All Ireland Club SFC Semi-finals Feb 2016

Started by general_lee, February 10, 2016, 05:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: armaghniac on March 18, 2016, 07:12:42 PM
Quote from: Zulu on March 18, 2016, 05:39:55 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 18, 2016, 01:07:58 PM
Heard a great idea from Woolly on Newstalk. Basically, Any transferred player who plays for a Dublin Club can play in the Dublin Championship but should not be allowed to play in the Leinster and All Ireland Series proper. This could also carry outside Dublin as well.

Why is that a great idea and what is it's purpose, sounds daft to me unless I'm missing something?

The other teams in the All Ireland Series are basically made up of people brought up in a parish, or part of a parish, with one or two who moved in. The Dublin teams could be League of Nations of people who arrived to the club in the previous year. Hardly a level playing field.

Cuts out the farce of a situation that was Paul Durcan in this final. Not from Ballydoden, Not from Dublin, Not Living in Dublin. Plus it encourages Clubs to blood their own.

INDIANA

Heard a great idea from Woolly on Newstalk. Basically, Any transferred player who plays for a Dublin Club can play in the Dublin Championship but should not be allowed to play in the Leinster and All Ireland Series proper. This could also carry outside Dublin as well.

Ironic coming from a guy who milked the system for all it's worth in Dublin

Parkinson commenting on the ills of outside players in Dublin Clubs is not something to be taken seriously considering his own track record there.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: INDIANA on March 18, 2016, 07:52:16 PM

In fairness I think he would be the first to admit that himself.

INDIANA

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 18, 2016, 07:59:22 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 18, 2016, 07:52:16 PM

In fairness I think he would be the first to admit that himself.

Then he has no business talking about it considering the state of the club now that he was playing for.

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 18, 2016, 07:22:38 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 18, 2016, 07:12:42 PM
Quote from: Zulu on March 18, 2016, 05:39:55 PM

Why is that a great idea and what is it's purpose, sounds daft to me unless I'm missing something?

The other teams in the All Ireland Series are basically made up of people brought up in a parish, or part of a parish, with one or two who moved in. The Dublin teams could be League of Nations of people who arrived to the club in the previous year. Hardly a level playing field.

Cuts out the farce of a situation that was Paul Durcan in this final. Not from Ballydoden, Not from Dublin, Not Living in Dublin. Plus it encourages Clubs to blood their own.

Ok, but why is it a good idea to allow them play in the Dublin championship and not beyond? If I'm a good young footballer from Mayo working in Dublin that rule might make me less attractive to St. Vincents or Kilmacud who would feel they've a good chance of winning Dublin but it doesn't mean another lesser light won't want me and if I join and 5 years later we are good enough to win Dublin all of a sudden I can't play in Leinster because I'm from Mayo even though I've played for 5 years with the club and joined simply because returning home each weekend became too much for me.

We can't implement half baked ideas like that as it would cause as many problems as it would solve. The Dublin club scene is a tough one, many Dublin clubs would prefer to see less outsiders I'm sure but many non-Dubs are there for work and make a life for themselves there so joining a local club makes sense in many ways. There probably needs to be a quota system put in place but a robust, workable solution could be difficult to find.

Beffs

Parkinson freely admits that he played the system for all it was worth, during his own playing days. Said he was interested in nothing but himself and not "the state of the game." Now that he is older and wiser, he does think about the long term health of the club scene, in ways he didn't when he was playing. Fair dues to him for admitting that.

However, he has had to witness his own club (Portlaoise) routinely getting beaten by clubs from Dublin in the Leinster championship. I wonder does that have anything to do with his now seeing the light, all of a sudden?  ::)

Jinxy

Quote from: Syferus on March 18, 2016, 02:26:47 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 18, 2016, 02:15:39 AM
Quote from: Canalman on March 17, 2016, 09:37:10 PM
Keep saying it, the burden of favouritism just buries Connacht teams in big games for some reason.

Connacht is made up of 5 counties. Galway sides actually have a very good record in All-Ireland finals in general between all the age grades and including club. Just saying. Totted it up there a couple of years ago and it was quite ridiculous.

Brigids did it against impossible odds three years ago. Castlebar not doing it shouldn't be a stain on Connacht's record. The whole point of Connacht is to never admit defeat. Connacht teams have had to beat the odds for all of history. Unity is Connacht's strength.

God Save Connacht.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on March 18, 2016, 09:03:34 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 18, 2016, 02:26:47 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 18, 2016, 02:15:39 AM
Quote from: Canalman on March 17, 2016, 09:37:10 PM
Keep saying it, the burden of favouritism just buries Connacht teams in big games for some reason.

Connacht is made up of 5 counties. Galway sides actually have a very good record in All-Ireland finals in general between all the age grades and including club. Just saying. Totted it up there a couple of years ago and it was quite ridiculous.

Brigids did it against impossible odds three years ago. Castlebar not doing it shouldn't be a stain on Connacht's record. The whole point of Connacht is to never admit defeat. Connacht teams have had to beat the odds for all of history. Unity is Connacht's strength.

God Save Connacht.

Thanks Mr. Tayto.

Taylor

Sympathy for the genuine lad working & living in Dublin and wanting to play ball but the mercenary clubs and players need halted.
Young players tossed by the wayside because a big name can be 'signed'.

Will only end one way when the Andy & Sam roll of honours are dominate by the €ubs

Aaron Boone

Drove past Boden today on way to Supervalu Knocklyon. The council pitches across the road make it look like a county team's Centre of Excellence.

Beffs

It's only going to end if and when the DCB decide to call a halt to all this carry on. They can't realistically stop transfers, but they can stop the big inter county stars from always going to the same handful of big clubs. The will to do something just doesn't seem to be there. I don't get that. The Dubs will have to find a replacement for Cluxton sooner or later. Find him and blood him in big games. Playing for the winning AI club champions is a great way to do that.

Durcan taking the jersey off an a Dublin born goal keeping prospect, stunts his prospects, as well Dublin's long term success at find replacements for their current stars. The  other 31 counties don't give shit about Dublin's long term future, but you'd think that the DCB do !

armaghniac

Every club everywhere should be required to define an area with 5-6000 Irish citizens and should be allowed 2 transfers per annum from outside this.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

INDIANA

Quote from: Beffs on March 18, 2016, 10:49:46 PM
It's only going to end if and when the DCB decide to call a halt to all this carry on. They can't realistically stop transfers, but they can stop the big inter county stars from always going to the same handful of big clubs. The will to do something just doesn't seem to be there. I don't get that. The Dubs will have to find a replacement for Cluxton sooner or later. Find him and blood him in big games. Playing for the winning AI club champions is a great way to do that.

Durcan taking the jersey off an a Dublin born goal keeping prospect, stunts his prospects, as well Dublin's long term success at find replacements for their current stars. The  other 31 counties don't give shit about Dublin's long term future, but you'd think that the DCB do !

They can't. Dublin are governed by the same transfer laws as every other GAA County. Bye laws have no jurisdiction effectively since the formation of the DRA. You can have them but the DRA will find a way round them.
In order to get some order on this the GAA have to treat transfers to Dublin differently then every other county and only the Central Council can implement such a rule.

moysider

It's complicated I suppose.
But Ireland is a small country and is getting smaller as roads are getting better. I don't get it that lads from Mayo etc. have to transfer to Dublin clubs. 30 years ago when Dublin was an hour more distant, my brother trained with a Dublin team but made the journey home for games. I managed a team locally where lads organised their leave (guards and the like) to be around for most games.
I can understand where some lads from small rural junior clubs decided to join a Dublin club to better themselves. In Mayo we should have regional teams like Kerry have where the better junior players can develop but that is not going to happen. I can understand junior players making that decision to step up when they move to the city.
It looks like though, that outsiders that make the big Dublin club teams are already established intercounty players. 
I wasn t aware that Parkinson played in Dublin. Always assumed he was a Portlaoise player. How does a player justify move from Portlaoise to Dublin. It's not the stagecoach era. That's ridiculous.

Beffs

Quote from: INDIANA on March 18, 2016, 11:11:56 PM
They can't. Dublin are governed by the same transfer laws as every other GAA County. Bye laws have no jurisdiction effectively since the formation of the DRA. You can have them but the DRA will find a way round them.
In order to get some order on this the GAA have to treat transfers to Dublin differently then every other county and only the Central Council can implement such a rule.

I know all that. But there is nothing to stop the DCB from bringing a motion up at Congress, to petition for having more control over their own transfer process. They are in a unique situation, so the same transfer rules shouldn't necessarily apply to them, as the other 31 counties.

There is always that pesky 2/3 majority to get over. However, the Black Card and Mark motions passed, without too much of a fight, once there was enough will on the floor to "sell" the ideas to delegates. There is nothing to stop the DCB from doing the same thing. There just doesn't seem to be the will there to do anything about it.