From the North,who would you vote for in free state general election?

Started by T Fearon, February 23, 2016, 09:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on February 24, 2016, 01:36:40 AM
You can advocate a particular type of tax and vote for a party you agree with. If your party doesn't win then you get something different, that is called democracy. Not paying is simple freeloading.
Depends on how many  of the other costs of the meltdown were dropped on them. Class sizes were increased, medical charges upped, social welfare benefits reduced. Working poor and unemployed took a lot of hits and water wouldn't match them cost wise.
Fair play to them for sticking 2 fingers up to the narrative of success.

AQMP

I have to admit the badness in me might vote for the Shinners just to annoy Official Ireland, RTE and IN.  But in reality at the moment I'd probably vote for some single issue local independent who might ensure that the pothole at the bottom of the road might be filled in at some stage before 2021.

Hereiam

Can people in the south not just vote for the shinners for the craic and see how it goes. Sure they country is being run from Brussels anyway. Would really put the shits up the loyalist & unionist politicians up here in the wee six.

OakleafCounty

I'd normally align myself with any labour movement but the Irish Labour party are in bad shape. PBP are for opposition only, they couldn't govern shit. The Shinners seem to have better people in the South than North but they need to replace Gerry as leader. Fianna Fail are scum and Fine Gael are too far to the right for me but seem to have the best group of competent people. So like I intend to do here in the north, I would vote Independent or Green.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: trileacman on February 23, 2016, 11:05:55 PM
Fine Gael.

Think Fianna Fáil ruined the country with a property bubble as plain as the nose on your face.
Independents have some nice ideas but they'll hold no power and only lead to a more fractured dail.
Labour are useless, I personally hate Eamon Gilmore and his ilk.
Sinn Fein are plowing the same populist shite Fianna Fáil sold the south, cut your tax, fix the hse, no water charges, no property tax, golden roads for all etc. Oh and we'll not go to government with any party so we can make all the f**king promises we Like and never have to keep them.

Exclude Enda for a moment and there's a solid bunch of people around that top table at fg now that shatter and Reilly are ousted. Noonan, Coveney, Fitzgerald and Varadkar are all reasonably sound politicians, in the grand sample of Irish politicians it's about  as good as you'd get. And look at the international alternatives, you could be voting for the likes of Cameron, trump, Jeb bush, hilary, merkel, osbourne, Nesbit, foster, abbot or tspras. None of whom or their parties I'd vote for in a fit.

In the ideal world we'd be ruled by a cabinet of jfk, John Hume, Tony Ryan and Gandhi. That's not reality though and you take the best of what you can get.

Noonan a sound politician?

The guy is mired in corruption, incompetence, arrogance and cronyism.

What planet are you living on and how sheltered are you to his past.

Leader of Fine Gael when they evaded tax for 9 years.
Point blank refused to investigate child sex abuse allegations.
The Hep C scandal.

He is a heinous individual.

ciaraa

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 24, 2016, 10:47:27 AM
Fine Gael.

Think Fianna Fáil ruined the country with a property bubble as plain as the nose on your face.
Independents have some nice ideas but they'll hold no power and only lead to a more fractured dail.
Sinn Fein are plowing the same populist shite Fianna Fáil sold the south, cut your tax, fix the hse, no water charges, no property tax, golden roads for all etc. Oh and we'll not go to government with any party so we can make all the f**king promises we Like and never have to keep them.

Exclude Enda for a moment and there's a solid bunch of people around that top table at fg now that shatter and Reilly are ousted. Noonan, Coveney, Fitzgerald and Varadkar are all reasonably sound politicians, in the grand sample of Irish politicians it's about  as good as you'd get. And look at the international alternatives, you could be voting for the likes of Cameron, trump, Jeb bush, hilary, merkel, osbourne, Nesbit, foster, abbot or tspras. None of whom or their parties I'd vote for in a fit.

In the ideal world we'd be ruled by a cabinet of jfk, John Hume, Tony Ryan and Gandhi. That's not reality though and you take the best of what you can get.

The Hep C scandal.

Not nearly strong enough. Noonan is a traitor to humanity.

armaghniac

Quote from: AQMP on February 24, 2016, 09:38:47 AM
I have to admit the badness in me might vote for the Shinners just to annoy Official Ireland, RTE and IN.  But in reality at the moment I'd probably vote for some single issue local independent who might ensure that the pothole at the bottom of the road might be filled in at some stage before 2021.

This is all very fine, but an election is to elect a government and governments are not as powerless as some people claim. Electing a crowd of loolahs as an "up yours" gesture is dangerous, it is OK to make such points on a discussion board but but this is not reality.

QuoteNot nearly strong enough. Noonan is a traitor to humanity.

I heard he was going to invade Poland.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

I'm just mildly surprised someone would admit that they would vote Fine Gael.

I'd probably give SF or the Greens my first preference.

foxcommander

Noonan, Coveney, Fitzgerald and Varadkar are all reasonably sound politicians,

Frances Fitzgerald? Seriously?

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

trileacman

Fine Gael.

The Hep C scandal.

Gassed the syrians too.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: trileacman on February 24, 2016, 01:55:51 PM
Fine Gael.

The Hep C scandal.

Gassed the syrians too.

You think a chap who has had scandals follow him around like a bad smell in every senior political position he has held is a sound politician. Throughout his career he has shown nothing but contempt for the Irish people.

Feckitt

People before Profit are the only other All-Ireland party in the entire country.  So for me it would be SF 1, PBP 2

armaghniac

Quote from: Feckitt on February 24, 2016, 02:41:26 PM
People before Profit are the only other All-Ireland party in the entire country.  So for me it would be SF 1, PBP 2

While they may be All Ireland parties, these parties are a threat to the hope of a United Ireland becuase the obstacle to a UI is economic and an inability to fund public services and these exacerbate that problem because their entire concern is taking money off one set of people to give it to their supporters rather than improving the country for all.

PBP are also complete frauds, Boyd Barrett claimed €12000 in expenses in one year for his car for going from Dun Laoghaire to the Dail. Any credible left wing politician or Green would have gone on the bus or DART. I ran my car for 5 years for €12,000!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

When is this Free State election? Are you confusing it with the election in the republic?