Would you vote for a United Ireland ?

Started by seafoid, November 26, 2015, 10:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you vote for a United Ireland ? If so, why?

Yes
73 (77.7%)
No
12 (12.8%)
Not sure
9 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Maguire01

Quote from: seafoid on November 28, 2015, 06:00:01 PM
Quote from: general_lee on November 28, 2015, 04:29:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2015, 01:17:29 PM
Would certain banks move out??
I'd have thought banks would welcome the move. Streamlining, cutting back on costs on operations in two jurisdictions etc.  Possibly the sad for insurance companies? Could be well off but I'd have thought the banks would be open to the move. Certainly the potential for more business.
Most of the banks and insurance companies are or will be owned by foreign companies because the Southern catholics fucked up running them. They would have been better off left under Protestant management TBH. Eg AIB, BoI, Anglo, Irish Life etc
... Presbyterian Mutual Society...

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

general_lee

I'd have thought banks would welcome the move. Streamlining, cutting back on costs on operations in two jurisdictions etc.  Possibly the sad for insurance companies? Could be well off but I'd have thought the banks would be open to the move. Certainly the potential for more business.
Most of the banks and insurance companies are or will be owned by foreign companies because the Southern catholics fucked up running them. They would have been better off left under Protestant management TBH. Eg AIB, BoI, Anglo, Irish Life etc
plenty of uk banks fucked up sure Ulster bank is owned by RBS

balladmaker

Yes, because it makes no sense whatsoever, either political or economical, that an island the size of Ireland should be divided.  I don't think it would be a United Ireland as aspired to over the years, I'd refer to it as a new Ireland which has yet to be shaped and one which will be much better than what we have at present, either north or south.

seafoid

Quote from: general_lee on November 29, 2015, 10:53:34 PM
plenty of uk banks fucked up sure Ulster bank is owned by RBS
Yeah but they will still be owned by brits. Watch out to see how many Irish banks are owned  by locals in future

Keyser soze

Quote from: T Fearon on November 28, 2015, 01:27:35 PM
I doubt if a majority of the 26 county electorate would vote for a UI,a prerequisite as well as a Northern majority I would presume.Interesting at a Brexit conference I attended in Newry (due to the location the vast majority of the audience was Northern nationalist) recently,one of the guest speakers Bertie Ahern, emphasised at the start that he was there in the capacity as a "good neighbour", not as a fellow Irish nationalist,now if that's the way an old time Fianna Fáil leader thinks,God help us all.

If by some miracle there was a majority vote in favour of a UI,North and South,Northerners would be viewed with suspicision and inevitably treated as second class citizens and not regarded as being truly Irish.

The way forward is the establishment a promotion of a Common Northern Irish identity, to push sectarianism and xenophobia out to the margins,with the existing de facto joint authority between Britain and the 26 counties,with the 26 counties beefing up their current endorsing of everything Britain says role.

Is there any way of turning this nonsense fountain off???

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on November 27, 2015, 11:44:16 PM
The machinations of Sinn Fein (surrendering welfare finances over to HM Tory Government in the North,while standing up for the poor in the South) shows the incompability of Northern and Southern nationalists never mind factoring unionists in.We are not regarded as British by the Engkish Scottish or Welsh nor are we regarded as Irish by the majority in the freestate,and in truth both communities have more in common with each other than we have with British or Southern Irish.
Same bullshit different thread, getting old Tony.

Farrandeelin

So Tony, seen as unionists and nationalists in the 6 counties are culturally similar, have both culturss agreed a name for the city/county we call Derry?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

T Fearon

You dont understand.Northern Irish culture and new politics will render meaningless crap like Derry/Londonderry to oblivion as the failed politics of unionism and nationalism are no longer in the ascendancy.

imtommygunn

It will... Where will these new politics come from?

Rossfan

Quote from: T Fearon on February 02, 2016, 09:02:44 PM
You dont understand.Northern Irish culture
Please enlighten us as to what exactly that is.
Only thing I'm aware of is eejits dressed up in suits and bowler hats parading to awful music.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

You dont understand.Northern Irish culture and new politics will render meaningless crap like Derry/Londonderry to oblivion as the failed politics of unionism and nationalism are no longer in the ascendancy.

So what name have ye agreed on?

T Fearon

New politics needed because unionism/nationalism is mutually exclusive and has produced bitterness,division,violence and dysfunctional government.The status quo,has and won't ever achieve anything,only oneupmanship,tribalism,and further division,so what's the point of adhering to these two old and failed philosophies.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: T Fearon on February 02, 2016, 09:49:48 PM
New politics needed because unionism/nationalism is mutually exclusive and has produced bitterness,division,violence and dysfunctional government.The status quo,has and won't ever achieve anything,only oneupmanship,tribalism,and further division,so what's the point of adhering to these two old and failed philosophies.
Indeed, and how do you create a culture with all these things you've mentioned. Just forget about evrrything?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Rossfan on February 02, 2016, 09:21:02 PM
You dont understand.Northern Irish culture
Please enlighten us as to what exactly that is.
Only thing I'm aware of is eejits dressed up in suits and bowler hats parading to awful music.
Please don't make fun of the wee daftee wean as Tony would become known in the new language of Norlann Airlaan.