Cavan v Armagh

Started by bennydorano, March 01, 2016, 09:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

I normally will defend by county team in most situations but that is impossible tonight. I saw my first Armagh match in 1977 and that is the worst I can remember. Cavan played very well and McKeirnan is a great footballer. They should have won by more.

No matter how I feel about how the team and management performed I would never comment on our team manager, or any other teams, in the manner one poster has commented on McGeeney tonight. He has done more for Gaelic football in our county and in the association that most of us ever will. Weither he is a good manager or not or just does not have the players is up for debate. It does not need his character ridiculed.

ck

Quote from: Throw ball on March 05, 2016, 11:18:25 PM
I normally will defend by county team in most situations but that is impossible tonight. I saw my first Armagh match in 1977 and that is the worst I can remember. Cavan played very well and McKeirnan is a great footballer. They should have won by more.

No matter how I feel about how the team and management performed I would never comment on our team manager, or any other teams, in the manner one poster has commented on McGeeney tonight. He has done more for Gaelic football in our county and in the association that most of us ever will. Weither he is a good manager or not or just does not have the players is up for debate. It does not need his character ridiculed.

So he's untouchable? Above criticism?

Throw ball

Quote from: ck on March 05, 2016, 11:52:53 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on March 05, 2016, 11:18:25 PM

So he's untouchable? Above criticism?

I did not say that. I feel the comment was more like personal abuse.

Besides after tonight criticism is not needed. The result speaks for itself.

Armamike

Quote from: Itchy on March 05, 2016, 10:52:42 PM
Quote from: Armamike on March 05, 2016, 10:45:40 PM
Quote from: Itchy on March 05, 2016, 09:48:20 PM
I'd like to dedicate that hammering to McGeeney, one of the biggest bluffers in football. I don't hold that against him mind, there are lots of bluffers. However, I recall the day he lead Kildare out in Breffni years ago and that Kildare team hammered a poor Cavan team. With the game won he put Seanie on when it would have been better for all concerned if he had left him on the bench. The rest is history but that still hurts a lot of Cavan fans and I cant help but wonder if Seanie had remained an unused sub if his return might have been a lot easier.

I was sceptical about the return of Seanie, would he fit into modern football etc but I was delighted at his work rate, his off the ball running and his leadership today. A lot of people are still soar about the past but maybe looking at his efforts today tells me he wants to make amends.

Today was a good win but Armagh are awful, worst Armagh effort I have ever seen to be honest. Still Cavan can only beat whats in front of them.

You'd know a lot about bluffers.  You've some neck on you sitting on your arse at a keyboard calling somebody a bluffer who's achieved all in football that McGeeney has.

Suck it up. Good player, shite manager. I think everyone can see that now. I'll give you a pass tonight as your probably a bit sore after getting rode like that tonight. ;D

Good lad. Enjoy your win.
That's just, like your opinion man.

reddgnhand

Know ye well you whore from hell ye filthy Cavan B*_____

Fuzzman

Now noeew behave Rdgnhand.
Is it true Armagh and Down are thinking of amalgamating with a McCorry, Paddy o' Rourke management team already been tested on each side?

seafoid

Armagh and Meath are in a race to D3. Wouldn't it be gas if they made it one step lower into D4 allowing them to qualify for the B championship?

reddgnhand

OK Fuzzman but give the man some respect. McGeeney doesn't deserve that sort of nonsense.

Itchy

Quote from: reddgnhand on March 06, 2016, 05:33:54 AM
OK Fuzzman but give the man some respect. McGeeney doesn't deserve that sort of nonsense.

After his antics in Kildare he most certainly does.

seafoid

Armagh are in a bad way. Not unlinked to one team dominating club football. It is very hard for a manager to influence such a negative dynamic. And Ulster is so competitive. The problems didn't start last night. Underage results nothing to write home about either. The best KM could do would be to stabilise things. And Cavan are quite good too.

T Fearon

It is astonishing that Armagh were in the quarter finals of the AI Championship a mere 18 months ago,and were tipped last season to be serious Ulster contenders.The decline has been rapid.Did the likes of Aaron Kernan and Brian Mallon,and many more retire naturally or walk away due to unhappiness with the system and or manager? The debacle of last year's Ulster first round mauling to Donegal,during which the tactical deficiencies were exposed for all to see,spiralled this seemingly unarrestable decline,and if we return to Division 3 I fear we'll be there for a while.Something seriously wrong.

LCohen

no need for personal abuse of mcgeeney or anybody else for that matter.

But every need to question his management of this team. We dont sack manager's mid season so he is safe for the duration of this season. But in the absence of serious improvement it would genuinely a disgrace to see him in the role for next season. Results are auwful. Performances are awful. Our playing strength has weakened but both results and performances are below the standards that can be expected from this group of players. There is nothing in the performances that point to this being a work in progress that is moving in the right direction. What little joy we get in games comes from the individual talents of 3 or 4 players and even they are being undermined by McGeeney (starting McKenna in the corner must have made sense to McGeeney before the game but I doubt if even he could come up with a reason why he persevered with it hor the last hour of the game).

There is no doubt that we do not have a division 1 panel. There is no doubt that McGeeney was a great player. There is no doubt that he will be putting a serious effort into making Armagh a successful side. But is he good enough? For my money its a no. A very, very clear No.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: T Fearon on March 06, 2016, 11:55:08 AM
It is astonishing that Armagh were in the quarter finals of the AI Championship a mere 18 months ago,and were tipped last season to be serious Ulster contenders.The decline has been rapid.Did the likes of Aaron Kernan and Brian Mallon,and many more retire naturally or walk away due to unhappiness with the system and or manager? The debacle of last year's Ulster first round mauling to Donegal,during which the tactical deficiencies were exposed for all to see,spiralled this seemingly unarrestable decline,and if we return to Division 3 I fear we'll be there for a while.Something seriously wrong.

And you questioned why Jamie walked?  The county has wasted the last 10 years through mismanagement of teams and other matters.  We had 2 AI winning under age teams,  nicely spread in terms of developing one into the other with the u21s in 2004 and the minors in 2009.  Outside of that in the same period of time we won 8 Ulster clubs and 3 AIs.  We never built on what Joe did and made the wrong managerial appointments.  Blame Cross, blame Geezer, blame whoever you want but the issues run deeper than that.  There is a malaise in the club scene which has resulted in a feed-in to the county squad of inferior players or players afraid to do what is natural to them for fear of criticism from the management.  The county has to make brave decisions as we currently have a few groups of very good players coming through from 15-19 years old.  They won't change mid-season and I would not expect them to but I would do a full audit of where the £600k is going and ask the question what is best?  By that stage Tony will have had a year at inter county level coaching a top team and I would get him and Oisin in and give them free reign to change things up. 

Orior

Quote from: T Fearon on March 05, 2016, 11:11:25 PM
Armagh started off like a house on fire and led three nil after 4 minutes but when Cavan scored a scrappy goal a few minutes it seemed to signal a surrender for the entire Armagh team?

I have not been one iota impressed in the four games so far by any of the new lads,if we hadn't had Campbell tonight we would have seriously risked a no score return.

I do remember getting a tanking one day in Breffni in  the league in big Joe's time but unlike tonight you knew that was a blip

Obviously our win against Fermanagh was a blip.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

T Fearon

BC I am not disagreeing with you.In my view,not one of the 2009 minor panel has been a real success at senior level.The astonishing thing is the lack of fight or resilience,for the first five minutes last night we were playing like the Dubs and raced into a three point lead but when Cavan scored a scrappy goal the players seemed to throw in the towel immediately.