Would you vote for a United Ireland ?

Started by seafoid, November 26, 2015, 10:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you vote for a United Ireland ? If so, why?

Yes
73 (77.7%)
No
12 (12.8%)
Not sure
9 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 94

armaghniac

Quote from: screenexile on November 27, 2015, 02:46:27 PM
Is it?!! The Health System is completely fucked and expensive! The public sector is massively over subscribed. We would have to pay a "Universal Social Charge" whatever the f**k that is. Throw that in along with the Water Tax, the insurance levy, the price of accomodation buying or renting. The Banking system is inherently flawed in the mortgage market as there isn't enough competition.

Everything's relatively expensive compared to UK ... rent, gas, mobile phones (Way more expensive than UK), Sky, Internet, general food, clothes, alcohol.

This is the type of mixture of exaggeration, half truth and simplification that often characterises this debate.

The Republic's health service shows an alarming failure to ensure consistent service, but the vast majority of people get good service. The public sector in the 26 counties is not over subsribed by any reasonable measure, rather it needs more people in many sectors. If too many public servants were objectionable than you wouldn't want to live in NI. Everyone in the UK, except NI, pays for their water, I'd hazard a guess that by the time any UI is possible NI will too. Everyone in NI is paying £1000+ in rates, far beyond the sum of property taxes and water charges in the South. The mortgage market is at a particular point in time, not that long ago mortgages were handed out and that wasn't ideal either.

At present exchange rates I doubt whether food etc is more expensive. I'd say that you'll still be able to park in Newry or Enniskillen over the next few weekends. Internet is not more expensive. The price of phones is the same, it is the price of contracts that any differ.

Basically though, this is all swings and roundabouts. The obstacle to a UI is that NI is an economic basket case, not any of the above. The price of cornflakes is not material to the issue.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on November 27, 2015, 06:02:05 PM
Is it?!! The Health System is completely fucked and expensive! The public sector is massively over subscribed. We would have to pay a "Universal Social Charge" whatever the f**k that is. Throw that in along with the Water Tax, the insurance levy, the price of accomodation buying or renting. The Banking system is inherently flawed in the mortgage market as there isn't enough competition.

Everything's relatively expensive compared to UK ... rent, gas, mobile phones (Way more expensive than UK), Sky, Internet, general food, clothes, alcohol.

This is the type of mixture of exaggeration, half truth and simplification that often characterises this debate.

The Republic's health service shows an alarming failure to ensure consistent service, but the vast majority of people get good service. The public sector in the 26 counties is not over subsribed by any reasonable measure, rather it needs more people in many sectors. If too many public servants were objectionable than you wouldn't want to live in NI. Everyone in the UK, except NI, pays for their water, I'd hazard a guess that by the time any UI is possible NI will too. Everyone in NI is paying £1000+ in rates, far beyond the sum of property taxes and water charges in the South. The mortgage market is at a particular point in time, not that long ago mortgages were handed out and that wasn't ideal either.

At present exchange rates I doubt whether food etc is more expensive. I'd say that you'll still be able to park in Newry or Enniskillen over the next few weekends. Internet is not more expensive. The price of phones is the same, it is the price of contracts that any differ.

Basically though, this is all swings and roundabouts. The obstacle to a UI is that NI is an economic basket case, not any of the above. The price of cornflakes is not material to the issue.
The Shinners should pay for the fact it is a basket case because the Volunteers had a lot to do with it. 

laoislad

Would anyone object to them keeping Tyrone and Armagh and giving us back the rest of them?
I'd vote for that.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

thejuice

I would vote yes. Sure it won't be perfect but a change would be nice. And I'd bring back the punt as well.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

charlieTully

Quote from: laoislad on November 27, 2015, 07:29:21 PM
Would anyone object to them keeping Tyrone and Armagh and giving us back the rest of them?
I'd vote for that.

that's actually quite appealing.

periere

I'm not sure it is that important. People are more European these days.

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on November 27, 2015, 06:02:05 PM

On the health service point, the majority pay for health insurance and pay every time they visit the GP or A&E.

imtommygunn

Armaghniac is everyone really paying 1000 plus on rates in ni? Where is that figure from? What is the average?

I know quite a few paying less and they're not in bad areas. I guess maybe it depends on postcode.

I wouldn't worry about health service comparisons in any debates. The tories are systematically destroying the nhs so it'll be paid for soon enough.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 27, 2015, 10:18:12 PM
Armaghniac is everyone really paying 1000 plus on rates in ni? Where is that figure from? What is the average?

I know quite a few paying less and they're not in bad areas. I guess maybe it depends on postcode.

I might have rounded up a bit here, the average is around £900. This doesn't hugely change my point though, that's €1280 and that's more than many in the 26 paying in total from property tax, water and bins. Swings and roundabouts, as I said.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rois

For what it is worth, I voted for a united Ireland, always will. We could be a much stronger unit together. No one, apart from us, cares. They all think we're Irish anyway.

Rossfan

Quote from: Rois on November 27, 2015, 11:31:15 PM
They all think we're Irish anyway.
We are.
Some just choose to be loyal to a State which doesn't particularly want them or care two hoots about them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

The machinations of Sinn Fein (surrendering welfare finances over to HM Tory Government in the North,while standing up for the poor in the South) shows the incompability of Northern and Southern nationalists never mind factoring unionists in.We are not regarded as British by the Engkish Scottish or Welsh nor are we regarded as Irish by the majority in the freestate,and in truth both communities have more in common with each other than we have with British or Southern Irish.

periere

Quote from: Rossfan on November 27, 2015, 11:43:50 PM
We are.
Some just choose to be loyal to a State which doesn't particularly want them or care two hoots about them.

do you really care that much or are you just venting ? honest question.

Rossfan

Quote from: periere on November 28, 2015, 12:08:07 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 27, 2015, 11:43:50 PM
We are.

do you really care that much or are you just venting ? honest question.
I do care. I want to see all of my Country free and Independent. However arrangements will have to be made for those in the 6 Cos who choose to see themselves as British.
Mind you if the Scots decide in future to go it alone there will be no British Nationality or citizenship.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

periere

If the "British" in the 6 counties decide they hate you and everything to do with you and decide their one goal in life is to kill you.

What words will you use then ?

I'm not saying that  your point of view does not have its merits . I just did the obvious thought experiment and came up with the cautious, but realistic, answer. We are at a very good point in our history.  The status quo is ok.