Donegal v Mayo NFL 2016

Started by Farrandeelin, February 22, 2016, 09:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Fair enough StephenC. A note to self not to post directly after Mayo lose again ;D I still think they shouldn't have ganged up on DOC like that though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jinxy

Quote from: Hound on February 29, 2016, 03:31:06 PM
Excellent entertainment and great effort put in by both teams.

Division 1 in the league is a great competition when taken seriously.

Agreed.
There can be a bit of faffing about for the first couple of games but when the ground firms up and the sun comes out, it's the most consistently high quality football you'll see all year.
Teams play with a lot more freedom but they still play to win.
Has to be a way of combining this with the provincial system in some format.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 29, 2016, 05:32:08 PM
Fair enough StephenC. A note to self not to post directly after Mayo lose again ;D I still think they shouldn't have ganged up on DOC like that though.

You've nothing to apologise for. It was scummy, and far from the worst instance of Donegal gamesmanship the past five years.

Rudi

Quote from: Syferus on February 29, 2016, 06:28:38 PM

You've nothing to apologise for. It was scummy, and far from the worst instance of Donegal gamesmanship the past five years.

Plus 1. Even Donegal supporters are getting pissed off with their antics. Pity cause they have some of the best players in the country and are building a team well capable of winning another All Ireland.

J70

Yes, I said myself yesterday they should have left it alone and got on with it.

But spare us the sanctimony. Its not as if Mayo haven't, on other occasions, been involved in that type of stuff when frustration boils over and tensions are high. It happens in the heat of the moment, and once it breaks out, everyone in seems to be the protocol, which obviously makes it very hard for a referee to police and sort out under the current rules.

Syferus

Quote from: J70 on February 29, 2016, 07:07:20 PM

But spare us the sanctimony. Its not as if Mayo haven't, on other occasions, been involved in that type of stuff when frustration boils over and tensions are high. It happens in the heat of the moment, and once it breaks out, everyone in seems to be the protocol, which obviously makes it very hard for a referee to police and sort out under the current rules.

In fairness I'm thinking of things like the obvious targeting of Johnny Doyle before throw-in against Kildare in 2011. Donegal want to be physical and intimating but they seem a team that have married that trait in their head to playing well - that the more borderline they get, the better they think they play. I'll be interested to see how our young bucks cope with the afters in a few weeks.

Beffs

Quote from: J70 on February 29, 2016, 04:58:11 PM
Quote from: Beffs on February 29, 2016, 04:42:30 PM
Their attempts to bully the ref were even worse. No problem at all with players arguing their case to a ref, if they feel they've been hard done by with a penalty decision. But that was intimidation pure and simple & cards should have been shown. If frees are being moved up, because players are mouthing off to refs, I'm amazed that all that shyte went unpunished.

Er... cards WERE shown.

I meant for their treatment of the ref and officials in particular, not for the handbags that went on with the Mayo players, before, during and after the penos.

StephenC

No bother. I've been quite disappointed with our general discipline this year. Too much arguing and complaining about everything. In this instance I think the lads were very frustrated with a wide not being called (I've watched it back and it's pretty clear it was wide) but what did all the messing about afterwards gain us? A couple of cards is all.

DOC dealt with these things in the only way you can. He was very cool with both penalties.

On a more general note, there's an issue with mentors being constantly on the field IMO. There's also a worrying trend of them getting involved with opposition players. There was a Mayo buck stuck in the middle of that shennigans and I've seen our own mentors getting too close to the action as well. Keep the whole lot of the off the field completely I reckon.

StephenC

Quote from: Syferus on February 29, 2016, 07:16:20 PM

In fairness I'm thinking of things like the obvious targeting of Johnny Doyle before throw-in against Kildare in 2011. Donegal want to be physical and intimating but they seem a team that have married that trait in their head to playing well - that the more borderline they get, the better they think they play. I'll be interested to see how our young bucks cope with the afters in a few weeks.

Johnny Doyle was never targeted. There was an accidental collision with Michael Hegarty as they both went for the ball.

Give out about Eamon McGee's stamp on the Mayo lad in 2013 or about the feigning of injury to get Connolly sent off in 2011. There's no need to make stuff up if you want to have a pop.

Syferus

Quote from: StephenC on February 29, 2016, 07:41:50 PM

Johnny Doyle was never targeted. There was an accidental collision with Michael Hegarty as they both went for the ball.

Give out about Eamon McGee's stamp on the Mayo lad in 2013 or about the feigning of injury to get Connolly sent off in 2011. There's no need to make stuff up if you want to have a pop.

It wasn't accidental.

J70

Quote from: Syferus on February 29, 2016, 07:58:25 PM
Quote from: StephenC on February 29, 2016, 07:41:50 PM

It wasn't accidental.

Says who?

Michael Hegarty was about the least thuggish player to ever don an inter county jersey.

J70

Quote from: Beffs on February 29, 2016, 07:24:54 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 29, 2016, 04:58:11 PM
Quote from: Beffs on February 29, 2016, 04:42:30 PM
Their attempts to bully the ref were even worse. No problem at all with players arguing their case to a ref, if they feel they've been hard done by with a penalty decision. But that was intimidation pure and simple & cards should have been shown. If frees are being moved up, because players are mouthing off to refs, I'm amazed that all that shyte went unpunished.

Er... cards WERE shown.

I meant for their treatment of the ref and officials in particular, not for the handbags that went on with the Mayo players, before, during and after the penos.

Fair enough. I don't like it either. BUT, it's fairly standard behaviour these days across the board.

Beffs

No it's not. Arguing your case/disputing a penalty decision is one thing. All teams do that. What Donegal did crossed the line.

StephenC

Quote from: Beffs on February 29, 2016, 08:33:29 PM
No it's not. Arguing your case/disputing a penalty decision is one thing. All teams do that. What Donegal did crossed the line.

No it was the ball that had crossed the end-line.

J70

Quote from: Beffs on February 29, 2016, 08:33:29 PM

Where's the line?

I'd have no problem with punishments being dished out, but surrounding refs, mouthing off, pushing and shoving happen all the time.