All Ireland Club SFC Semi-finals Feb 2016

Started by general_lee, February 10, 2016, 05:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Canalman on March 17, 2016, 09:37:10 PM
Keep saying it, the burden of favouritism just buries Connacht teams in big games for some reason.

Connacht is made up of 5 counties. Galway sides actually have a very good record in All-Ireland finals in general between all the age grades and including club. Just saying. Totted it up there a couple of years ago and it was quite ridiculous.

Off the top of my head I think Galway teams have contested 12 All-Ireland football finals between senior, U-21, minor and senior club over the past 20 years and won 11 of them. Think the senior team losing to Kerry in 2000 (after a replay) has been the only final a Galway side has lost. Unless I'm mistaken.

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 18, 2016, 02:15:39 AM
Keep saying it, the burden of favouritism just buries Connacht teams in big games for some reason.

Connacht is made up of 5 counties. Galway sides actually have a very good record in All-Ireland finals in general between all the age grades and including club. Just saying. Totted it up there a couple of years ago and it was quite ridiculous.

Brigids did it against impossible odds three years ago. Castlebar not doing it shouldn't be a stain on Connacht's record. The whole point of Connacht is to never admit defeat. Connacht teams have had to beat the odds for all of history. Unity is Connacht's strength.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on March 18, 2016, 02:26:47 AM

Brigids did it against impossible odds three years ago. Castlebar not doing it shouldn't be a stain on Connacht's record. The whole point of Connacht is to never admit defeat. Connacht teams have had to beat the odds for all of history. Unity is Connacht's strength.

Nice story. What has it got to do with the burden of favouritism though?

larryin89

The reason they lost was the ghost of Padraig pearse was pissed off with all the diluting of republicanism led by the weasel blueshirt Kenny . He had his name in the hurling and his school in the football win to remind people of the rising was about  the rebels  not fu c ing Redmond and co . Take it down from the mast.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

bennydorano

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 18, 2016, 04:44:20 AM
Quote from: Syferus on March 18, 2016, 02:26:47 AM

Nice story. What has it got to do with the burden of favouritism though?
Gin

Canalman

Off the top of my head I think Galway teams have contested 12 All-Ireland football finals between senior, U-21, minor and senior club over the past 20 years and won 11 of them. Think the senior team losing to Kerry in 2000 (after a replay) has been the only final a Galway side has lost. Unless I'm mistaken.

Missing my point. Galway football teams have been underdogs for many of those final wins. Off the top of my head they were not fancied to win the 2 senior finals, the u21 game final v Dublin, the Corofin one v Erins Isles and no doubt some others I am not aware of.

My point is not a dig at Connacht, just saying favouritism for some reason rests heavily on the shoulders of alot (by no means all) Connacht  teams in finals. Club and underage Galway hurlers a big exception.

square_ball

Quote from: J70 on March 18, 2016, 01:57:00 AM

And how many lads would fly all the back from Qatar, repeatedly, like Durcan did?

Just out of interest who would be covering the cost of those flights? Durcan himself or the club? Be serious dough.

Gael85

Quote from: square_ball on March 18, 2016, 09:59:15 AM
Quote from: J70 on March 18, 2016, 01:57:00 AM

And how many lads would fly all the back from Qatar, repeatedly, like Durcan did?

Just out of interest who would be covering the cost of those flights? Durcan himself or the club? Be serious dough.

The flights were covered by club. Money is no issue in that club.A lot wealthy people involved there.

Gael85

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on March 17, 2016, 09:36:06 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on March 17, 2016, 06:00:01 PMRelated to this I would ask if today's win will mean as much to Paul Durkin as it will to the player who has been there from under 8? Would it have meant more to Durkin if he had won with his hometown club?

I have heard something about one of the local Ballyboden players actually getting into a serious fight with Durcan over him taking up a potentially more deserving players place in the team. It was well hushed up before this game.

Not at all surprised at the Mayo boys' collapse. Crossmaglen would have given boden a much better game.

I don't agree with Durkan transfer but he saved Boden against Portlaoise so doubt players would have issue with him. Surely if players had issue with Durkan it would be with management team for picking him?

From the Bunker

Heard a great idea from Woolly on Newstalk. Basically, Any transferred player who plays for a Dublin Club can play in the Dublin Championship but should not be allowed to play in the Leinster and All Ireland Series proper. This could also carry outside Dublin as well.

rrhf

A simple and lovely rule would be that a player who transfers from a club or county cannot play against the team he transferred from ever in any situation.  Now that SJ came back to Cavan and fair play to all involved  what a pity he played against them at the time. 

Conallach

Haha, but that takes away my last aim to play against an old club in the Comórtas Peile!

They're both decent suggestions, although I'd be reluctant to try and implement Wooly's without some support from the county in question.

AZOffaly

Na Piarsaigh and St. Enda's. Padraig must have been smiling down last night.

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 18, 2016, 01:07:58 PM
Heard a great idea from Woolly on Newstalk. Basically, Any transferred player who plays for a Dublin Club can play in the Dublin Championship but should not be allowed to play in the Leinster and All Ireland Series proper. This could also carry outside Dublin as well.

Why is that a great idea and what is it's purpose, sounds daft to me unless I'm missing something?

armaghniac

Quote from: Zulu on March 18, 2016, 05:39:55 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 18, 2016, 01:07:58 PM

Why is that a great idea and what is it's purpose, sounds daft to me unless I'm missing something?

The other teams in the All Ireland Series are basically made up of people brought up in a parish, or part of a parish, with one or two who moved in. The Dublin teams could be League of Nations of people who arrived to the club in the previous year. Hardly a level playing field.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B