The Official Roscommon Thread

Started by Shrewdness, November 30, 2015, 01:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

Beffs and larryin89, i hope that i didn't give the impression that i was taking Monaghan, Down or Mayo for granted, because i'm not. They will be 3 difficult games as well. A lot of people won't be shocked if we lose most or all of our games. I just think that our best chance of points might be from those three games, but as i said above, i certainly wouldn't be taking any of them for granted.

Rossfan

Quote from: Shrewdness on December 08, 2015, 09:28:21 PM
There are a lot of talented young players waiting in the wings, so hopefully many of them will
at least get a run in the FBD
13 students on the panel means they will be playing for the untouchables instead of getting a trial run with their County >:(
Add in 10 or 11 injuries and we'll be doing well to find 21 for each game in th'effbeedee.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on December 11, 2015, 12:29:12 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on December 08, 2015, 09:28:21 PM
There are a lot of talented young players waiting in the wings, so hopefully many of them will
at least get a run in the FBD
13 students on the panel means they will be playing for the untouchables instead of getting a trial run with their County >:(
Add in 10 or 11 injuries and we'll be doing well to find 21 for each game in th'effbeedee.
I'd say most if not all county managers would be glad to see the back of th'effbeedee, if the truth was to be told. Back in the time when only counties were involved, there was a bit of bite in the games as players on the fringe got a chance to stake a league place if nothing else.  No insult to the third level colleges but the fact that a manager can't select his college players means he can't use the FBD to help him build his team for the league and championship.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Shrewdness

Totally agree with Rossfan and Lar. In it's current format, the FBD is of very little use to County teams.

Syferus

Should be a Connacht league without colleges. No finals. Top team wins the cup. No benefit playing colleges. Some benefit to playing other county teams.

Rossfan

These Colleges seem a protected species in GAAland.
Top brass want to get rid of U21( football only which is totally baffling) to save lads from burnout but no attempt to squeeze the unnecessary Colleges competitions.
As it stands County managers would be better organising mid week challenges than trying to field artificial teams in the January competitions.

Syferus

Looks like someone deleted Stolen Sheep?

Shrewdness

I wonder what caused that. This is no time to lose our own dedicated website, and we on the cusp of a new era. Maybe there will be an influx of some of the posters onto this forum. Those of us on here are very restrained in our views and comments, compared to a few of the lads on Stolen Sheep.

Rossfan

Thought it was just my phone acting up. Hope someone can restore it to life.
Despite a few arseholes it was a great oul site.
Won't be the same posting here with all the neighbours sniping their oul crap at us. :'(

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on December 12, 2015, 12:08:09 PM
Won't be the same posting here with all the neighbours sniping their oul crap at us. :'(
Did any of you buckos try posting there lately?
The Domain Name is on sale now  and it will cost a mere $2,295 to buy it.
That means the owner of the Domain Name hasn't made an attempt to renew the  name (stolensheep.com) for around 70 days. (Don't worry; just take my word for this.)

That's why I imagine someone of you, if you tried posting, would have found that the site was offline before now.
(Syf, I'd say you would know all about this sort of stuff.)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 13, 2015, 02:36:42 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 12, 2015, 12:08:09 PM
Did any of you buckos try posting there lately?
The Domain Name is on sale now  and it will cost a mere $2,295 to buy it.
That means the owner of the Domain Name hasn't made an attempt to renew the  name (stolensheep.com) for around 70 days. (Don't worry; just take my word for this.)

That's why I imagine someone of you, if you tried posting, would have found that the site was offline before now.
(Syf, I'd say you would know all about this sort of stuff.)

Domain wasn't stolensheep.com though, Lar. It was hosted at stolensheep.proboards.com, ProBoards being a free service that lets you create forums (it's ad supported). The decision to shut the forum could only be taken by the Admin, a John Flanagan (that was his username so that isn't revealing his identity in a meaningful way) who has posted a single time in all the years I've been there. Iirc he he's living aboard for a number of years so it's not like someone could go up to him and ask him what's happened.

stolensheep.com is just some domain swatter - it's very common for people to take domains that sound like they might somehow be valuable to someone at some future point. Charge them an arm and a leg for what would otherwise cost 30-50 euro. Why someone thought stolensheep.com was a valuable domain, well that's a question for a seriously addled mind.

Shrewdness

Interesting interview with Kevin Mc Stay in the 'Roscommon People'.

larryin89

Quote from: Shrewdness on December 13, 2015, 02:28:00 PM
Interesting interview with Kevin Mc Stay in the 'Roscommon People'.

What was he saying ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

My nerdy friend tells me stolen sheep is being resurrected as http://stolen-sheep.proboards.com

Shrewdness

larryin89, i'm not sure how to put up a link to the article, so i'll quickly mention a few things. ... He's very excited about the year ahead, but knows big challenges lie ahead.....41 players in current squad, of which 11 are carrying injuries and 13 are students, also training with colleges. He expects to field a strong team in FBD against Mayo......Every game in 2016 will be like an All Ireland, and he wants the supporters to ''reconnect'' with the team and to take ownership of the team..First game is a challenge against Laois in Kiltoom, next Saturday night at 7pm. Half the proceeds go to charity, and half to a players fund.