree with a lot of the points made about Tyrone lacking a marquee forward,  they didn't have one in 2008.  Mind you, when Brian McGuigan was supplying the ammo, he could make any forward look like the new Pele!

Would footballer of the year that year Sean Cavanagh not have been in the marquee category that season?
That was never a square ball!!

BennyCake

He was only a second half sub in semi and final. He must've been one hell of a player to do that from the bench!  :P

tyroneman

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 30, 2016, 02:44:07 PM

Would footballer of the year that year Sean Cavanagh not have been in the marquee category that season?

Absolutely. Sean Cavanagh was sublime that year in his new role.