Kerry v Roscommon NFL D1 - 7/2/16 [Live 2pm TG4]

Started by Syferus, February 01, 2016, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: larryin89 on February 07, 2016, 04:19:06 PM
Good performance by Roscommon , deserving winners and announced their arrival too. 10-3 for Connacht still , won't be available much longer surely .
Plamas.Mayo are still the team to beat

seafoid

It is very encouraging to see Ros and Galway improving. The higher the overall standard in Connacht the higher the chance of an all ireland. If Ros got to a final I suspect they would be more ruthless than Mayo. A Ros all Ireland would be magnificent.

Ryano

Quote from: Shrewdness on February 08, 2016, 12:50:32 AM
How has this thread descended into a row with the Tyrone posters?

The ignore option sorted out the one man "row" for me...

seafoid

Ros should beat Down. After yesterday maybe they can take Cork as well

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Ryano on February 08, 2016, 08:51:51 AM
Quote from: Shrewdness on February 08, 2016, 12:50:32 AM
How has this thread descended into a row with the Tyrone posters?

The ignore option sorted out the one man "row" for me...

Why should we ignore the indiscretions of Roscommon when a lot of them have been enacting Screaming Mary routines when certain other counties engage in the same.

It seems the mask has most certainly slipped in the Roscommon interpretation of the virtues of the game.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: mjg on February 08, 2016, 09:53:22 AM
Get a life you idiot

Now, now.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. We wouldn't want to be setting a precedent of double standards here.

Canalman

Late to the thread. The amount of steps taken for the Kerry goal was beyond laughable. Double digits .

Rudi

As a Rossie, I would not be mad about the way we closed out the game. Ronan Daly and Purcell in particular over did it. In fairness to the Kerry lads I am surprised none of them are complaining. On the day we were about 5 points the better team, the ref made loads of mistakes for both teams, but most decisions were hard on Ros. The goal was barraging for a start and I counted 11 steps. Great to get a win, however Kerry were poor on the day.

seafoid

Quote from: Canalman on February 08, 2016, 10:23:28 AM
Late to the thread. The amount of steps taken for the Kerry goal was beyond laughable. Double digits .
part of the winning mentality. Like unnoticed Kilkenny digs with the back of the hurl.
all means to attack and distract

Main Street

The Irish Times  must have some "true grit" award of the week.
Last week they headlined   "Monaghan show true grit in Kiltoom",
this week it was the turn of
"Roscommon show true grit to beat Kerry in Killarney"

Btw, Laois only showed "grit" to squeeze past Armagh.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Deserved win for Ros yesterday. Very impressed with their attitude, physicality and toughness. In Enda Smith, Cathal Cregg and Niall Daly they had the 3 best players on the field in my view. Some of Cregg's scores were marvellous in those conditions. Cian Connolly and Murtagh got great scores also.
Conditions were unbelievably bad and TV can never convey this fully. There was a bit of niggle in the game and it was obvious Ros saw this as "laying down a marker time", but I've no problem with most of their approach. Too often league games are like challenge games in their intensity, but they will have gained and learned a lot from that game due to its intensity.
I DO have an issue with at least 1 instance of "simulation" by Neil Collins, where after receiving minimal contact from Darran Sullivan he threw himself down quite theatrically. It was right in front of the stand and clear as day. Most of the rest of the "handbags" stuff occured on the far side so didn't see it clearly yet. Donnacha Walsh was lucky to not get red when he raised his hand at Fintan Cregg (who had given him a clip round the ear). Barry John Keane should have got a black card for a high tackle. Stephen O'Brien took 10 steps for his goal and got away with it somehow. The ref was awful really and I hate blaming refs for anything as it's often a cop out. Standard of refereeing is poor right now though and Fergal Kelly certainly didn't impress me yesterday.

Anyway, better team won, early days yet but Kerry have a lot of work to do.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Rossfan

Thanks Ciarrai.
Jasus but that was a great result yesterday.
Excellent performances all round but mixed with some sh1te.
Mind you it's great credit to all the players yesterday in the most awful conditions.
Now for a bit of realism - Kerry poor yesterday and missed some scores at crucial times. They won't be missing them from March on.
Still it's great to be mixing it in D1 and we can now start thinking of staying there.
I'm not going trawling back through the thread to see what's bothering a few Tymoanies.
Get on with Division 2 ye lot.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on February 08, 2016, 03:18:18 PM
Deserved win for Ros yesterday. Very impressed with their attitude, physicality and toughness. In Enda Smith, Cathal Cregg and Niall Daly they had the 3 best players on the field in my view. Some of Cregg's scores were marvellous in those conditions. Cian Connolly and Murtagh got great scores also.
Conditions were unbelievably bad and TV can never convey this fully. There was a bit of niggle in the game and it was obvious Ros saw this as "laying down a marker time", but I've no problem with most of their approach. Too often league games are like challenge games in their intensity, but they will have gained and learned a lot from that game due to its intensity.
I DO have an issue with at least 1 instance of "simulation" by Neil Collins, where after receiving minimal contact from Darran Sullivan he threw himself down quite theatrically. It was right in front of the stand and clear as day. Most of the rest of the "handbags" stuff occured on the far side so didn't see it clearly yet. Donnacha Walsh was lucky to not get red when he raised his hand at Fintan Cregg (who had given him a clip round the ear). Barry John Keane should have got a black card for a high tackle. Stephen O'Brien took 10 steps for his goal and got away with it somehow. The ref was awful really and I hate blaming refs for anything as it's often a cop out. Standard of refereeing is poor right now though and Fergal Kelly certainly didn't impress me yesterday.

Anyway, better team won, early days yet but Kerry have a lot of work to do.

Do you have a problem with young Darran going down like he was shot when Cregg barely touched him for the black card 'offence' too? That also happened in front of you at the stand side and was the biggest attempt at a job in my eyes yesterday. Purcell tried to put a dangerous headlock on a Kerry player near the end of the match. He had the right idea of slowing down the play by any means necessary but his execution left a lot to be desired. That would be the only thing I saw that I'd have any real problem with from us.

Problem wasn't just the standard of refereeing, it was how all the big calls went Kerry's way. It was frankly ridiculous to watch. Even at his best Marty Duffy would struggle to be that one-sided.

Shrewdness

Fair play Ciarrai, excellent, fair and balanced post from you.