Donegal v Mayo NFL 2016

Started by Farrandeelin, February 22, 2016, 09:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beffs

Yeah, it does for about 30 seconds and, then everyone just gets on with it. It usually only involves the players who were in the immediate vicinity, when the penalty was awarded. I can't remember the last game where an entire team held up a peno being taken for a good 5 minutes, because they were so intent on trying to bully & intimidate the ref and the penalty taker. There is no need for it. Donegal are too good a team and, they are playing much too well, to have to resort to all that hard man shyte. They're not Armagh FFS !  ::)

Il Bomber Destro

Donegal are a tough, physical team who give it out as good as they get it.

Less need for the hysterics here. Mayo had five or six attempts at decapitating the two McHughs yesterday but little has been made of that.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: J70 on February 29, 2016, 08:28:04 PM
Quote from: Syferus on February 29, 2016, 07:58:25 PM
Quote from: StephenC on February 29, 2016, 07:41:50 PM
Quote from: Syferus on February 29, 2016, 07:16:20 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 29, 2016, 07:07:20 PM
Yes, I said myself yesterday they should have left it alone and got on with it.

But spare us the sanctimony. Its not as if Mayo haven't, on other occasions, been involved in that type of stuff when frustration boils over and tensions are high. It happens in the heat of the moment, and once it breaks out, everyone in seems to be the protocol, which obviously makes it very hard for a referee to police and sort out under the current rules.

In fairness I'm thinking of things like the obvious targeting of Johnny Doyle before throw-in against Kildare in 2011. Donegal want to be physical and intimating but they seem a team that have married that trait in their head to playing well - that the more borderline they get, the better they think they play. I'll be interested to see how our young bucks cope with the afters in a few weeks.

Johnny Doyle was never targeted. There was an accidental collision with Michael Hegarty as they both went for the ball.

Give out about Eamon McGee's stamp on the Mayo lad in 2013 or about the feigning of injury to get Connolly sent off in 2011. There's no need to make stuff up if you want to have a pop.

It wasn't accidental.

Says who?

Michael Hegarty was about the least thuggish player to ever don an inter county jersey.

+1

Hegarty was a class act both on and off the pitch, one of the classiest players of his generation.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on February 29, 2016, 06:28:38 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 29, 2016, 05:32:08 PM
Fair enough StephenC. A note to self not to post directly after Mayo lose again ;D I still think they shouldn't have ganged up on DOC like that though.

You've nothing to apologise for. It was scummy, and far from the worst instance of Donegal gamesmanship the past five years.

Were you ashamed of your county's gamesmanship against Kerry a number of weeks ago?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 29, 2016, 09:27:03 PM
Fair enough StephenC. A note to self not to post directly after Mayo lose again ;D I still think they shouldn't have ganged up on DOC like that though.

You've nothing to apologise for. It was scummy, and far from the worst instance of Donegal gamesmanship the past five years.

Were you ashamed of your county's gamesmanship against Kerry a number of weeks ago?
Learning from Tyrone, or some other Ulster team etc etc
Happy?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 29, 2016, 09:28:12 PM

Learning from Tyrone, or some other Ulster team etc etc
Happy?

That's not the question.

Ye've all been on here crying your crocodile tears when you lose a game about the indiscretions of others but when the shoe is on the other foot the duplicity in the moral outrage is shown up for what it is.

Tyrone have had many good tough battles against Donegal in the past few years, we've came out the wrong side of them for the most part and I have never had any complaints with the way they've conducted themselves (with the exception of Bonner in an underage game last year).

On the other hands we've smashed Roscommon a number of times in the past few years and all you get from this is the usual hand wringing and mud slinging. They have shown a complete lack of class and I think it says even more about them with omerta on the underhand tactics, cynicism and dirt they were up to down in Kerry a number of weeks ago when closing out the game.

The two faces of Roscommon football.

Farrandeelin

There's a Roscommon thread for all things Roscommon. ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

larryin89

Thats harsh on the Rossies and I'm no lover let me tell ya but they are a lovely team to watch in this years league so far ,exhibition stuff . All top teams have a level of cynicism , it's a matter of necessity to compete , Tyrone ,Kerry and Donegal are the most street smart imo.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

BluestackBoy

As a Donegal man I have to say that I was disappointed & annoyed at the stupid stuff  that went on yesterday over the penalty.

1. It wasn't wide. The Mayo players feet were over the line but the ball wasn't.

2. Once the penalty was given then that should have been that. I have never seen a referee change a decision because of whinging.

3. What the hell Hugh McFadden thought he was doing is beyond me. If he put as much effort into improving his basic skills he would be a lot better off.

In mitigation I would say that Donegal were well up for this game & wanted to redeem themselves after last year. They weren't willing to come off second best in this game but went over the top in this instance.

I also think that the referee could have made a real difference with the much maligned black card being produced. I thought abusing officials was a black card offence. We could also learn a lot from rugby where only the team captain is allowed to speak to the referee.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

J70

Quote from: Beffs on February 29, 2016, 09:13:35 PM
Yeah, it does for about 30 seconds and, then everyone just gets on with it. It usually only involves the players who were in the immediate vicinity, when the penalty was awarded. I can't remember the last game where an entire team held up a peno being taken for a good 5 minutes, because they were so intent on trying to bully & intimidate the ref and the penalty taker. There is no need for it. Donegal are too good a team and, they are playing much too well, to have to resort to all that hard man shyte. They're not Armagh FFS !  ::)

I'm not questioning whether they went too far. I absolutely think they did. And yeah, you're probably right with the first bit.

Just think they need to set down proper rules to deal with it, and make it clear what is acceptable and what's not and where the line lies.

Because nothing ever comes out it, so teams think its ok to push the envelope.

moysider

It's early days yet and while Donegal are flying now the shenanigans around the peno wont go unnoticed by other referees who have their cards well marked by this. Too early in the year to be getting het up like that. While it galvanised Donegal for the win yesterday it might mean they get little slack later on when it really matters.

They were as well to accept the call by the umpire - who was in a better position to judge than anybody else. Feet across the line does not mean ball across the line. A lot of supporters don t accept that and a lot of players don t know that either.

I suspect that the umpire got the call right as well.

Rudi

I did, but you being the all things negative Tymoanie that you are didn't even acknowledge the post. 2 people never reflect the opinion of a whole county. Don't tar us all with the same brush. By the way the current Ros management have us playing an extremely positive brand of attacking football, none of the blanket shite and this without 7 would be starters.

rosnarun

Equally big an influence was the failure of the ref to give donal Vaughan a free just before the Donegal Goal.
Mayo just took it and moved on . I would have been disgusted had they surrounded the ref to intimidate him like Donegal did for the penalty .
Frustrating as it is at the time the Ref sometime screws and some itmes makes mistakes In your favor you  but feck all can be done about it.
Over the course of a league these incidents  shouldn't make much Difference
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

muppet

Quote from: StephenC on February 29, 2016, 07:38:11 PM

No bother. I've been quite disappointed with our general discipline this year. Too much arguing and complaining about everything. In this instance I think the lads were very frustrated with a wide not being called (I've watched it back and it's pretty clear it was wide) but what did all the messing about afterwards gain us? A couple of cards is all.

DOC dealt with these things in the only way you can. He was very cool with both penalties.

On a more general note, there's an issue with mentors being constantly on the field IMO. There's also a worrying trend of them getting involved with opposition players. There was a Mayo buck stuck in the middle of that shennigans and I've seen our own mentors getting too close to the action as well. Keep the whole lot of the off the field completely I reckon.

I was at a couple of U-8s games at the weekend and this seems to be a big problem even at that age-group. You see teams with mentors shouting instructions at every player and for every piece of action, all while standing 1/3 of the way onto the small pitch. They keep shouting for their players to spread out and and to keep in their zones, all while ignoring their own zone and crowding the kids such that all the play gets bunched up on one side of the pitch.
MWWSI 2017