From the North,who would you vote for in free state general election?

Started by T Fearon, February 23, 2016, 09:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Did Gerry Adams not give evidence against his brother to see him put behind bars?

Rossfan

Quote from: haranguerer on February 25, 2016, 05:34:37 PM
Adams will rightly be remembered as one of the greatest political leaders this island has seen.
A bit of an exaggeration there to say the least ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: AQMP on February 25, 2016, 09:14:04 PM
Was it not the Unionist opposition, loyalist violence and intimidation, and the UWC strike that led to the collapse of Sunningdale??

Yes, but the IRA was going at the time as well. If Republicans had rowed into the agreement and told the British to get on with it, the British might have stood up to the loyalists.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

haranguerer

Quote from: armaghniac on February 25, 2016, 11:49:49 PM
Was it not the Unionist opposition, loyalist violence and intimidation, and the UWC strike that led to the collapse of Sunningdale??

Yes, but the IRA was going at the time as well. If Republicans had rowed into the agreement and told the British to get on with it, the British might have stood up to the loyalists.

;D That is utter shite.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Rossfan on February 24, 2016, 05:48:24 PM
Obviously the Maria Cahill and other similar cover ups have been airbrushed from SF lackeydom.
I'm not a SF lackey, but Ms Cahill appeared content at one stage to allow the IRA to deal with her abusers and later was associated with dissidents so her airing of the abuse she suffered must be view in this context. That in no way excuses it and it should have been reported at the time to the police. However the community from which she comes would not have had any faith in the RUC, something that seems strangely beyond the comprehension of some in the South of this country. Just as tawdry as the provisional movements original handling of the abuse was the opportunistic way in which parties in the South used it as a political stick to beat SF.

AQMP

This has to go down as one of the classic posts on the board.  Seriously, what feckin planet are you on??

Saffrongael

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 26, 2016, 09:14:57 AM
Obviously the Maria Cahill and other similar cover ups have been airbrushed from SF lackeydom.
I'm not a SF lackey, but Ms Cahill appeared content at one stage to allow the IRA to deal with her abusers and later was associated with dissidents so her airing of the abuse she suffered must be view in this context. That in no way excuses it and it should have been reported at the time to the police. However the community from which she comes would not have had any faith in the RUC, something that seems strangely beyond the comprehension of some in the South of this country. Just as tawdry as the provisional movements original handling of the abuse was the opportunistic way in which parties in the South used it as a political stick to beat SF.

It's called politics
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Applesisapples

Quote from: Saffrongael on February 26, 2016, 10:40:35 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on February 26, 2016, 09:14:57 AM

It's called politics
No it is beyond politics when it uses someone else's misery or plight.

armaghniac

Quote from: AQMP on February 26, 2016, 09:32:49 AM

This has to go down as one of the classic posts on the board.  Seriously, what feckin planet are you on??

Alternative histories are matters of opinion. I said that Adams had opposed Sunningdale and then fought for 20 years to get much the same thing. This remains true whatever you think would have happened if he had supported Sunningdale.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

deiseach

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 26, 2016, 11:03:50 AM

Gee, I can't imagine why SF would like that to be true.

(PS I don't think you are a Shinner lackey.)

Rossfan

Quote from: deiseach on February 26, 2016, 11:16:04 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on February 26, 2016, 11:03:50 AM

Gee, I can't imagine why SF would like that to be true.

(PS I don't think you are a Shinner lackey.)
As Seamus Brennan I think it was said to the Greens in the negotiations to for a Government in 2007 -
" Ye're playin senior hurlin now lads"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

haranguerer

Quote from: armaghniac on February 26, 2016, 11:10:53 AM
Quote from: AQMP on February 26, 2016, 09:32:49 AM

Alternative histories are matters of opinion. I said that Adams had opposed Sunningdale and then fought for 20 years to get much the same thing. This remains true whatever you think would have happened if he had supported Sunningdale.

No, you said he'd be remembered as the man who overthrew the sunningdale agreement.  ;D

You'd do well not to parrot Mallons bitter ramblings

deiseach

I've always thought Seamus Mallon was having a dig at Unionism. That is certainly a better application of the term than to the Provos whose opinion on Sunningdale carried no weight whatsoever.

haranguerer

I agree with you on both counts.

His sunningdale quote would nonetheless seem likely to have been armaghniacs inspiration for his speak