Be advised my passport's green...the Board and British passports

Started by deiseach, February 22, 2016, 02:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you eligible for, and in possession of, a British passport?

Yes
21 (31.3%)
No
46 (68.7%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Voting closed: February 27, 2016, 02:06:58 PM

bennydorano

Only ever had a British one, wife & 3 kids all have Irish ones. I dont see the issue to be honest, i'm secure in my own identity.

T Fearon

Irish passport holder,but previously held a British one which I needed in a hurry and was easier to obtain back in the day

J70

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 22, 2016, 02:46:00 PM
As my parents were both Irish citizens prior to 1948 I think that I'm entitled to a British passport, but I've never had one.

Is that true?

Had no idea.

Eamonnca1

ardchieftain

Irish passport. Getting a brit one never even entered my head to be honest.

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: J70 on February 22, 2016, 06:13:48 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on February 22, 2016, 02:46:00 PM
As my parents were both Irish citizens prior to 1948 I think that I'm entitled to a British passport, but I've never had one.

Is that true?

Had no idea.

Not true.

Birth in what's now the Republic of Ireland before 1922 was not sufficient in itself to confer citizenship of the UK and Colonies. Persons born in the Republic of Ireland before 1949 became Citizens of the United Kingdom and Colonies by descent in British law on 1 January 1949 if they had a father born in the United Kingdom or a place that was a colony at that date (provided father was married to the person's mother)

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: T Fearon on February 22, 2016, 06:06:59 PM
Irish passport holder,but previously held a British one which I needed in a hurry and was easier to obtain back in the day

Why do you have an Irish passport when you don't see yourself as Irish?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Newbridge Exile

Each to their own but I have always had ( and always will have ) an Irish one ,

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: Rossfan on February 22, 2016, 08:22:13 PM
Because he can't get a " Northern Irish" one perhaps? :)

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland passports are definitely still on the go

Tony Baloney

British. Anyone who makes a big deal of their passport falls into the same bucket as fleggers as far as I'm concerned.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

leenie

Both ..

Came in handy back in the day when one wanted to travel across the pond.
As it previously said I too am secure with my identity so it doesn't bother me.
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

The Iceman

I did not know it was possible to hold passports form 3 countries. I thought 2 was the maximum?
I only have an Irish passport. I know lads who were illegal in the US used to have both to go back and forward and avoid losing the Irish one or getting stamped for 10 years.
I don't even think I'll ever get America citizenship - greencard will do me rightly... kids will have Irish passports eventually but right now it isn't important.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

ONeill

Used to have a British one then I realised I wasn't a true Gael and was letting myself and my family down and wasn't going to free Ireland with one of those. Also, I was born a Catholic and that also made me ashamed to have one as most Brits are Prods and most Irish are Catholics so I was being a turncoat etc so I got an Irish one and now I feel I might free Ireland and can hold my head high as a true Catholic-born Irishman and that's important especially when money is tight and the health is wavering.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.