The Official Roscommon Thread

Started by Shrewdness, November 30, 2015, 01:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

Lar, describing rowdy Ros supporters as `` agricultural `` is unfortunate, as the agricultural
community (which includes yours truly), are the finest people you could meet anywhere. But
I think I know what you meant.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Shrewdness on December 07, 2015, 05:48:11 PM
Lar, describing rowdy Ros supporters as `` agricultural `` is unfortunate, as the agricultural
community (which includes yours truly), are the finest people you could meet anywhere. But
I think I know what you meant.
You are right; there was no intention to insult farmers. I come from a small farm in East Mayo where there were at times more dinner times than dinners and devil the harm it did me. I was just, subconsciously perhaps, repeating the term used by TK when speaking to me and I think he had a definite incident in mind when he said that.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

sligoman2

Shrewdness could you please change the title of this thread to the Roscommon v Mayo bullshit thread

Thanks

Slow season I suppose
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 07, 2015, 10:24:32 AM
Quote from: Shrewdness on December 07, 2015, 07:55:55 AM
Lar, O'Connor wouldn't score the goal that Enda Smith scored in Cavan. A solo effort from just inside the Cavan half. A hugely talented young player, and a big player of the future.

We are not comparing like with like.No doubt Smith is talented  but would he step out onto the pitch in Croke Park, in front of 85,000 spectators and give a MOTM display?   
Not only that, would he turn up for the next game and repeated his performance?   Prior to his displays in the semi, he had a couple of very good games in the earlier championship games so he didn't get his YPOTY award because he hit it lucky in any particular game.     
Furthermore, he won the mayoggablog poll for POTY comfortably. Here he was in contention with AOS, Lee Keegan and the likes. I mean his achievements have been judged by others and he has come up trumps.
I'm not knocking Smith but he's a long, long way to go before we'll be able to judge his true worth. 
Ross v Cavan in Breffni Park isn't quite the same as Ross v Dublin in front of a packed stadium in Croke Park.

Again its posts like this that a young lad like DOC could do without. First semi final Cillian O Connor was man of the match and I feel a few are going a little OTT with DOC performance in the replay so much so that it was enough for him to be voted the player of the year on the mayogaablog however if one was to judge the calender year I think AOS,Keegan,Parsons had a better year than DOC.

Scoring is one thing DOC has to improve on, between FBD,NFL and championship he only scored 0-9 to put that scoring into context a overlooked Adam Gallagher scored 0-9 in one game for Mayo last year.

Shrewdness

That backs up my posts above about Harney, Murtagh and Smith who are all free scoring players. I genuinely wouldn't swap any of them for O' Connor or any young player from Mayo or elsewhere.

larryin89

Quote from: Shrewdness on December 07, 2015, 07:19:47 PM
That backs up my posts above about Harney, Murtagh and Smith who are all free scoring players. I genuinely wouldn't swap any of them for O' Connor or any young player from Mayo or elsewhere.

But they still have to do it on the big stage , we know better than most forwards who can shoot the lights out in Connacht and even in quarters and semis (yer bucks haven't even won a fookin Connacht for crying out loud ) but went missing on the biggest day of them all and this has cast a shadow on how good they actually were ,Conor Mortimer being the best example.

Like I have said before these guys you mention look like they have potential but there first test as such was this years championship and v Sligo ye were brutal despite all the hype where as we just went and blitzed the same Sligo team a few weeks later . Now you can gloss over that with all the ifs and buts you want but that is pretty much fact of the matter stuff . The coming year will be a big test for this Roscommon team , for your sake they'd want to show up and strut their stuff but I still believe ye are making a lot of assumptions about a particular crop . Time will tell though and ffs ye must be sick of this continuos repetitive Mayo / Ross shite as the Sligo buck above put it . Give it a rest now , yer creating a false image of a rivalry that's not even lively anymore these past few years because truthfully we have moved into a different level in the modern era.

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Blowitupref

Quote from: larryin89 on December 07, 2015, 09:30:26 PM

But they still have to do it on the big stage , we know better than most forwards who can shoot the lights out in Connacht and even in quarters and semis (yer bucks haven't even won a fookin Connacht for crying out loud ) but went missing on the biggest day of them all and this has cast a shadow on how good they actually were ,Conor Mortimer being the best example.

Emlyn Mulligan is arguably the best forward in Connacht but he will likely retire without a Connacht medal or get the chance to showcase his skills in the business end of championship. Now that would be different story if he played for Mayo and he would probably have a few all stars to his name by now.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

larryin89

Quote from: Blowitupref on December 07, 2015, 09:59:16 PM

Emlyn Mulligan is arguably the best forward in Connacht but he will likely retire without a Connacht medal or get the chance to showcase his skills in the business end of championship. Now that would be different story if he played for Mayo and he would probably have a few all stars to his name by now.

I don't agree tbh that he is anywhere near the best forward in Connacht , a decent forward yes. I see what you're getting at of course ,the aul Declan Browne of tipp type argument and what if he were born in Kerry etc. There is merit to this spin but it's not as black and white either .

The Roscommon buckeens don't just say they have one decent forward either and you have taken this particular discussion  out of context in that sense , they maintain they have a bus load of forwards who could dander up to mchale park and waltz their way onto the Mayo team in theory because of their outstanding brilliance in comparison to our bucks . Which is a complete load of bollix and when we reflect on this Mayo team in the years after only then will it dawn on some how magnificent our lads have been.

But in the meantime we are just expected to take it on the chin how a five in a row provincial winning team are so bloody ordinary and our forwards are second best to a set of forwards who couldn't bate Sligo in this years championship . Honestly , would ye ever just fookoff and lets see how good your boys are in castlebar next July if we both make it to CF , what if we make an absolute c u nt of them again , are they still going to be rated highly in here but nowhere else in the world ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

muppet

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 07, 2015, 05:35:48 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 07, 2015, 05:16:31 PM
Arra Lar will ya start actin yer age and don't mind Syfín. :-[
I know, I know but every once in a while, I just get the urge to have a biteen of craic and today is one hell of a lousy day and I can't even  put the dog out; the ignorant hoor just bared his teeth and growled when I pointed ayt the door. So what else could a body do?? :D

Can he play in the full back line?
MWWSI 2017

Blowitupref

Quote from: larryin89 on December 07, 2015, 10:21:49 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on December 07, 2015, 09:59:16 PM

I don't agree tbh that he is anywhere near the best forward in Connacht , a decent forward yes. I see what you're getting at of course ,the aul Declan Browne of tipp type argument and what if he were born in Kerry etc. There is merit to this spin but it's not as black and white either .

You need to watch Mulligan a bit closer if you form that opinion. Declan Browne was one of the best forwards I have seen if I were to pick the best 15 of my lifetime Browne would be on that team.

Lesser teams also have some top players and I think this is something you will need to understand.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Lar Naparka

This is all going nowhere as my erudite colleague , Larry, has more or less stated. We can argue all day and night but it's a case of preaching to the converted and nothing else.
Realistically, the championships to begin before even having this type of discussion argument. And when the respective teams have finished their run, we can then compare like with like- not that I have any particular interest in doing so.
This is just my opinion mind you, but it seems to me that I can pick up a bit of envy on your side of the mearing fence."Okay, wye have yer 5-in-a-row but we are the FBD champions and we have the best young players in the county and yer man who got YPOTY would get a smell in here as we have at least three that are better by miles than he is." s
That may be a bit exaggerated but not by much.
As I said to you earlier, you must compare like with like; DOC scores less that any of your three lads. ERgo, he's not as good as any of them and he was crap in the Sigerson also.etec.
That's not like with like- not by a long shot.
Supposing Smith or Harney or Smith (I got them all right?) faced the likes of the Dublin n front of a full house, would any of them shoot the lights out?
No way can a Sigerson game or a back door match against a mediocre team compare to that.
Anyway, I couldn't give a damn really. What's done is done and I'm looking ahead to next year and we'll see what it brings.

(BTW, I know all Rossies don't behave like the gobshites in the jacks that I mentioned. I thought I had gone to great pains to point that out and that all counties have their quota. But I was being told that the likes of this never happened.. and this was just one example to put a lie to that. I know far more decent Rossies than rogue ones and that's for sure. Tell Syf to calm down and not to let Rossfan bother him so much. ;D)

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 07, 2015, 10:57:25 PM
This is all going nowhere as my erudite colleague , Larry, has more or less stated. We can argue all day and night but it's a case of preaching to the converted and nothing else.
Realistically, the championships to begin before even having this type of discussion argument. And when the respective teams have finished their run, we can then compare like with like- not that I have any particular interest in doing so.
This is just my opinion mind you, but it seems to me that I can pick up a bit of envy on your side of the mearing fence."Okay, wye have yer 5-in-a-row but we are the FBD champions and we have the best young players in the county and yer man who got YPOTY would get a smell in here as we have at least three that are better by miles than he is." s
As I said to you earlier, you must compare like with like; DOC scores less that any of your three lads. ERgo, he's not as good as any of them and he was crap in the Sigerson also.etec.
Supposing Smith or Harney or Smith (I got them all right?) faced the likes of the Dublin n front of a full house, would any of them shoot the lights out?
No way can a Sigerson game or a back door match against a mediocre team compare to that.
Anyway, I couldn't give a damn really. What's done is done and I'm looking ahead to next year and we'll see what it brings.

(BTW, I know all Rossies don't behave like the gobshites in the jacks that I mentioned. I thought I had gone to great pains to point that out and that all counties have their quota. But I was being told that the likes of this never happened.. and this was just one example to put a lie to that. I know far more decent Rossies than rogue ones and that's for sure. Tell Syf to calm down and not to let Rossfan bother him so much. ;D)

*Vast majority.

Shrewdness

Lar, it`s actually Smith, Harney and Murtagh I was referring to. Should be pointed out that Murtagh
played against Sligo despite failing a fitness test, came on against Cavan and scored two
points when clearly not fit, and as a result, missed the Fermanagh defeat, as did Senan Kilbride.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on December 07, 2015, 11:44:52 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 07, 2015, 10:57:25 PM

*Vast majority.
C'mon Syf and stop throwing yer rattle outa yer pram. ;D
You bolded the word all and changed it to vast majority to make a point but how come you didn't have anything to say about " I know far more decent Rossies than rogue ones and that's for sure?"
Where's the difference between that and your "vast majority."
My guess is that you didn't read my post through before responding to an insult that just wasn't there.

theyellowbus

What are Roscommon fans genuine expectations for next year to class 2016 a successful tenure under the new management or bottom line targets which the management must achieve to keep their jobs for 2017?

My genuine expectations would be to perform in most league games and hopefully avoiding relegation.

Getting to a Connacht final and hopefully putting in a performance to be there or there abouts at the final whistle.

If entering the qualifiers (at whatever stage) that we try to make the last eight.

That the management instil some sort of tactical approach or game plan that the squad buy into and work on that makes us a bloody hard team to beat.

That some of this young talent that has been getting to the latter stages of Minor and U21 championships over the last few years steps up to the plate at Senior level.

Bottom line targets
Win at least three championship games (at least 1 in Connacht)
Win two home league games