The Official Roscommon Thread

Started by Shrewdness, November 30, 2015, 01:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

Quote from: Shrewdness on December 13, 2015, 06:09:22 PM
larryin89, i'm not sure how to put up a link to the article, so i'll quickly mention a few things. ... He's very excited about the year ahead, but knows big challenges lie ahead.....41 players in current squad, of which 11 are carrying injuries and 13 are students, also training with colleges. He expects to field a strong team in FBD against Mayo......Every game in 2016 will be like an All Ireland, and he wants the supporters to ''reconnect'' with the team and to take ownership of the team..First game is a challenge against Laois in Kiltoom, next Saturday night at 7pm. Half the proceeds go to charity, and half to a players fund.

Well there will be a severe lack of experience in that regard , lol.

Nah man , that's pretty much what you'd expect him to say , he's not a daftie and is obviously well clued in with dealing with media (Sunday game and all that jazz) . Not sure why he's concerned with fbd game v Mayo though , we won't be . 

If Ross maintain division one status and win the Nestor cup , I would think Kevin has made a massive difference but like I have mentioned previously if the opposite happens IE relegation and a hammering in castlebar in Cf, then I would deem his first year unsuccessful and bad judgement from Ross board to force Evans out . Not that I think Evans was going anywhere fast but it's the first year in div one challenge that most people would of said Ye should of backed Evans for another year.

Best of luck to mcstay though (still want to bate ye out the gate every time though) , he's going to be under serious pressure I think .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Shrewdness

larryin89, when Mc Stay mentioned the Mayo FBD game, i think he meant that he hopes to have a strong team available, by the time they play Mayo, because of all the injuries they currently have.....Re John Evans, i think the Co Board were actually prepared to ratify him for another year. It was the majority of clubs who wanted him out. When the Co Board got wind of this, they notified Evans ahead of the ratification vote. Evans then announced he was stepping down. He'd still be there if the Co Board had their way. Mc Stay was full of praise for the Ros Co Board since he took over, and also praised Club Rossie for the way they've taken care of bringing the Dublin based players to training.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Shrewdness on December 13, 2015, 07:05:29 PM
larryin89, when Mc Stay mentioned the Mayo FBD game, i think he meant that he hopes to have a strong team available, by the time they play Mayo, because of all the injuries they currently have.....Re John Evans, i think the Co Board were actually prepared to ratify him for another year. It was the majority of clubs who wanted him out. When the Co Board got wind of this, they notified Evans ahead of the ratification vote. Evans then announced he was stepping down. He'd still be there if the Co Board had their way. Mc Stay was full of praise for the Ros Co Board since he took over, and also praised Club Rossie for the way they've taken care of bringing the Dublin based players to training.
Fair enough, Evans wasn't publicly humiliated like Pateen ans Noel were on our side of the fence. (It seems no one has found out yet who the f**cker that leaked the story was.)
I don't know enough about your internal affairs to figure out why the clubs wanted to shaft John Evans. Neutral observers that I've discussed the matter with were surprised that Evans was let go.  It does mean that MsStay and Fergie will be under some pressure to show that getting rid of Evans was a worthwhile exercise.
Hard to tell but  I'd expect an improvement under the new management.
I'd like to see Ross coming on a bit because it's in no one's favour that the gap between Mayo and the rest is so wide at present. In any event, I wish Kevin and Fergie well- if they can't smarten up your team, nobody can.

PS Like Larry, I wouldn't br to worried about the FBD. I'd say Rochford is hoping that he gets through the charade without anu serious injuries and TBH, I'd magine that Mac and every other manager feels the same way.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Clubs and others wanted to shake hand and bid farewell to John Evans because it was felt he had ::) gone past his sell by date.
Felt he hadn't the ability to take us further and the performance s v Sligo and Fermanagh confirmed that.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Shrewdness

Mc Stay mentioned those two games in that interview. He said, on paper, Ros look to have a favourable draw in the championship. But, he said that we also looked to have a favourable draw in 2015, and we all saw what happened. He warned against high expectations too soon, and stated that the new management are starting off with a team that lost to both Sligo and Fermanagh..But, he did say that he expects Roscommon to be competitive in 2016, and that their going to have some fun along the way.

Syferus

Kevin knows how to handle the media and expectations. FOD will be quietly happy that McStay will get most of the attention and he can concentrate on coaching. I think it's a really good pairing of two men who won't let their egos get in the way of the job at hand.

Shrewdness

Are any of the other Rossies here going to the match in Kiltoom on Saturday night? It might only be a challenge match, but it will be great to see Ros in action again.. The fact that it's the first game for our new management, will also add to the interest level.....By all accounts, there was a good crowd at the 'Club Rossie' event in Dublin last night, with Kevin Mc Stay and Enda Smith in attendance.

Syferus

If the weather's good I might head down. Big if looking at how it's been today though.

Rossfan

Syferus

Roscommon won tonight. Sounds like a good crowd turned up to gawk at McStay and FOD. Claffey, Purcell, Devanney and Kilroy made their first starts in years. John Mac and Niall Mc started and Featherston got a run at FB.

Shrewdness

The result was Roscommon 4-13 , Laois 1-8

Rossfan

Couldn't make it tonight. Purcell, Devaney and Kilroy back on squad. Hmmmmmm.....
Can't see 2 of them playing in Div 1.

giveballaghback

Was there tonight, sort of a harmless game but Ros played with great pace at times, played with half the panel and I presume the other half of the panel will line out against meath. this was the team as they lined out tonight.
Claffey, seanie,Fetherstone,David Murry,Stack, Purcell, Niall McInerney, Mcmanus, E. Smith, Cian Connolly, Niall Kilroy Coner Deveney, D. Murtagh, Cregger, C. Murtagh. Subs B. Murtagh, T. Lowe, F. Cregg, Gary Patterson, Shane O Malley.
Would not be fair to comment on any performance good or bad and there were both.
ht 2-8 to 1-4, full time 4-13 to 1-9. game was 60 minutes.

Rossfan

Ballagh, is that Fintan or Finbar Cregg ?

giveballaghback

It was Fintan rossfan, I see twitter are saying Laois scored 1-8 but I made it 1-9, have been trying to work out what the alternative team will be against Meath but for the life of me I cant figure one out without playing many players out of position.