The Official 2016 Irish General Election thread

Started by deiseach, February 03, 2016, 11:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Was Joan Burton a school teacher before she went into the Dáil? She looks and acts so much like a school teacher. One of those old style, really, really annoying school teachers. She has a voice like a klaxxon.

Boycey

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 16, 2016, 10:45:41 AM
Was Joan Burton a school teacher before she went into the Dáil? She looks and acts so much like a school teacher. One of those old style, really, really annoying school teachers. She has a voice like a klaxxon.

I think some said on here last week that she lectured them for 2 years, so a college lecturer rather than a teacher? same difference...

armaghniac

As noted by Shamrock Shore previously, she was an accounting lecturer in DIT.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mikehunt

Quote from: ashman on February 16, 2016, 12:42:51 AM
Loads of soundbites and big talk .

A bit self critical but you're not far off the mark.

ashman

Quote from: mikehunt on February 16, 2016, 02:53:00 PM
Quote from: ashman on February 16, 2016, 12:42:51 AM
Loads of soundbites and big talk .

A bit self critical but you're not far off the mark.

Self critism is an importance step in the pursuit of excellence .

AZOffaly

Just looking at the projections et al, I don't know how there can be any sort of meaningful coalition. If FG get roughly 56-58, they'd nearly need another 30 with them, and Labour are not going to get near that. Fianna Fail and Sinn Fein would perhaps be in that ballpark, but I can't see FG going in with either of them, and I can't see FF and SF having enough to even rely on the Healy Raes and Mattie McGrath types.

You might see something like FG + Labour + Renua + a lock of independents. I certainly can't see FG and Labour attracting too many AAA or left wing independents.

How about this as a dark horse. Fianna Fail/Labour/Sinn Fein?

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 16, 2016, 04:26:57 PM
Just looking at the projections et al, I don't know how there can be any sort of meaningful coalition. If FG get roughly 56-58, they'd nearly need another 30 with them, and Labour are not going to get near that. Fianna Fail and Sinn Fein would perhaps be in that ballpark, but I can't see FG going in with either of them, and I can't see FF and SF having enough to even rely on the Healy Raes and Mattie McGrath types.

You might see something like FG + Labour + Renua + a lock of independents. I certainly can't see FG and Labour attracting too many AAA or left wing independents.

FG SF

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on February 16, 2016, 04:50:42 PM

FG SF

I can't see that. They do genuinely seem to hate each other.

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: armaghniac on February 16, 2016, 10:52:19 AM

As noted by Shamrock Shore previously, she was an accounting lecturer in DIT.

Yes - she lectured me in Accounting in The College of Commerce in Rathmines in 1986 and 1987. It was a dreadful experience.

Maguire01

No chance. SF expected to get more seats than Labour, giving them the position of Tanaiste. There's nothing for Labour in that scenario. If Labour aren't number 2 in the government, they'll go into opposition.

Rossfan

Will the "Coping classes" rally to the Govt candidates at the end of the day to avoid instability or a SF/ loonytoons combination?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

foxcommander

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 16, 2016, 04:52:02 PM

FG SF

SF want to tax anyone earning more than a Labour voters wage to death. That would be FG's target voter (they used to be in FF territory too), whether that voter is willing this time to vote FG or not is another issue.

Nonetheless, FG and SF are completely incompatible unless Jurry sells out wholesale.

As for FG and FF, why not? All it takes is for Micheál to be removed and there is very little of the toxic old party left in FF. FF might want a few old heads gone in FG too, which mightn't be the worst thing to ever happen the country.

What can't happen is a left leaning coalition of scrap all taxes and austerity for everyone (of their voters) and pay for everything by taxing 'the rich' (i.e. the tax paying workers who currently pay for almost everything). But this is still a real possibility. If it does happen hopefully it won't last long and it collapses under the weight of its impossible promises quickly.

MWWSI 2017

Hound

Quote from: muppet on February 16, 2016, 06:49:46 PM

What can't happen is a left leaning coalition of scrap all taxes and austerity for everyone (of their voters) and pay for everything by taxing 'the rich' (i.e. the tax paying workers who currently pay for almost everything). But this is still a real possibility. If it does happen hopefully it won't last long and it collapses under the weight of its impossible promises quickly.

Boyd Barrett said last night we can get €4 billion by making companies pay 12.5% instead of the 2.5%-6% tax they are paying!
There is a feckin eejit in one of the universities who spouts this nonsense and gets loads of airtime because the media love putting the country down, and people believe him

No doubt MNCs are avoiding tax - but its not Irish tax!

One of the best ideas I heard is to leave all taxes, welfare and public sector pay as it is. Then work on using the recovery to fix Health and Education and increase Employment. When that's done then we can start thinking about what to do with excess exchequer funds.

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on February 16, 2016, 06:49:46 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 16, 2016, 04:52:02 PM

FG SF

SF want to tax anyone earning more than a Labour voters wage to death. That would be FG's target voter (they used to be in FF territory too), whether that voter is willing this time to vote FG or not is another issue.

Nonetheless, FG and SF are completely incompatible unless Jurry sells out wholesale.

As for FG and FF, why not? All it takes is for Micheál to be removed and there is very little of the toxic old party left in FF. FF might want a few old heads gone in FG too, which mightn't be the worst thing to ever happen the country.

According to Dev Og yesterday FF voters won't go near FG. I think FF could be swallowed up
FG SF with a deal on Irish water
If SF can lie with the DUP FG will be a doddle